PDA

View Full Version : power rake on this yard?

bobbyg18
07-12-2006, 06:49 PM
i will be renting an s185 next week...can i use a power rake to level this yard out...will it go down far enough or is there some better attachment to use on a SSL

it is hard to tell from the pic, but it is very uneven and wavy... the cust wants a nice level (slight grade away from house) even yard

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d930b3127cce8b60da0b3c8c00000016108AbNmTdm0YtT

jazak
07-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Maybe use the bucket to get up the grass then used the power rake to losen up the dirt and then fill in what you have too. Thats what I would do.

tylermckee
07-12-2006, 07:31 PM
i would use the bucket and remove all the sod, then rough grade the yard. Then slap on the rake and finish it off.

TriCountyLawn
07-12-2006, 08:28 PM
yup sod cutter then power rake it then see where your at.

bobbyg18
07-12-2006, 08:35 PM
thanks...the yard really isnt that bad but she said her grandmother fell the other day in one of the low spots, so she wants it all level and seeded...thanks for the feedback...love this site

dccarling
07-12-2006, 08:56 PM
A power rake with the nubs on the roller will chew up that sod, I would go with just the power rake. I do it all the time with my harley MX8 and it works great, a real time saver.

bobbyg18
07-12-2006, 10:06 PM
when you guys say use the bucket to get up the sod then power rake, should i have the old sod 100 percent removed from the yard or can i just use my bucket to lift up and drop back down the current sod

Scag48
07-12-2006, 10:29 PM
You could rake the tops off, but you'd be creating a mess for yourself. That sod doesn't compact well, so the holes you fill with sod would just settle again. Best move is to remove all the sod via skid steer and bucket, rake with a Harley, then re-seed (most cost effective). Depending on how many holes and how deep they are, you might not have to do much more than fill the holes with a topsoil/sand/grass seed mix. That usually works well for me, just topdress the needed areas.

ksss
07-12-2006, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't try lifting the current sod with a bucket and putting it back down. I would either sod cut the entire thing and lay back down when your done if the grass is high quality. If not I would remove the sod and haul it off. loosen the soil and run the rock rake over it.

Gravel Rat
07-12-2006, 11:38 PM
If the grass is clean (no moss) then I would prolly go over top you know what is going to happen if you strip off the current grass and try regrade it. You will probably end up hitting rocks of Gibralter or heavy tree roots etc so you will end up building up the ground.

With the deep low spots pull up the sod fill in the low spot and replace the sod. If the grass is infested with weeds and has moss problems then I would say remove the old stuff and start over. A mini excavator with a clean up bucket could scrape up that old grass and dump it into a 1 ton dump pretty quick. Once the old grass is gone get the laser level set up and get the lawn level or smooth within a 1/16th of a inch :laugh:

I don't know about your weather but in my area I wouldn't temp to do a new lawn install with the hot weather its too much of a risk of killing the new sod.

Bob E G
07-30-2006, 11:36 AM
This should save you time and increase your profit on the job.

Cut the lawn short, aerate (for health of the existing lawn). Spread a thin layer of compost or compost soil mix over the yard. Use your harley rake very shallow, so that you just SKIM the existing lawn, but fill in the low spots. Work the soil both ways and it will be as smooth as glass. Fertilize, seed, drag--beautiful results without ripping and hauling all that sod--might get expensive. This way more profit and good results.

bobbyg18
07-31-2006, 08:09 PM
thanks...bobeg...nice name...

yeah, i was hoping to just use the harley rake to mix up the current grass, but i like your idea of thin layer of compost and then harley rake to mix up and fill low spots...

never used a harley, how hard is it to use?

i plan on doing this job next month, i also have 3 similar projects lined up