PDA

View Full Version : Black (Afro-american) landscapers..Serious question

Liquidfast
07-12-2006, 06:26 PM
I am an above mentioned landscaper and I have a serious question.

Do you find it difficult to get/receive service at dealerships?
- I have been to three different dealers in the past 4 weeks and NOT ONCE did someone assist me or say they would be with me in a minute. Normally, I enjoy being followed around when I shop cuz assistance is just a holla away but I guess with the weight of the equipment, they aren't too concerned.

I am NOT trying to play the race card by any stretch of the imagination but when I am in line, or atleast appearing to need help and a woman gets served FIRST, I have to wonder.

Really, I am just curious.

Jay's Lawncare
07-12-2006, 06:33 PM
I don't find it difficult at all when it comes to service, generally though, it helps when you purchase the equipment from the dealer you are requesting service from...just my .02 cents...Jay

mulcahy mowing
07-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Do you already have a dealer you already work with? it was the same way last season here comes some kid no one would help me... then i dropped a few bucks here and there and now every time i walk in my sales person comes right over. it may not be the race card at all although my dealer is all about not being discriminatory in fact they do have more than one African American sales person and one female.
in the world we live in why should skin color matter?

hope this helps :)

Lynden-Jeff
07-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Where abouts in ontario are you? My dealer has no problems at all I don't think helping anyone! He is a pretty nice guy and willing to help just about anyone.

Cheers
Jeff

Liquidfast
07-12-2006, 06:46 PM
I am in Richmond Hill. At first, it wasn't a problem, I thought nothing of it but after today, I thought it was seriously annoying. I couldn't come up with any other explanation for it and was curious how others might be treated.

If it were just once, maybe twice no big deal but c'mon.

Freddy_Kruger
07-12-2006, 06:59 PM
If dealers are busy you have to wait thats what I hate so much about them. Not only do you wait sometimes for a half hour but they got no prices on a lot of their equipment they have to spend so much time looking up part numbers and talking to each customer it makes me sick. Its sure not like shopping at a real store like home depot. I wish home depot sold commercial equipment I would never go to a slow ass dealer again.

HenryB
07-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Don't take it personal around here dealers treat everyone bad or at least me. When my wife runs errands for me she says it' insane how odd mower shop people act ignoring her and other customers. They always seem mad.

Tharrell
07-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Sorry, don't want to hijack the thread. The guys at the dealerships get all kinds of people and I think they assume everyone coming in wants something for nothing, and they want it yesterday. Then they don't have the model number and can't understand why you can't help them. Or, they walk in huffy to start with and throw a part on the counter and grunt some gibberrish and the poor guy at the counter is supposed to look forward to that? I wouldn't want to work parts ANYWHERE.

pugs
07-12-2006, 08:26 PM
If dealers are busy you have to wait thats what I hate so much about them. Not only do you wait sometimes for a half hour but they got no prices on a lot of their equipment they have to spend so much time looking up part numbers and talking to each customer it makes me sick. Its sure not like shopping at a real store like home depot. I wish home depot sold commercial equipment I would never go to a slow ass dealer again.

Good plan. Have fun trying to get parts or service at those places...LOL

You sound alot like the people that come in to my place and ask me how much every single thing is with absolutely no need or intention to buy anything. Sounds like a machine gun going "how much how much how much how much how much how much"

tacoma200
07-12-2006, 08:31 PM
I know there are alot of racist people out there so I have no doubt that some would stereotype you and not wait on you as promptly as a white person. I'm white and even though races are suppose to be equal now I know that's not always the case. But I think this is the exeption rather than the rule. I've seen it and heard it (the jokes etc.) around work sites all around the country but I think it's improving. I hope you don't judge everyone (and I'm sure you don't) by a few. Not sure if this is true in your case but it's out there to some extent. Good luck. Just my opinion.

Liquidfast
07-12-2006, 08:31 PM

You sound alot like the people that come in to my place and ask me how much every single thing is with absolutely no need or intention to buy anything. Sounds like a machine gun going "how much how much how much how much how much how much"

I feel your pain....however, I went to this one local dealer three times asking prices (last year) well today, I bought a 48" walkbehind and a Robins backpack blower.......why? He treated me with respect from the moment I met him. IF I owned a shop, my customer service skills would be 110% ALL THE TIME.

crawdad
07-12-2006, 09:10 PM

Then you need to put price tags on stuff, if you don't want to talk to the customers.

Jpocket
07-12-2006, 09:34 PM
I have never had a problem around my neck of the woods getting service anywhere as soon as they know you are the owner/man with the money.

I think it has more to do with developing a relationship with the people you deal with. Not to say i've never had someone look at me cockeyed because im Black.

In other parts of the country im sure it's alittle different lol.

mike lane lawn care
07-12-2006, 09:50 PM
my dealer will help anyone who seems interseted in buying equipment, but once she has come to the conclusion that you aren't going to buy something that day, she becomes less than helpful. i encounter this when i am looking for prices on multiple pieces of equipment to see what i can afford. so i wouldn't take it personaly, i truely believe that most dealers hate commercial buyers unless they buy LOTS, they much prefer the clueless home owner.

greensway
07-12-2006, 10:34 PM
I was also wondering the same thing, after what, say 5 minutes nobody has come up to me to help me in a buying decision on a $10,000 mower that I have researched extensively before entering the store.

And the only thing that I have to whine about is that I am white guy and starting to thin out up top. ( I just know they are thinking this guy is only good for one sale ):usflag: