PDA

View Full Version : Avoid DOT and State Police in Maryland!!

ProLockers
07-12-2006, 12:31 PM
We just got information from a reliable source that state police and DOT in the state of Maryland for the next six months are going to be targeting landscape contractors and trash haulers for proper tarp loads and properly secured equipment. Make sure your debris is tarped, your equipment is properly secured and that your trucks and trailers are up to snuff on all regs to avoid hefty fines. This is not a marketing ploy, this is fact. Being landscape contractors ourselves, we don't want to see anyone out there facing huge tickets.

Mark Kenny
ProLawn Equipment/ProLockers

AlleganyLawnCare
07-12-2006, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the tip! I appreciate the headsup.

Chris,
Allegany Lawncare Services
Western Maryland

Aaron's Lawn Care
07-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the warning!

tacoma200
07-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Yes, I've driven truck thru there. Your first name has to be Barney to even apply for a DOT or Trooper job. They made me sweep mud off my trailer that was under a load of steel (must have come off fork lift forks when loaded). I only had 3" of clearence under the load on an 8' flatbed. Took about 2 hours with a broom handle to get it out.

Gumby
07-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I travel a very heavily patrolled section on route 301 (DOT patrols) and will probably notice the additional attention.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
07-12-2006, 08:51 PM
They have ben out for some time around me-SOUTHERN MARYLAND- area
normally have the ford expedition or the ford or chevy 2500 pick up

SodKing
07-12-2006, 09:07 PM
I aggree with that NH is after the landscapers as well...

mcwlandscaping
07-12-2006, 09:16 PM
I aggree with that NH is after the landscapers as well...
where in NH are you from?

jsbmaine
07-12-2006, 09:18 PM
hmmm, probably should be doing all those things anyway. I don't mind the DOT checking for properly secured and tarped loads, that's a saftey issue. It's when I have 1 marker light out on a 48' flatbed and get a ticket that I get annoyed.

Albemarle Lawn
07-12-2006, 09:26 PM
last week a piece of debris flew from an untarped trailer into my windshield. Guy hit and ran, we found him, he denied it and now I must sue his sorry azz to collect.

Also, sick of all the scrubs and big companies with unsecure mowers. You can hang my truck upside down with a crane and everything will stay on board.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks alot. Saftey is always important. But somtimes they have nothing better to do...

ProStreetCamaro
07-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Also, sick of all the scrubs and big companies with unsecure mowers. You can hang my truck upside down with a crane and everything will stay on board.

Would you like a cookie?

DBL
07-12-2006, 11:07 PM
we strap and tarp everything down mainly because if a mower fell off id be pretty pissed but also i dont want to hurt anyone either

Brianslawn
07-12-2006, 11:08 PM
thats whats nice about arkansas. nobody gives a chit about that crap.

you got some nice products, prolockers. the walkers dont move around much for us so he just set the brakes.

ProStreetCamaro
07-12-2006, 11:12 PM
And just for the record I dont think I have ever seen anybody in maryland strap their mowers down unless they didnt have sides on the trailer.

Brianslawn
07-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Would you like a cookie?

haha... or a chest to pin the medal on???

SodKing
07-13-2006, 06:43 AM
where in NH are you from?

We are located in North Hampton

DBL
07-13-2006, 10:50 AM
And just for the record I dont think I have ever seen anybody in maryland strap their mowers down unless they didnt have sides on the trailer.

we didnt strap them down when we had pulled the mowers with our 14' but the 18' has no sides so we have to

WJW Lawn
07-13-2006, 11:00 AM
You can hang my trailer from a crane too. But everything would fall off. So please dont do that.

Brendan Smith
07-13-2006, 11:01 AM
it's easy for me to avoid the maryland dot police. i just live here :) :rolleyes:

i do however think it's cool that you all let each other know when the heat is on.:clapping:

ProStreetCamaro
07-13-2006, 01:03 PM
we didnt strap them down when we had pulled the mowers with our 14' but the 18' has no sides so we have to

Exactly there is no way this stuff can come off our trailer unless it gets flipped upside down. It has welded on steel sides that are about 2' tall. It is crammed on there tight and the tail gate rests against the back of the lazer or cub tank depending which unit we have loaded behind the gravely. I personaly dont see straps holding down a 1000 pound mower in the event of a roll over. Nor do I see prolockers doing any good either. A heavy mower would rip the prolocker right off the trailer or the prolocker would rip the boards off as it held onto the mowers caster.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/Mowers.jpg

WJW Lawn
07-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Yea but what about that Crane??? You gotta watch out for those things!

DBL
07-13-2006, 11:00 PM
even when we were pulling with the 14' everyones like you should strap them down and me and my brother were like what are they talking about and even without sides theres only a chance of them pivoting on the rear tires the ebrake holds them but not from going side to side pivoting on the locked rear tires

TWUllc
07-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Word of advice to anyone near me, stay off the beltway around I-95. They yank me over almost everytime I drive bye. 2 DOT, sitting in between the inner and outer loop. right before the 95 exits on the inner loop. Haven't gotten fined yet. :drinkup:

ProStreetCamaro
07-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Word of advice to anyone near me, stay off the beltway around I-95. They yank me over almost everytime I drive bye. 2 DOT, sitting in between the inner and outer loop. right before the 95 exits on the inner loop. Haven't gotten fined yet. :drinkup:

Whats your rig? Tow vehical and trailor size and stuff?

twj721
07-15-2006, 10:19 PM
__________________quote
guess you must have velcor on all the stuff that is laying on the dash board then ? HUH LOL

Liquidfast
07-15-2006, 10:41 PM
A message for prolockers:

I like your product and I would like to order it. Apparently, there aren't any dealers in Ontario, Canada, is that correct? Secondly, is there a way to incorporate an anti-theft concept to your product?

TWUllc
07-16-2006, 12:30 PM
2500HD GMC, & an 8.5x16 enclosed. All lettered up. The lettering, especially on the trailer, is what attracts them to me. I can run bye with my dump trailer, and they won't even take notice. And when I say they are picky with the rules, those SOB's are picky. But at the same time, I appreciate them trying to keep the roads safe, because I've seen some pretty hairy people and companies, not just LCO's, running around with equipment or other items just thrown in a trailer or truck or ladder rack, not even secured. The slow lane is a nice lane to be in, especially when you're beside an 18wheeler. :laugh:

stuffdeer
07-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Exactly there is no way this stuff can come off our trailer unless it gets flipped upside down. It has welded on steel sides that are about 2' tall. It is crammed on there tight and the tail gate rests against the back of the lazer or cub tank depending which unit we have loaded behind the gravely. I personaly dont see straps holding down a 1000 pound mower in the event of a roll over. Nor do I see prolockers doing any good either. A heavy mower would rip the prolocker right off the trailer or the prolocker would rip the boards off as it held onto the mowers caster.

Those are only 1ft high sides. Look at the casters on the 34z.
Heres a pic of a trailer with 2ft high sides...Big difference.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/stuffdeer/b23688fbf44df66f8cd5cc6533786c14.jpg

twj721
07-16-2006, 12:59 PM
how about this trailer set up and NO the tractor is not in the trailer it is on the other side of it it just looks like it is in the trailer

Mdirrigation
07-16-2006, 02:30 PM
If the dot or the state police pull you over in Maryland , get ready for the fines . If your truck and trailer has a combined gross weight of over 10,000 lbs , you need a medilal card . ( 7000 lb pick up and a dual axel trailer 7000 lb put you over) If your cans , mowers , and weedeaters arent secured , another ticket, they will check your electric brakes , and battery for your brakes. If you are unsafe or overloaded , the truck sits until you remedy the situation.

Maryland , if we cant ticket it we will tax it .

dcondon
07-16-2006, 03:41 PM
You can hang my trailer from a crane too. But everything would fall off. So please dont do that.

LMAO!!!!:laugh: :laugh:

BBN
07-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Sounds like a money grab by the state. Illinois conducts alot of speed traps in key interstate merges and cash in big. One place here last year a guy owned property next to the interstate. He was busted by the speedtrap. What did he do? Put up a huge sign in his field stating:

"Warning! Possible Illinois State Police speed trap ahead!":laugh:

It made the news and the state police whined on TV how it affected their ability to do their job. You would think they would appreciate people slowing down where two interstates merge together. I thought the police's job was to prevent crime. Not sit and wait to catch people in the act.

TWUllc
07-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Maryland , if we cant ticket it we will tax it .

No kidding. I was warned for not having an, EMPTY, 5 gallon gas can unsecured. Go DOT! :hammerhead:

Potomac Lawns Inc.
07-17-2006, 03:07 PM
there out today pulling trash trucks over in waldorf md on 301 north bound

ProLockers
07-18-2006, 09:02 AM
A message for prolockers:

I like your product and I would like to order it. Apparently, there aren't any dealers in Ontario, Canada, is that correct? Secondly, is there a way to incorporate an anti-theft concept to your product?

Liquidfast,
Thank you for your interest in our product. If you would like to order directly from our office I would be happy to help you with that. The only difference would be a shipping rate of $30.00 versus the US rate of $15.00. The ProLockers are designed to be used with a padlock to deter theft.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/prolawn/Clipboard01.jpg

If you would like to order directly from our office we can be reached at
(772) 229-1690 or you can e-mail me directly at customerservice@prolawnequipment.com. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. Have a great week!

Christina Quintero :headphones:
ProLawn Equipment Sales, LLC
www.prolockers.com

Tvov
07-18-2006, 09:33 AM

My first thought on seeing that picture... Do you really keep your mowers that clean all the time??

What little understanding I have of the laws/regulations about securing trailer loads, is that they have to be physically secured. Just having the mowers positioned so that they can't move wouldn't pass. They have to be strapped or have some other securing device attached.

What helps alot is to stay off highways when possible, and get to know your local police. Not that I would ever think of having an "unsecured" load on one of my trailers... Heaven's no!

For those guys who think their trailers are 100% up to snuff, good job but don't press your luck. DOT can and will find something wrong if they want to.

SodKing
07-18-2006, 10:32 AM
They have to have 4 points of fastening to the trailer. High sides don't mean a thing. they want the trailer and equipment to remain as one during a rollover.

ProStreetCamaro
07-18-2006, 11:27 AM
My first thought on seeing that picture... Do you really keep your mowers that clean all the time??

What little understanding I have of the laws/regulations about securing trailer loads, is that they have to be physically secured. Just having the mowers positioned so that they can't move wouldn't pass. They have to be strapped or have some other securing device attached.

What helps alot is to stay off highways when possible, and get to know your local police. Not that I would ever think of having an "unsecured" load on one of my trailers... Heaven's no!

For those guys who think their trailers are 100% up to snuff, good job but don't press your luck. DOT can and will find something wrong if they want to.

Actually we do clean them every other week and take great care of them. That lazer in that picture had 2,000 hours on it when I took the picture.

I know your "suppose" to have everything fastened down but like I said that takes time and I have never seen anybody fasten down their mowers in our 20 years of doing this unless they didnt have sides on the trailer. We dont travel the highway at all. None of our lawns are very far apart so we never get on the highway.

ProStreetCamaro
07-18-2006, 11:28 AM
They have to have 4 points of fastening to the trailer. High sides don't mean a thing. they want the trailer and equipment to remain as one during a rollover.

Not true. The prolockers are DOT approved and you only need 1 per mower.