PDA

View Full Version : 36" Scag Advantage, 15hp Kawi

RedWolf197
07-13-2006, 11:44 AM
I recently bought a used Scag and have been using it very little, maybe twice a week. It's ran 99% the whole time. What i mean is I've have not had any problems with it, it always seemed to idle just a tad off when it was first started then worked fine when it warmed. But once it warmed it was great. Then yesterday I used it and it just kept on quitting out on me. Finally I just gave up trying to use it. This is not an old machine, and has very little hours on it.. maybe 300 tops! I've dismissed the suspicions of a faulty saftey, thou I'm not a mechanic, and these new machines are just insane with safties now. And those new push button blade engagers are something I hate! I can just hear the engine cry when i hit that button because you can't do it slow now! But anyway.. running off the topic.. I'm leaning towards fuel problem.. And I need one question answered that is driving me crazy.. The fuel filter, should this be completely full when the machine is running? I look at it when i can get the machine running and it's maybe a 1/4 full of fuel. When the engine starts to bog and I know it's about to stall I can hit the choke and it will stay running longer but eventually smokes and dies. I took the whole fuel system apart and checked it all.. And see nothing wrong. Lines are all clear, bowl clean, air filter clean.

Restrorob
07-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Check your gas cap vent, If not venting properly it could cause this very problem. Also a plugged bowl vent in the carb. could cause this. A quick check for the cap is to start it up and when it wants to start stalling loosen the cap right quick and see if it picks back up.

Jim@MilkyWay
07-13-2006, 10:18 PM
.... And I need one question answered that is driving me crazy.. The fuel filter, should this be completely full when the machine is running?....
I am no expert, but, I believe I have a handle on this specific question. Your fuel system is basically "sealed" from tank to carb. As long as the system is not sucking air, and no air lock exists in the wrong place like, for example at the _exit_ port for the filter, then fuel will flow, and that is the only requirement. The _in_ port to the filter can have all the air it wants, as long as fuel will continue to "drip" in. Compare; a IV drip at the hospital. You won't die because of air "in the line", because it is not able to _get_ into the line.
If there is any doubt, make sure the filter exit port is "on the bottom" if possible.

OK Flame me.