PDA

View Full Version : Entryway steps using wall block and pavers...

djmn
07-13-2006, 03:36 PM
This is my first attempt at entryway steps using blocks and pavers. The plan is to have 2 half circle steps leading from the paver patio to the back door. The first step will have a 3' radius and the second a 6' radius. I want to use Allan Block (York) to match the courtyard wall on the patio. I assume I can't use the pedestal method because of Allan Block not being a solid block and the fact that the top lip would get in the way.
So my question is how can I build these? The foundation does not go all the way up to the door and there is vinyl siding underneath it. Building the risers is no problem (I would also use the cap unit for the front edge of the tread), but how would I even begin to be able to compact any base material for the pavers when there is no solid foundation to compact against?
The york unit is 6" high and the cap is 4" high. Therefore the riser that is viewable is going to be about 2" of block with a 4" cap. Is that going to look odd?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Derek

djmn
07-15-2006, 06:12 PM
No suggestions? Should I build a back wall on the steps, or remove the siding, flash, then go right up against the flashing?
I'm sure a lot of you guys do these kind of steps all the time.
Thanks,
Derek