PDA

View Full Version : John Deere F935

josh2006
07-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Have the chance to buy a F935 mower with newer 72 inch deck. I believe it is a 1989 or 1990 model. Seems in good condition overall. Runs and cuts well. Seller is asking 3500. Hour gauge lists 400 hours but seller states it has more then that but unsure how many. What do you think about the price? How about the mower overall? Any experiance with similiar models?

mcwlandscaping
07-12-2006, 11:23 PM
no way there are only 400 hours, i think seller is trying to sound honest about that there are more than 400 but either that hour meters been busted for a LONG time of use or he tinkered with it. too old, too much $$$ IMO, too many risks. thats just me though

josh2006
07-12-2006, 11:34 PM
Pretty sure the seller is not messing with me. He is a childhood friend of future father in law. Hes the one who took us to the guy. He buys John deer tractors and mowers at auction and fixes them up. Sells some but keeps most for himself as a collection.

TLS
07-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Can you explain the "newer 72" deck" part.

Is it a NEW 7 Iron green deck? Or is it a yellow deck?

$3500 is a lot for a mower that was state of the art in the late 80's

There are much better mowers out there for $3500 IMO.

BTW....I ran F-935's for close to 5 years.

Grassman6
07-13-2006, 10:18 AM
It may be a "newer" 72 deck...but if it's yellow I would not recommend that machine for commercial cutting. If you intend to mow only the occasional property then it might be acceptable. Post the product ID number and I'll give you a history of the machine. A good welder could modify a 7 Iron green deck to fit the 935 and if this is the case I would look seriously at the acquisition.

TLS
07-13-2006, 10:24 AM
72" of deck is STILL a lot of deck for the F-935's 22hp

I was never impressed with the power of this unit.

Those yellow decks cut VERY bad. Low BTS, and low lift. You needed RAZOR sharp blades to produce a decent cut.

A couple things to look at if your going to go with one...

PTO clutch....they're not cheap.
Condition of mower deck drive shaft slip joint, U-joints, and gearbox.
Rubber isolation dampner on engine to hydro shaft
Rear axle wear and slop
Hydro leaks

Like I said above, nice machines back in the day, but unless your cutting large open lawn and don't care about the cut quality, there are better machines.

josh2006
07-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Actually this will be for my own yard. About 7 acres. Pretty flat and open for the most part. Not a ton of stuff to mow around. It is a yellow deck but not the original. How much would you suggest paying for the unit? If not what would you recommended for the 7 acres in this price range (2500-4000)

Runner
07-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Don't do it. Bottom line. This machine looks like a big great machine, but its performance is a diffrent story. What a disappointment to see whata lousy job such a "beautiful" machine would do. For close to that much, you could get into a used Lazer or somethng that would mow circles around that machine. Also, like TLS mentioned...do some research to confirm because he is exactly right...the repairs will KILL you. And there are alot of them on these machines. Hey, for your needs, you ound like you may be better off to ind yourself a nice old 8N or something of that sort. They go for about tht amount, and you get much more use out of it.