PDA

View Full Version : What will be the next big "thing" in lawn care?

Tim03
07-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Two questions here, just want to know people thoughts and desires.

First question is what will be the next big thing in lawn care, be it small but noticable or large and industry changing.

The second question is what would you like to see as the the next big thing, something that you desire but maybe others have no need of.

I am extremely new at this, so I really can't answer the first question. But the second one is easy. I love for Hustler to start making the Gatemaster.
Having the desk tilt on its side like that looks great. Too bad its not on Hustler's priority list.

Tim03
07-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Oh I just remembered, a year or so ago I read somewhere that Dodge was thinking about putting a diesel in the New Dakota. It would have been a 4 or 5 cylinder. If it get get decent mileage unloaded I would have bought one.

I asked the dealer about it and he said he had not heard plans for it by Dodge.

I would not have used it to pull a heavy trailer, just something to get me started with a smaller 5x10 trailer.

Hovey's Lawn Care
07-14-2006, 11:15 AM
That would be cool! I actually also heard there is a fight on which manufactuer is gonna get the cat diesel too, also ford may put a small diesel in f150, that'd be sweet! I now have an f250 and 350 dually diesels, it would be nice to have one in an f 150. they'd prolly have to beef up front suspensions on both a dakota, or 150 or anything small. I had a nice dakota, great truck just not enough of a work truck.

lawnspecialties
07-31-2006, 05:10 PM
High end ztr's will get GPS navigation and guidance. Farm tractors already have it. Talk about some straight striping!!:)

PR Fect
08-01-2006, 09:26 AM
I would think the next big thing is a mower that can switch from true mulch to full side (or rear) discharge, with out tools.

I would like to see self sharpening blades!

Dano50
08-01-2006, 12:29 PM
:D :D :cool: Fluid Film (http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com).

jazak
08-01-2006, 12:41 PM
The next big thing I think will happen is diesel engines put into 1/2 ton trucks. (I hope)

What I want is mowers, trucks and chippers to cost LESS $$$$. :clapping: :clapping:

FLAhaulboy
08-04-2006, 10:34 AM
remote control ufo's that mow late at night.

Killswitch
08-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Moderation.

Some of you guys spend way too much money on toys, and most of you apply way too much product.

Its cutting grass, making it green and killing the weeds.

:rolleyes:

topsites
08-04-2006, 11:53 PM
I would think the next big thing is a mower that can switch from true mulch to full side (or rear) discharge, with out tools.

I would like to see self sharpening blades!

If not self-sharpening, then some kind of under-deck device the operator can activate so that they sharpen perhaps with the motor on low rpm... Like flexible files of some sort that drop down and strike each blade lightly as it passes... Say 5-10 seconds of this and you're done, do it after every yard, man that would RULE !

Of course, then comes the cost of replacing the sharpening devices...

Killswitch
08-06-2006, 02:23 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing some sort of shock absorber device at least on the rear wheels of a Z.

I have some properties I need a kidney belt on.

:dizzy:

lawnspecialties
08-06-2006, 09:43 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing some sort of shock absorber device at least on the rear wheels of a Z.

....and everybody said, "AMEN"!:laugh:

rfed32
08-07-2006, 01:47 AM
desiel in 1/2's would be great...i would buy one and sell the s10 im waiting for somehting like that to tell the truth b.c i cant afford the gas in a big truck when it only gets 9mpg not towing

some sort of hybrid mowers like the cars but where they know all the flaws so they can fix them so we dont have to wory about shi+ breaking down...

or some other way to save tons of money on fuel...320 a gal is killer right now

ALarsh
08-07-2006, 02:32 AM
desiel in 1/2's would be great...i would buy one and sell the s10 im waiting for somehting like that to tell the truth b.c i cant afford the gas in a big truck when it only gets 9mpg not towing
My 6000 lb gas truck (unloaded) gets 16 highway. :cool2:

cleanlawn
08-07-2006, 04:02 PM
I would like to see a w/b that could switch from a mower to something else, like a broom, aerator, or snowblower, like some riding units do like Walker and Grasshopper. I'm tired of maintaining these dedicated machines.

curtislawncare
08-09-2006, 06:54 AM
The next big thing would be genetically modified grass that can be biologically programmed to grow only to a certain height. :cry:

Also, laserbeam grass edgers and hovering laser aided mowers will come of age soon.

NNL&LS
08-16-2006, 07:21 PM
I think that the use of growth regulators can be a great new market, especially in situations where people have crummy lawns, don't want to hire a lco, but don't like to mow it themselves.. sell them a couple apps, all done.

But I really just want a 48" walk behind with a hovermower style deck.

Waterscapes By Design
08-18-2006, 10:51 PM
well, what may seriously hinder us in the business is SCOTTS. They are currently trying to develope GM "genetically modified" grass that only grows to a certain height, can be grown anywhere, requires less watering, can resist roundup, and only needs to be mowed a few times every year.

BUT, they are going for golf courses first since there is a lot of money there...... The head guy over at scotts says it is pretty much his top priority to do this. Fortunately for us the EPA is extrememly upset with these guys right now because they did an open air test with a type of "creeping bent grass", they planted a big field of this stuff and didnt realize (so they say) that it would spread......well it spread like 10-15 miles from the field into other places, ditches and the like and now they are getting sued by the EPA I believe cuz it so friggin hard to kill, I think that will be the next big change in the green industry.

FIRST OFF, and I hate to sound like a tree hugger here, but I would LOVE to see bio-fuel machines come about, I think that is a very simple thing that could happen that really needs to , plus we could market the hell outta that!
Even electric, we could have the battery chargers on the trailer and just plug in after we put it back on and go to next spot......could you imagine taking gas expenses for equipment out of your budget...WHOA! :dizzy:

The other thing is what PR Fect said, self sharpening blades.

Randy J
08-19-2006, 08:41 AM
I think backyard putting greens - though they've been around for a while, are going to explode. Look at how many like to play golf. And the greens are pretty maintenance free.

Echelon
08-19-2006, 03:41 PM
I think backyard putting greens - though they've been around for a while, are going to explode. Look at how many like to play golf. And the greens are pretty maintenance free.

there is nothing maint. free about a putting green. for one DAILY mowing is ideal. and then theres the array of chemicals that must be applied to stave off the slew of diseases that they are susceptible to. cost of said chemicals would be big. aerifying, topdressing and dont forget moles. im sure im not mentioning alot of other things as well.

id do it at my own place but i wouldnt trust just any joe homeowner to attempt to use a greensmower, imagine the scalped fringe at the very least

all ferris
08-20-2006, 08:17 PM

Ferris already makes 5 or so models with rear suspension (shock absorbers included)

elmo1537
08-20-2006, 10:48 PM
ferris also makes walkbehinds that can have the deck removed and you can put a variety of attachments on them.

Randy J
08-21-2006, 08:53 AM
there is nothing maint. free about a putting green. for one DAILY mowing is ideal. and then theres the array of chemicals that must be applied to stave off the slew of diseases that they are susceptible to. cost of said chemicals would be big. aerifying, topdressing and dont forget moles. im sure im not mentioning alot of other things as well.

id do it at my own place but i wouldnt trust just any joe homeowner to attempt to use a greensmower, imagine the scalped fringe at the very least

I don't know a ton about them, just seem like a good idea. I'm having a hard time understanding how synthetic turf needs mowing daily though.

Waterscapes By Design
08-21-2006, 11:16 AM
I don't know a ton about them, just seem like a good idea. I'm having a hard time understanding how synthetic turf needs mowing daily though.

LoL, I wasnt gonna say anything, I know he was thinking of an ACTUAL putting green, they are getting pretty popular down here in Tampa. Ive only seen one that was real turf and it was huge.....But the guy was also a superintendent at a golf course, so he had all the tools to maintain himself..

Jeeez if you could talk someone into getting a real turf putting green could you imagine how much you could charge him weekly to maintain that bad boy :dizzy:

Echelon
08-21-2006, 08:21 PM

OOPS! im sorry man, i absolutely thought you were speaking of real turf. my bad. artificial is coming along although still too spendy for all but the most avid golfer.

cleanlawn
08-21-2006, 10:54 PM
In order for ferris' w/b to accept other attachments you've got to unbolt the mower deck then bolt on a hitch to accept the different attachments. then unbolt the hitch to bolt on the mower deck. that just takes too long. and they're too pricey. I'd like to see something that can switch attachments in a minute or two, that is geared around the lawn care industry

Randy J
08-26-2006, 08:04 AM
OOPS! im sorry man, i absolutely thought you were speaking of real turf. my bad. artificial is coming along although still too spendy for all but the most avid golfer.

No sweat, I wasn't meaning to give you a hard time - just thought I was missing something.

Randy J
08-26-2006, 08:05 AM
In order for ferris' w/b to accept other attachments you've got to unbolt the mower deck then bolt on a hitch to accept the different attachments. then unbolt the hitch to bolt on the mower deck. that just takes too long. and they're too pricey. I'd like to see something that can switch attachments in a minute or two, that is geared around the lawn care industry

I just sold a DR lawn & brush mower. It was pretty neat. Pull a pin, losen the belt, slide the mower off and slide the brush cutter on. They also make snowblowers and other attachments for it. While it may not hold up to commerical use, the idea is there.

cleanlawn
08-27-2006, 01:46 AM
Yeah, they make a blade and generator too, to attach to the DR. I do have a question though, isn't it kind of a balancing act to slide the attachment and power unit together? Well anyway that is the concept that I would like to see, the ability to change from a mower to something else in just seconds. I agree that the DR won't hold up to the abuse that commercial guys give them. They just don't seem to be geared around the LCO with the attachments that they offer. Be nice to see something geard around the LCO, with turf rakes, aerators,truck loaders and such.

Randy J
08-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Yeah, it was quite a balancing act. I managed to drop the power unit back on the handle bars a couple of times.

noseha
08-27-2006, 09:17 AM
G.p.s. And 1 Yr. Scheduled Maintenance For All Oil,air And So On. The Blades Idea Is Good One.

indy2tall
08-29-2006, 10:09 PM
It could be a reality in just a few years. Mercedes has a hybrid Sprinter in testing and the standard diesel Sprinters get 20mpg in the city so 30mpg on a hybrid is doable. A hybrid Sprinter with a landscape body on back would be sweeeeeeet!

Total.Lawn.Care
09-08-2006, 11:04 PM

This is already available in on some John Deere Ztrs wilt the 7IronII Deck. Is is called Mulch on Demand. Here is a link to the site...
http://www.deere.com/en_US/groundscare/products_equipment/mulch_on_demand/index.html

CkLandscapingOrlando
02-03-2007, 08:47 PM
A mower thats deck could be adusted from center to a foot or two In either direction.No more weedeating ponds

PR Fect
02-04-2007, 12:10 PM
A mower thats deck could be adusted from center to a foot or two In either direction.No more weedeating ponds

Why is it that we do not have that already? I seen a mower at a equipment show this week that had negative trim! It was a stander and the deck was smaller than the wheel width. I would love to see at least 4 to 6 inches of offset on the trim side even if the deck was inside the wheels on the discharge side. And apply this to the smaller mowers, say less than 44 inch.

CkLandscapingOrlando
02-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Let exmark read this It will be there next year

Green Dreams
02-05-2007, 04:48 PM
imagine the possilities...

Idealtim
02-06-2007, 08:45 PM
How about no advancements and they all cost about $2,000.00 less due to the lack of overkill R and D. Sort of like the Exmark lazer advantage series, but with the technology of the trivantage era. I know a lot of people would buy them, they are proven machines.

majesticlawn
02-08-2007, 09:33 PM
I think it would be cool to have a quick change blade system with indexable carbide inserts! It would be a costly thing to manufacture at first though. I'm sure it would catch on and become more affordable. I know what you all are thinking though about carbide vs the dreaded rock that was hidden in the grass. Just brainstormin'!

JayD
03-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Diesel in 1/2 tones trucks, F150'S
What is it that makes you want a diesel?
Like here in Indy, the diesel cost is much higher than reg.gas
I would to know why you guys want them. What am I missing.Are they really better than reg. gas?
Thanks,
Jay

CkLandscapingOrlando
03-11-2007, 10:39 PM
You should start this as your own topic so the people you want to hear from read it.Just thought it might help

((Just Grass))
04-07-2007, 04:35 PM
The next big thing is Walkers new for 2008 52" GHS deck 100 in the field getting test driven for 2007.

integrityman
04-07-2007, 04:49 PM
-I foresee:

-more battery powered equipment.

- Increase in robotic equipment, especially for the smallest applications-Especially that which will rely on GPS.

- Grasses that are hybridized to grow much more slowly than current hybrids.

- Grasses that will stay green all year long regardless of the season or temperature or need for dependence on fertilizer.

In the near term future I would forecast really small diesel engines being introduced to the market as well as engine manufactures turning towards natural gas or propane to power more of their products.

JRS Landscaping
04-08-2007, 10:40 AM
i saw some where lazers used to cut grass instead of blades on the mowers

Greenguy1
04-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Toro has a golf course line that adjusts from side to side for mowing near sand trap aprons and ponds but it is very expensive, I wish they would put a deck on the ztr's like the old Toro Groundsmasters had, I still have 4 of these machines that I use in a campground, a little slower but do a much better job than a ztr and they are bullet proof.

DieselXP
04-12-2007, 09:37 PM
the next major development will be environment friendly weed control, which has already started in som larger areas in Canada

PR Fect
04-18-2007, 03:32 PM
How about a back pack blower that you can re-start with out taking it back off? PR

Vikings
04-18-2007, 10:43 PM
How about a back pack blower that you can re-start with out taking it back off? PR

I second that brilliant Idea!!!!

JoshC
04-19-2007, 06:22 PM
I like the backpack blower idea.

As for trucks, Ford and GM will be producing 1/2 tons with diesels by 2010. The GM will be a V6 Duramax, not sure what Ford has planned. Also more use of Biodiesel and E85 would be great.

Norris Lawn Service
04-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Diesel in 1/2 tones trucks, F150'S
What is it that makes you want a diesel?
Like here in Indy, the diesel cost is much higher than reg.gas
I would to know why you guys want them. What am I missing.Are they really better than reg. gas?
Thanks,
Jay

Diesel typically has more pulling power, and more tq...

bgent
04-22-2007, 02:35 PM
how bout a deck that you don't have to scrape

Lawn-Scape
05-13-2007, 10:07 PM
I read an article online that said there was some initiative in Florida by the green industry to reduce home lawn sizes replacing them with larger bedings of plants native to the area. This move is supposed to help water conservation in Florida also.

Midwest Lawn Services
05-13-2007, 11:01 PM
I would like to see a w/b that could switch from a mower to something else, like a broom, aerator, or snowblower, like some riding units do like Walker and Grasshopper. I'm tired of maintaining these dedicated machines.

BCS has a walkbehind tractor that is made in Italy, sold in the US, and has multiple attatchments that are built extremely well. They are all gear driven, sealed bearings, almost no maintenance. bcs-america.com

jasontimm
05-19-2007, 01:18 AM
I'd like a trimming device that will mount on my mower so i dont have to trim each head stone in a cemetery...I'm getting to old for that!!!!!!!!

pclawncare
05-20-2007, 12:12 PM
They already make something of that sort it has been discussed on here befor i cant give you a direct link to it but im sure someone on here can. You might also try SEARCH to find it

diagnostech
05-21-2007, 11:34 PM
GPS now thats thought, how many of you would be willing to pay for it?

Why havn't more of you ,mowing big areas, used wing mowers?
Yea, the real wing mower, that can keep up w/ any pro z.
ACREASE. save time, save fuel, save labor, MAKE MONEY!

horizonmowing
05-21-2007, 11:42 PM
my company

diagnostech
05-21-2007, 11:44 PM
Better trimming,? check out flex deck. excellent option, I can't believ the difference.

You really need to check into those blades that use a bolted on Knife , made in chicago. ?Mo- ? saves on sharpening.

Supper Grassy
05-23-2007, 08:00 PM
First question is what will be the next big thing in lawn care, be it small but noticable or large and industry changing.

Easy sharpen/blade change

The second question is what would you like to see as the the next big thing, something that you desire but maybe others have no need of.

Stander

Eden's Gardener
06-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Are you guys getting any or a lot of requests or questions about going "green" with products? I'm in the green circle so that is of course about all I hear about. So I'm wondering what is going on in the "mainstream" landscape world. I have read a few articles in some of the landscape mags about the rising awareness, but what are your customers saying?

Dano50
06-04-2007, 04:41 PM
I'd love to hear this feedback as well. We are working on a completely biodegradable product.

Eden's Gardener
06-04-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm working on putting together a workshop for conventional landscapers that are interested in "going green" but don't know how to make the conversion. I'm in the DFW area so let me hear from you.

Dano50 - what is the product's base material?

Dano50
06-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Lanolin, same as our regular Fluid Film, but with some type of vegetable oil. The lab is working on it right now.

Eden's Gardener
06-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Mmmm. Not heard of using that yet. Most of the stuff we have over here in Dallas are feather meal, fish, kelp, etc. Do you distribute outside of CA?

Dano50
06-04-2007, 04:53 PM
We sure do. We make corrosion preventives and lubricants. I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.

Eden's Gardener
06-04-2007, 05:40 PM
No wonder it didn't make sense. No, I'm talking specifically about going green on the landscapes. However, going green on the equip maintenence side is good, too! I'm glad to hear someone is thinking ahead and broader.:clapping:

lazyike
07-13-2007, 02:13 AM
roundup ready grass.
oh and a garbage picking up device on the front of a zero turn.

MOWALLTHETIME
07-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Long Term:
I personally would like to see a national organizatrion of lawn maintaince professionals. for us guys who do mainly lawn maintaince and some landscaping. ther are several groups for landscaping, sod and irrigation fields but i have never heard of an organization dedicated to lawn maintaince. It would benice to know that if you are a member you are hled to higher standards of business practices and customers know that they will be dealing with a quality company that is recognized by a national organization. We could benefit from it by pooling our buying power together and going corporate and getting prices like the big boys do. How great would it be gt into a group buying 3000 zero-turns nation wide. Tell me who would not jump at making that sale. larger companies have national accounts and goo through local dealers for delivery parts and service.That is just a dream we mnay never see in our life-time. But just think how the industry could benefit from a nationl association.

Immedate:
I think the next big thing will be the next evolution in either 2-cycle technology or improved 4-cycle technology to hand held equipment. the EPA's grip is getting tighter and tighter by the year and before too long 2-cycle's will be so leaned out hey will not perform worth as good as the 4-cycles do now.

Waterscapes By Design
07-27-2007, 08:19 PM
It may sound lame and all.....but the next big thing in our industry should be us going green...ESPECIALLY our industry!

Eden's Gardener
07-28-2007, 09:36 AM
A big AMEN to that one! I think the issue for some becomes the fear of losing customers, or restoring their soil to the point that their services aren't needed as much. On the fertilizer side, that is at least a 3 year away issue, and by then, ya'll would have picked up bookoos of new business. The tide is turning. Thankfully. I'm not a big tree hugger, still like to think I am sensible, but if you study soil and soil management, you would see that what we do on the green side makes a lot of sense and it works. Educate you customer, that is part of our job....

Grass Happens
07-28-2007, 04:50 PM
I try to use green as much as I can. I use a lot of Pearl Vally fertilizer witch is mostly made with chicken poo. There are some grades that do have synthetic ingredients, but for the most part, it is nature made. It doesnt have any salts in them like normal fert. And sense most regular fert is salt based, it dries out all the beneficial critters in the yard. Organic stuff helps the critters grow and prosper, causing thatch to break down quicker and a much more self-sufficient lawn. Has anybody tried compost tea? I have heard great things, but don't have a compost pile and would rather like to see if it works before building one.

Americal Vet
08-07-2007, 05:59 PM

A universal remote control for my wife - Just the mute button would be fine!

zim bob the landscaper
08-08-2007, 10:28 AM
That would be cool! I actually also heard there is a fight on which manufactuer is gonna get the cat diesel too, also ford may put a small diesel in f150, that'd be sweet! I now have an f250 and 350 dually diesels, it would be nice to have one in an f 150. they'd prolly have to beef up front suspensions on both a dakota, or 150 or anything small. I had a nice dakota, great truck just not enough of a work truck.

the chevy 1500 with duramax was in the turf mag. earlyer this year i think its a great idea. would be great for snowplowing drivways in the winter too!!

drelgan
08-08-2007, 01:35 PM
A good riding seat on Z mowers--no bouncing--like a nice air ride!

BlakeReeder
08-08-2007, 10:29 PM

Try the ferris ztr. It has four wheel suspension. I have the 61" and love it
:weightlifter:

Waterscapes By Design
08-08-2007, 10:38 PM
I would kind of like to see better arm-rests on a lot of the Z's......I just noticed Gravely has started putting some adapters out on the market to help with that, but I still would like to see a few more comforts factored in.

The only thing I use my arm rests for is to sit down or get up out of and have some type of leverage which has got to be bad for the arm rests.....but the damn things are so low ya need like 2 foot forearms to rest your elbows on them.

ExcaliburLawnCare
08-22-2007, 12:37 AM
a 100" cut ZRT that only weighs 500lbs

Blink74
12-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Buffalo grass or some other low input hybrid grass. They are getting close to a turf grass that will require 80% less mowing, water and fertilizer yet stays lush and green. A truly green grass.

Eden's Gardener
12-04-2007, 09:31 AM
The hybrid Turffalo is available now. :) There is one called Shadow Turf for up to 90% shade and the sun version, Tech Turf. You can plant them side by side for even blending, or put the Shadow Turf in under a newly planted tree so you don't have to come back in several years and rip up a lawn that won't get enough sun because the tree did what it is supposed to do - provide shade! The ST is way more expensive, making up for that lack of return trip you may or may not get called for anyway. And you've got a happy customer who knows they won't have a dead lawn.

The stuff is great. I've had more issues of overwatering than anything else. Someone came behind us on a job and fiddled with the irrigation to daily watering about a month after planting. It doesn't like that at all. But, it seems to be recovering nicely and we're going to leave it in for now and see what spring brings before deciding to pull it or not. I think it will be fine myself. Check them out. As landscapers, you all should be able to buy direct. If not, give me a call at Eden's and I can have it shipped right to your jobsite. They only sell it by plugs - because they can I guess - but if you've ever messed with buffalo sod, you know it is a pain anyway so plugs is the way to go for now.

90% less water - 2" a month total after the first season and not a whole lot more than that after it is established. Once a week would be fine if the soil is prepped right. I guess the only draw back is you won't have to mow weekly unless they really want it shorty short. But you can increase your other lawns and jobs that way I guess so it should all even out. Check out their website for places that may be near you where you can go see it as an established lawn.

See that - you're dreams can come true! :drinkup:

mdlwn1
12-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Wow..no one has said anything about lawn chemicals. Their days are numbered. Compost teas will be popping up. Any one in New York has seen virtually every effetive pesticide beong banned.

gorrell
12-04-2007, 10:02 AM

Get a Steiner or Ventrac, both have wonderful performing out front decks and you can change attachments in less than 5 minutes..............Lynn

Blink74
12-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Ya, I knew the buffalo grass plugs were available. But they are working on a seeded variety that will allow it to be planted on site and/or grown as sod. I believe the current varieties don't produce significant seed? Also, I wonder how it would do up north where we have very wet springs? I've heard it's being tested as far north as southern Canada. I'm sure you know more than me.

As soon as I find it's feasible I plan to renovate my lawn with buffalo grass. If successful I plan to market it.

Marcos
12-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Ya, I knew the buffalo grass plugs were available. But they are working on a seeded variety that will allow it to be planted on site and/or grown as sod. I believe the current varieties don't produce significant seed? Also, I wonder how it would do up north where we have very wet springs? I've heard it's being tested as far north as southern Canada. I'm sure you know more than me.

As soon as I find it's feasible I plan to renovate my lawn with buffalo grass. If successful I plan to market it.

I know that Spring Grove Cemetery here in Cincy had a decent plot of ground in some type of Buffalo Grass (I can't remember which one though), because I had a chance to walk on it a few years ago when I was out there on a tour.

They were very happy with the durability (drought and foot traffic resistance) of the grass. But they made the mistake of planting it in too 'high profile' of an area, according to the grounds super I talked to.
He said that it didn't look as good as they had hoped.

I guess you can't have everything, though...

Marcos
12-05-2007, 01:51 AM
What's the next breakthrough in lawn care?

I've been reading some of the science periodicals, and we're about to see some changes in pesticides that are going to blow people's minds in terms of residual, concentration, and packaging size.

Genetic alteration of turf grass seed has already had some promising in-roads. But this technology is still in it's infancy.
Within a decade or so I believe that a contractor / homeowner will be able to select the speed at which a specific variety of grass will generally grow by indicating what strain of that genetically altered species they want!
Of course the ramifications of this will be tremendous on the mowing and maintenance industry...and even quite a few people's jobs, obviously.
(It'd be wise to diversify your field of knowledge in the green industry in the meantime, regardless)

One thought that I have had is how well will genetically 'slowed' turf bounce back from many diseases, since the industry norm often is to 'grow the problem out'?
Time will tell...

ICT Bill
12-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Plant Growth Promoting Rhyzobacteria (PGPR) instead of fertilizers. There are several already in production but it is used in agriculture mostly. do a search on PGPR you will be amazed at all of the science that is going on.

The science has evolved that they can actually watch the interaction of PGPR with the root and soil in real time and judge which specific PGPR works best with a certain plant

Specific Fungi that are anti-pathogenic and control fungal disease in turf, some already out there

Landscape specific compost teas (these are made by hand right now, no off the shelf products out there), meaning one for trees, one for turf, one for shrubs, one to get bacteria numbers up, etc.

ncls
12-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Sorry if someone posted this before, but I'm not going through 9 pages. The next new thing in lawn care is:

http://www.selfguidedsystems.com/

Fourth quater 2008.

big acres
01-17-2008, 09:38 PM
The next big thing would be genetically modified grass that can be biologically programmed to grow only to a certain height. :cry:

Also, laserbeam grass edgers and hovering laser aided mowers will come of age soon.

I think DR Mowers has a patent on interchangeable WBs, I saw the promo video that switches overfrom mowing deck, to blade, to blower easily. It is based on their rough-cutter power unit, so I don't think it would perform like a true WB on manicured turf. I bet you will see more of this design.

big acres
01-17-2008, 09:41 PM
the chevy 1500 with duramax was in the turf mag. earlyer this year i think its a great idea. would be great for snowplowing drivways in the winter too!!

Duramax engine alone is 400 pounds heavier than a gasser. Many dealers will not even warranty a 3/4 ton with a plow due to weight.

big acres
01-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Sorry if someone posted this before, but I'm not going through 9 pages. The next new thing in lawn care is:

http://www.selfguidedsystems.com/

Fourth quater 2008.

Saw something similar at GIE in Louisville last fall, except the units deploy from docking shelters automatically and cut until they need a charge. Then they return to the docking station and plug themselves in. Soon even the H2Bs will have competition too.

big acres
01-17-2008, 09:59 PM
cut, paste, and check this out...

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/31/robot-lawnmower-kills-danish-man-begins-resistance/

cpel2004
01-18-2008, 02:19 AM
What if manufactures would make a more reliable machine. One that you actually get your moneys worth?

ALarsh
01-18-2008, 09:05 AM
What if manufactures would make a more reliable machine. One that you actually get your moneys worth?

So if you get 3000 hours on a machine you are not getting your moneys worth?

cpel2004
01-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Thats my point how much extra in repairs would you have to spend to make to 3000 hours.

TomberLawn
01-19-2008, 09:00 PM
For the guys talking about 1/2 ton diesels, Dodge is said to have a Cummins for the new 1500 sometime after 2009. From what the auto makers are showing at the auto shows, and from the rumors in the auto magazines, most of the auto manufacturers will have a lot more diesels available in the coming years, mainly to meet EPA standards for emissions and fuel economy.

Biofuel will be a big thing for all industries, not just lawn/landscaping. But we need to get away from using corn. Corn is too valuable for other uses to devote it to ethanol and biodiesel. Research on switchgrass has shown it to yield more energy than corn, and be cheaper and easier to produce.

I also see automatic blade sharpening being a big hit in the near future. My brother used to work at a Claas forage chopper dealer. These machines have had automatic knife sharpeners on them for years. From what he told me about them, the knives are mounted on a cylinder and a grinding pad is mounted on a cross member. As the knives turn, the grinder passes by them and the knives strike it at the correct angle. I'd love to see something like this on a mower since it is such a pain to jack up mowers and sharpen blades. I want to get a front mount sometime that will just flip up.

PR Fect
01-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Self sharping blades. I'm all for that! And would pay extra to get it.

polska
01-23-2008, 11:37 AM
i'm already thinking about buying a 4 cyclinder ranger with a small trailer to increase my profits and spend less time at the gas station. If gas reachs $4-5 a gallon i would have no choice.

jkason
03-05-2008, 04:48 PM
I'd like to see more FI on smaller engines,
Bio-diesel is great too.

What I would really like to see is more profits.

I'd also like to see all the "low-ballers" and "hacks" up to their necks on the beach with the tide about to come in.

polska
03-05-2008, 10:29 PM
I will be looking into maybe converting my machine to propane. still thinking about it

LawncareAmericaLLC
03-14-2008, 02:22 AM
if you have a diesel motor on your machine they make a converter kit to run off oil.

Marcos
03-14-2008, 03:07 AM
Send all the "guest workers" home, and then 'man' all the equipment with the Lawnsite's "2008 calendar girls" !!

*newusflag*

nosparkplugs
03-19-2008, 06:33 PM
The 90% V-twin air cooled Diesel powerplant.

Blueribbonlawns
03-21-2008, 01:30 PM
When GM gets CATIPILLER diesels.:cool2:

Cedar Lawn Care
09-19-2014, 05:44 PM
I think in the next 4-10 years we will see commercial robot mowers. Self driving cars are 3-5 years away, so mowers can't be too far off either.