PDA

View Full Version : Blade Balancer

BRAD ROMEO
07-12-2006, 08:33 PM
does anybody know of other brands of blade balancers as good as the magna matic and less money.if so do they have a web addess. THANKS

barnard
07-12-2006, 09:42 PM
nope ,it's the best. Step up, pay the man ,and be done with it.

mowerman90
07-12-2006, 10:25 PM
I moaned and complained when I got mine too but there really isn't a better one on the market. I really complained when I bought their sharpener also but it too was well worth the money. You will find none better, believe me.

6'7 330
07-12-2006, 10:29 PM
There is a foreign knockoff imitation,and it ain't cheap, just a pale imitation of the original!! and best magna-matic !!

ProStreetCamaro
07-12-2006, 11:10 PM
I feel that its a gimmick. Reason being is the fact that in over 20 years we have had 2 spindles go bad and they were both sealed bearing spindles that lasted over 1,500+ hours anyway and they ran dry. You could hear them getting dry. We have never balanced a blade in our life with no problems. Heck for that matter we use a hand grinder with no problems. I am going to invest in a dedicated grinder to keep the angles correct but we wont be buying a magna matic. Thats way to much money for only 2 mowers. I dont count our scag. Its such a POS and we only use it on 1 lawn a week anyway for about 5 minutes.

TLS
07-12-2006, 11:13 PM
I don't just balance to save parts....I balance to reduce vibration.

New blades are NOT balanced, and I can feel the difference!

Frosty03
07-13-2006, 06:27 AM
Low tech solution, drive a small finishing nail straight in the wall. Hang blade on nail to check balance. Adjust blade if necessary.

An old timer showed me this. I took my blade to the mower shop to check balance and it was spot-on.

Nosmo
07-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Nail in the wall is just fine. Rotate the blade in a couple different positions and it should not move at all if it is in balance.

For those of you who want a different method: A short piece of 2 x 4 with a long piece of stiff wire (about 5 or 6 inches) and a cone. You can make the cone from one of those yellow mole peanut poison containers. Use the top black band as a guide for placing the blade on the cone.

Nosmo

grass-scapes
07-13-2006, 08:09 PM
you know, you are as bad as those customers who want a top notch lawn guy but want to pay bottom dollar. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

lawnmaniac883
07-13-2006, 08:19 PM
If you NEED to sharpen and balances alot of blades in little time then go magna matic by all means because no other comes close in that department. However, if you only need to sharpen 2 or three sets of blades at a time then use a bench grinder with cheap balancer. The magna matic balancer will always be DEAD ON!!! The cheap one will not quickly balance a blade to such close tolerances as the magna matic.

You get what you pay for. I havent bought a magna matic yet as I only have a few blades a week to sharpen. I havent balanced a single blade since I bought my machine and to be honest it has had no ill effects on the unit, running strong at 300 hours. If spindle bearings actually do fail prematurely (500 - 800 hours is prematurely in my book) then maybe I will balance the blades from there on out. But, until then I am not gonna balance, it is all a hype until I see a failure on my own equipment.

ed2hess
07-13-2006, 09:30 PM
I feel that its a gimmick. Reason being is the fact that in over 20 years we have had 2 spindles go bad and they were both sealed bearing spindles that lasted over 1,500+ hours anyway and they ran dry. You could hear them getting dry. We have never balanced a blade in our life with no problems. Heck for that matter we use a hand grinder with no problems. I am going to invest in a dedicated grinder to keep the angles correct but we wont be buying a magna matic. Thats way to much money for only 2 mowers. I dont count our scag. Its such a POS and we only use it on 1 lawn a week anyway for about 5 minutes.
Same with us no balance and never had a spindle go out in over 25 years but maybe it is Scag and Snappers with grease certs that help. I never noticed any vibration but again these decks are very heavy.

TLS
07-13-2006, 09:33 PM
For those that DON'T balance....Have any of you ever experienced BALANCED blades?

Perhaps you don't realize how smooth things can run?

Jason Rose
07-13-2006, 09:53 PM
I bought a nice one through Foley Belsaw, recommended to me by a member here on lawnsite. See here (3rd item down on page) http://www.saw-toolsharpening.com/lawnmowerSharpening01.html

Mine works great! ANd yes I had never balanced blades for years and thought it was unnecessary, but also had a lot of vibrations, rattles, and belt slap. Balanced blades cured all of that! It's not necessary to balance every time you sharpen, maybe once a month or so. Key is to clean the blade good with a wire brush wheel on a grinder first.

Freddy_Kruger
07-13-2006, 10:12 PM
I bought one of those cone shaped things and it does the trick for me but my standards might go higher if I buy more expensive mowers.

TLS
07-13-2006, 10:13 PM
People talk about price on these important tools.

Folks, these are tools that will last a lifetime.

Why be a cheapskate?

Audrey
07-13-2006, 10:27 PM
People talk about price on these important tools.

Folks, these are tools that will last a lifetime.

Why be a cheapskate?

+1!!

With the prices of new machines, replacement parts, and downtime, what's $200? There shouldn't be anyone here who can't have this tool paid for within 3 years. That's being generous.

Mine's about two weeks old. Great investment! I saved $35 already by doing my own blades.

A

pugs
07-13-2006, 11:12 PM
I agree with everything TLS is saying. It is much more evident on cheap homeowner garbage...you get on a tractor with a 42" deck that weighs 75lbs and it shakes like crazy. Then you go and balance the blades...big difference.

The decks on these are either attached to the engine deck or they weigh 200-400 lbs probably so it would take blades far more out of whack to really create the vibration. If you want the stuff to last I would advise balancing even if it is a nail on a wall...

And as TLS says a Magna Matic balancer will last you guys a lifetime. A shop will probably go through a few. We just had 2 rebuilt and that is very reasonable. My grandpa had one(he had a saw/blade sharpening business in his garage)...and my dad had his...they were both showing their age

As others have said even new blades can be out of whack.

BRAD ROMEO
07-14-2006, 08:16 AM
I bought a nice one through Foley Belsaw, recommended to me by a member here on lawnsite. See here (3rd item down on page) http://www.saw-toolsharpening.com/lawnmowerSharpening01.html

Mine works great! ANd yes I had never balanced blades for years and thought it was unnecessary, but also had a lot of vibrations, rattles, and belt slap. Balanced blades cured all of that! It's not necessary to balance every time you sharpen, maybe once a month or so. Key is to clean the blade good with a wire brush wheel on a grinder first.
THANKS FOR THE WEB SITE.OUT OF 16 REPLIES YOU WERE THE ONLY ONE WHO HELPED. ALL THE OTHER GUYS JUST WANTED TO TELL ME HOW CHEAP I WAS THANKS AGAIN BRAD ROMEO (BRADS LAWN CARE )

TLS
07-14-2006, 08:33 AM
You get what you pay for.

Audrey
07-14-2006, 10:24 AM
You get what you pay for.

:laugh:

A

lawnmaniac883
07-14-2006, 02:05 PM
THANKS FOR THE WEB SITE.OUT OF 16 REPLIES YOU WERE THE ONLY ONE WHO HELPED. ALL THE OTHER GUYS JUST WANTED TO TELL ME HOW CHEAP I WAS THANKS AGAIN BRAD ROMEO (BRADS LAWN CARE )

You asked for a piece that was equal in quality to the magna matic's. There are no balancers of equal quality. Nuff said