PDA

View Full Version : Speed Up LawnBoy

FordManKubotaDreamer
07-12-2006, 10:28 PM
I have a LawnBoy 6.5 Silver Series Self Propelled. I was wondering if there is any way to speed it up. It seems like it has really slowed down. I haven't looked at it yet but any pointers will be appreciated. :)

lawnmaniac883
07-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Tighten the cable that attaches to the self propelled part of your handle. There should be a sleeve with the cable comming out of it and the cable should go to the self propelled handle. Loosen the clamp that holds the sleeve in place and pull the sleeve back so as to expose more cable then tighten and see if that helps.

sjessen
07-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Try checking the belt and tensioner spring. It is probably stretched and/or slipping.

Roger
07-12-2006, 11:48 PM
I presume your mower is a 2 cycle engine (Silver series did make both 2 and 4 cycle, I think). One other thing to check is the moving parts around the carburator. I have a commercial 2 cycle Dura-Force and dust will create a buildup around the throttle control, the governor fin, etc. If the dirt is keeping all those parts from freely moving, your engine may not be running at full throttle like you presume.

Every few weeks, I spray that area with a degreaser, and hit it with hot water, jet stream. That keeps the parts clean, and it generally starts better, and runs better -- apparently some parts were not moving quite right with all the dirt.

fly-4-fun
07-13-2006, 06:33 PM
If you were talking about the engine speed slowing down and it's a 2 cycle engine, you might want to look at the exhaust ports. I had a Lawn Boy that did the same thing (engine not up to speed) and the muffler underneath the engine was stopped up. Cleaned it out and ran like it should again.

skipster01
07-18-2006, 03:09 PM
most of your newer 2 cycle lawnboy engines have a arm that protrudes from the carburator up into the engine above. It acts like a weather vane. The fly wheel creates a draft that pushes this vane that detects to increase or decrease engine speed. This is spring loaded and can be adjusted. At the bottom of the vane is a circular dial that has ridges on it. Push on this in a counter clockwise direction till you hear it click once. You will have to put some force on it to make it click. Start mower and see if this is the desired speed. If not repeat the step.

As far as spraying water up into the engine. Do as last resort only. water significantly reduces the life of the electronic ingition. Sad to say I spray water on my mower to clean it at the end of the season but avoid as much as possible the area of the electronic ignition. I normally start my mower run it for a short time and spray the areas that need cleaning. keep in mind, you don't want a hot engine when spraying but just warm. With the point of the warmth drying the engine quicker.