PDA

View Full Version : Draining a Transaxel

burlap
07-12-2006, 05:52 PM
I have Snapper ZTR with a Kohler 25 HP engine and Snapper says an Eaton transmission. It's working fine but I bought it used and don't know if and when the transmission fluid was changed. The owners manual isn't clear what I should be putting in it. It says to put a good grade of hydraulic fluid with SAE rating of 20W20, SAE 30, or SAE 40.Not being able to find a hydraulic fluid with SAE ratings I called Snapper and they say it means motor oil-10W30 should be fine.I tried taking some hoses off the bottom but I'm afraid of braking the barbed fitting the hoses slide onto. Is there any way to drain the fluid or do I just pump it out with a clean hand pump? Any experience with the fluid for that unit. There is a lot at stake if I make a mistake and damage the transmission. Thanks, burlap

Restrorob
07-12-2006, 06:14 PM
I can't help much on draining the old fluid because I have never done a Snapper, But ALL the Eaton hydros I have worked on over the years always stated SAE 30W engine oil. So I don't believe I would put 10W30 in one.

burlap
07-12-2006, 07:50 PM
I did find a nondetergent SAE 30 hydraulic fluid not recommended for crankcase use. I'll look for some SAE 30 motor oil-but should it be nondetergent? Thanks again for your prompt reply, burlap

Restrorob
07-12-2006, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't use non detergent, High detergent is all I used.