PDA

View Full Version : Marking Paint

MarcusLndscp
07-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Hey all!

Just wondering what you all use for marking paint. What brand? I'm fed up with the Lesco paint all it does is clog and half way through the can it loses it's color. The problem seems to be more prominent in the orange paint than the blue or white but those colors aren't always the best visibility wise.

At a place I use to work we used something called "Power Cartridge" or "Power Paint" or "Power Cartridge Paint" or something like that and it was great.

Any thoughts?

D Felix
07-12-2006, 09:54 PM
We buy it by the can at the local lumberyard... Probably not the most cost effective way. It's the DoIt Best brand.

The stuff that AM Leonard sells is decent paint:
http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=ezm

edit: I think this stuff says "guaranteed not to clog"!! :D

paponte
07-12-2006, 10:01 PM
We've tried just about everything, and have the same problems. Last stuff I bought said "guaranteed not to clog" right on the can. Needless to say we didn't get through half the can before it did.

Splicer
07-12-2006, 10:02 PM
!!!$37.99 Per Can?!?!?!?

D Felix
07-12-2006, 10:05 PM
I believe that's case (12) quantity.

Mike33
07-12-2006, 10:40 PM
i still buy the cheapest thing i can. Before the can gets that far we will loose it or someone picks it up. By the way my last bobcat we ran over a can, what a mess. That **** stayed on the side of my machine for 2 years. I wish bobcat used that stuff to paint with because there oem paint isnt worth crap.
Mike

DVS Hardscaper
07-12-2006, 10:49 PM
While on the subject - be sure to factor in the cost of 1 can of paint for each job. Every job we do, 1-2 cans is line itemed on the job cost sheet.

tthomass
07-12-2006, 11:34 PM
whatever they have a Lowe's or Home Crapo.......no issues except for orange fingers

Dirty Water
07-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Rustoleum professional inverted marking spray.

I don't use the "wand" thing, I prefer to bend over, but I've never had a can clog on me that simply turning it right side up didn't fix.

It also fades away after about 2 wks, which is good for us, as people don't like looking at marking paint in the middle of their yard forever.

My only complaint on how little paint is in the cans for their price. We usually go through 2-3 per job.

In the Captian Obvious deparment, shaking the can first does work wonders :laugh:

orionkf
07-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Rustoleum from a box store. Same problem with fading towards the end, but no clogging.

olderthandirt
07-12-2006, 11:50 PM
ODOT -state rd. marking paint in inverted cans. Works great only problem is the choice of colors yellow or white. Its what the state uses to mark the temp lines on the rd. with during construction/repaving

cleancutccl
07-13-2006, 12:40 AM
home cheapo by the case around 25 bucks, have only had one can not work properly.

Dreams To Designs
07-13-2006, 08:29 AM
AM Leonard paint has been the best for me, quality wise as well as price. I often use the spray chalk also which disappears much quicker, especially if it is for an estimate. That way, if someone bids after me, my marks and design ideas are faded. With AM Leonard, it is best to call and get a sales representative. They will give you the best pricing from the sale catalogs and the Internet.

Kirk

MarcusLndscp
07-13-2006, 08:04 PM
In the Captian Obvious deparment, shaking the can first does work wonders :laugh:

LOL Thanks for the bit of advise Dirty...I'll have to try that sometime:laugh:

D Felix
07-14-2006, 12:16 AM
This isn't the "Captain" Obvious department, it's the "Mr." Obvious department. :D

To keep the tip from clogging, after you use it turn it so the nozzle is up and spray the paint out until it is running clear. Just like a normal spray can of paint that you turn upside down, only turn these rightside up....

GreenMonster
07-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Clogging? Never had it happen. Maybe you should get one of the actual field guys to show you how to run a paint can :laugh:

Aervoe, from Landscaper's Supply, or I think it might be LandscaperPro now.