PDA

View Full Version : 07 Diesel fuel problem

Mike33
07-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Has any one been up on the new low sulphur diesel change over for 07 trucks?
Mike

DBL
07-13-2006, 11:01 PM
i see it when i fuel up my truck but i dont know what the issues are about it but i know someone on here knows so lets hear it

PLM-1
07-13-2006, 11:17 PM
I know I hate that fuel. All my diesel stuff is running like $hit and the fuel economy isn't as good.

Mike33
07-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Im buying a new truck an 06 now instead of waiting for 07. The new low sulpher fuel can be run in any thing. But if your local fuel stations do not change over in time the old fuel will not work in 07. I live in a area that dont have many diesel stations as it is. This came from my fuel dist. and showed me the article. Also the 07 is recquired to have a filter in the exaust. This is what i know. My fuel dist. said do not buy an 07 until next year some time
mike

lawnspecialties
07-15-2006, 03:56 PM
I haven't seen a store yet in my area that has it.

Mike33
07-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Neither have i, but in my county we probably only have 15 places that sell diesel. Where i got my best information was from a place that is a dist. he has a retail pump for diesel and off road and sells heating fuel etc., He is very sharp on this and showed me the article on it.
Mike

J&R Landscaping
07-15-2006, 09:00 PM
1 station around me has a sign on the pump saying the fuel WILL NOT work in the new 07 diesels.

Mike33
07-15-2006, 09:51 PM
1 station around me has a sign on the pump saying the fuel WILL NOT work in the new 07 diesels.
Yes, thats my point i should have hit on. My dist. whom i have respect for and why not he is in the fuel business states: New low sulpher fuel and current fuel will work in 06 and older. 07 can only burn the new low sulpher fuel and the new 07's are even supposed to have a filter in the exaust. This is why i took his advise that i needed to buy a new truck and was going to wait on a 07 but instead i bought an 06. 2 reasons #1 my area is half rural not many places to buy fuel have a 07 truck out plowing snow 2:00 am need fuel and the only place open is a place whom didnt convert yet and the truck quits running. # 2 is if that is the case they did something to those motors and it could be as bad as my innaurgal year 06 power stroke that was junk. I chose to buy a new 06 for this reason and let the transaction settle in. This is probably the reason ford could not release the new 6.4 engine for 07 that was scheduled.
Mike

twj721
07-15-2006, 09:55 PM
the ultra low sulphur diesel fuel will not be manatory till OCT 06 then the sulphur content will drop form 500ppm to 15 ppm and of coarse will cost more about $0.07 more than regular diesel

twj721
07-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel
Background
Beginning in the summer of 2006, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will require a vast majority of the on-road diesel fuel sold in the United States to have a maximum sulfur content of 15 parts per million compared with the current diesel-fuel sulfur-content cap of 500 parts per million.
Finalized in December 2000 and reaffirmed by the Bush administration in 2001, EPA regulations require a 97 percent reduction in the sulfur content of on-road diesel fuel to enable 2007 and later-model-year trucks to be fitted with special emissions-control devices, and all on-road diesel fuel must contain not more than 15 ppm by 2010.
Under its "Clean Diesel Program" the EPA is aiming to reduce 2.6 million tons per year of nitrogen oxides emissions from diesel exhaust. The agency says that its target to make the change during the next five years - the equivalent of eliminating air pollution from 13 million trucks - is on track. The EPA says that the fuel will be crucial in extending the life of catalytic converters, which are now a pre-requisite in new diesel-fueled vehicles.
Why EPA Implemented ULSD Requirements

Ultra low sulfur diesel [ULSD] is also known as 'cleaner diesel' or 'green diesel' because it contains less than 15 parts per million [ppm] of sulfur. In comparison, conventional diesel can contain up to 500ppm of sulfur. Less sulfur means less sooty black exhaust smoke; as much as 60% less, in fact. Invisible emissions will also be greatly reduced, with carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides soon to be a fraction of their former levels. The benefits achieved should include fewer fine particles in diesel exhaust, which can become lodged in the lungs and cause permanent tissue damage, resulting in improved health especially lung health. Low sulfur diesel exhaust will also reduce the amount of atmospheric haze, acid rain and ozone formation.
Ultra low sulfur diesel is also expected to reduce engine corrosion and extend lubricant life. Benefits that you may not be able to see, but that you're sure to appreciate through potential savings in your vehicle maintenance costs. In addition, the removal of most of the sulfur won’t take anything away from the performance; you can expect comparable power and fuel economy, but someone will have to pay the higher costs associated with the new diesel.
Retailer Complications Expected
This drastic reduction in on-road diesel fuel sulfur poses significant production, distribution and marketing challenges for the petroleum industry, forcing retailers to make decisions about their diesel-fuel business.
Complicating the process is the requirement that only 80 percent of the diesel fuel in the market in 2006 must comply with this standard, allowing 20 percent of supplies to contain 500 parts per million sulfur diesel fuel. The on-road rule forces retailers to make some decisions about their diesel business by introducing a new diesel-fuel blend into the market; this new blend is not fungible with current supplies.
With two distinct diesels on the market, retailers will have to decide whether to install an additional storage tank to accommodate a second diesel fuel or to select one fuel over the other.
If retailers decide to install an additional tank, they must recognize that the marketing of two fuels is only temporary--500 parts per million diesel fuel is prohibited after 2010. Therefore, retailers would have to find alternative use for the new tank after 2010.
If retailers decide to sell only one type of diesel, they must take into consideration the supply availability for each type of fuel, the cost differential of each fuel and the relative demand for each fuel.
In addition, it is important to note that every truck model year 2007 and later will require 15 parts per million fuel. However, the number of these trucks on the road in the early years of the program is likely to be relatively low and the higher sulfur content jeopardizes the emissions-control devices required by regulation.
The EPA provided for a phase-in of the rule because not all vehicles on the market will require this ultra-low sulfur diesel and not all refiners will be able to produce ultra-low sulfur diesel by June 2006.The regulatory deadline for those retailers deciding to sell the 15 parts per million diesel fuel is September 1, 2006. The terminal deadline is July 15, 2006.
Preliminary Compliance Report
In a 2003 precompliance report submitted by the refining industry to the EPA, initial numbers indicate that as much as 96 percent of on-road diesel fuel will comply with the 15 ppm standard in 2006 – far above the regulatory requirement with the anticipated production volume reported to be sufficient to meet on-road diesel demand because EPA believes the refining industry underestimated the volume of imported diesel fuel.
However, the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) predicts that diesel-fuel demand will total 2.916 million barrels per day in 2006, yielding a shortfall of 53,000 barrels or 2.23 million gallons of diesel fuel each day.
According to the precompliance report, refineries and importers currently intend to produce 2.863 million barrels per day of highway diesel fuel, both 15 ppm and 500 ppm. Of this, 2.7 million barrels, or 96 percent, is expected to be 15 ppm. And predictions for subsequent years show a continual increase in the shortfall, rising to 3.91 million gallons per day in 2008 and 8.15 million gallons per day in 2009.

Contamination Concerns
The EPA report does not take into consideration sulfur contamination or downgrading of the 15 ppm diesel-fuel supply. The required precompliance reports refer to production volumes at the refinery gate, yet every stakeholder in the process acknowledges that refiners will have to produce lower than 15 ppm to accommodate downstream contamination in order to provide 15 ppm at the retail dispenser.
Any contaminated batches must be downgraded to 500 ppm, thus removing a volume of ultra-low-sulfur product in the system. EPA does not attempt to reach any conclusion as to the amount of contamination or downgrading that may occur in the distribution process.
Non-Road Compliance Begins in 2008
The non-road rule requires diesel engines, beginning with model year 2008, to use advanced exhaust emission-control devices that are anticipated to reduce PM emissions by 95 percent and NOx emissions by 90 percent. The sulfur content in non-road diesel fuel will be reduced from 3,000 parts per million to 15 parts per million--a 99 percent reduction--phased in beginning in 2007 and completed by 2010. EPA estimates this new fuel will virtually eliminate SOx emissions from non-road diesel engines.
The non-road rule represents an effort by the agency, supported by the petroleum industry, to coordinate its implementation with that of the on-road rule, which requires a 97 percent reduction in sulfur content of on-road diesel fuel from 500 parts per million to 15 parts per million phased-in between 2006 and 2010. The on-road rule requires the market to simultaneously produce and distribute two nonfungible grades of diesel fuel. By coordinating implementation of these two rules, the EPA avoids introducing yet another grade into the market.
Questions remain

A number of questions remain concerning the implementation of this program, which will impact a retailer’s decision. These questions include: 1) How much ultra-low sulfur diesel will be available to retailers in 2006? 2) How strong will demand be for ultra-low sulfur fuel? 3) What will be the cost associated with this new diesel fuel compared with current fuel? 4) Who is responsible for ensuring the compliance of the new fuel at retail? 5) How much sulfur contamination is expected during the distribution process? 6) Who is liable for damages in the event of a vehicle misfueling? 7) Will distributors have to employ dedicated truck fleets to handle the new product?

The U.S. EPA and others in the petroleum industry are hosting the “Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel Implementation Workshop” in New Orleans on November 15 and November 16, 2004 to address the challenges industry faces. PMAA encourages its members who sell diesel fuel to consider attending the event so that they may be better prepared to make critical decisions regarding their diesel-fuel business prior to the 2006 deadline.

Mike33
07-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel
Background
Beginning in the summer of 2006, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will require a vast majority of the on-road diesel fuel sold in the United States to have a maximum sulfur content of 15 parts per million compared with the current diesel-fuel sulfur-content cap of 500 parts per million.
Finalized in December 2000 and reaffirmed by the Bush administration in 2001, EPA regulations require a 97 percent reduction in the sulfur content of on-road diesel fuel to enable 2007 and later-model-year trucks to be fitted with special emissions-control devices, and all on-road diesel fuel must contain not more than 15 ppm by 2010.
Under its "Clean Diesel Program" the EPA is aiming to reduce 2.6 million tons per year of nitrogen oxides emissions from diesel exhaust. The agency says that its target to make the change during the next five years - the equivalent of eliminating air pollution from 13 million trucks - is on track. The EPA says that the fuel will be crucial in extending the life of catalytic converters, which are now a pre-requisite in new diesel-fueled vehicles.
Why EPA Implemented ULSD Requirements

Ultra low sulfur diesel [ULSD] is also known as 'cleaner diesel' or 'green diesel' because it contains less than 15 parts per million [ppm] of sulfur. In comparison, conventional diesel can contain up to 500ppm of sulfur. Less sulfur means less sooty black exhaust smoke; as much as 60% less, in fact. Invisible emissions will also be greatly reduced, with carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides soon to be a fraction of their former levels. The benefits achieved should include fewer fine particles in diesel exhaust, which can become lodged in the lungs and cause permanent tissue damage, resulting in improved health especially lung health. Low sulfur diesel exhaust will also reduce the amount of atmospheric haze, acid rain and ozone formation.
Ultra low sulfur diesel is also expected to reduce engine corrosion and extend lubricant life. Benefits that you may not be able to see, but that you're sure to appreciate through potential savings in your vehicle maintenance costs. In addition, the removal of most of the sulfur won’t take anything away from the performance; you can expect comparable power and fuel economy, but someone will have to pay the higher costs associated with the new diesel.
Retailer Complications Expected
This drastic reduction in on-road diesel fuel sulfur poses significant production, distribution and marketing challenges for the petroleum industry, forcing retailers to make decisions about their diesel-fuel business.
Complicating the process is the requirement that only 80 percent of the diesel fuel in the market in 2006 must comply with this standard, allowing 20 percent of supplies to contain 500 parts per million sulfur diesel fuel. The on-road rule forces retailers to make some decisions about their diesel business by introducing a new diesel-fuel blend into the market; this new blend is not fungible with current supplies.
With two distinct diesels on the market, retailers will have to decide whether to install an additional storage tank to accommodate a second diesel fuel or to select one fuel over the other.
If retailers decide to install an additional tank, they must recognize that the marketing of two fuels is only temporary--500 parts per million diesel fuel is prohibited after 2010. Therefore, retailers would have to find alternative use for the new tank after 2010.
If retailers decide to sell only one type of diesel, they must take into consideration the supply availability for each type of fuel, the cost differential of each fuel and the relative demand for each fuel.
In addition, it is important to note that every truck model year 2007 and later will require 15 parts per million fuel. However, the number of these trucks on the road in the early years of the program is likely to be relatively low and the higher sulfur content jeopardizes the emissions-control devices required by regulation.
The EPA provided for a phase-in of the rule because not all vehicles on the market will require this ultra-low sulfur diesel and not all refiners will be able to produce ultra-low sulfur diesel by June 2006.The regulatory deadline for those retailers deciding to sell the 15 parts per million diesel fuel is September 1, 2006. The terminal deadline is July 15, 2006.
Preliminary Compliance Report
In a 2003 precompliance report submitted by the refining industry to the EPA, initial numbers indicate that as much as 96 percent of on-road diesel fuel will comply with the 15 ppm standard in 2006 – far above the regulatory requirement with the anticipated production volume reported to be sufficient to meet on-road diesel demand because EPA believes the refining industry underestimated the volume of imported diesel fuel.
However, the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) predicts that diesel-fuel demand will total 2.916 million barrels per day in 2006, yielding a shortfall of 53,000 barrels or 2.23 million gallons of diesel fuel each day.
According to the precompliance report, refineries and importers currently intend to produce 2.863 million barrels per day of highway diesel fuel, both 15 ppm and 500 ppm. Of this, 2.7 million barrels, or 96 percent, is expected to be 15 ppm. And predictions for subsequent years show a continual increase in the shortfall, rising to 3.91 million gallons per day in 2008 and 8.15 million gallons per day in 2009.

Contamination Concerns
The EPA report does not take into consideration sulfur contamination or downgrading of the 15 ppm diesel-fuel supply. The required precompliance reports refer to production volumes at the refinery gate, yet every stakeholder in the process acknowledges that refiners will have to produce lower than 15 ppm to accommodate downstream contamination in order to provide 15 ppm at the retail dispenser.
Any contaminated batches must be downgraded to 500 ppm, thus removing a volume of ultra-low-sulfur product in the system. EPA does not attempt to reach any conclusion as to the amount of contamination or downgrading that may occur in the distribution process.
Non-Road Compliance Begins in 2008
The non-road rule requires diesel engines, beginning with model year 2008, to use advanced exhaust emission-control devices that are anticipated to reduce PM emissions by 95 percent and NOx emissions by 90 percent. The sulfur content in non-road diesel fuel will be reduced from 3,000 parts per million to 15 parts per million--a 99 percent reduction--phased in beginning in 2007 and completed by 2010. EPA estimates this new fuel will virtually eliminate SOx emissions from non-road diesel engines.
The non-road rule represents an effort by the agency, supported by the petroleum industry, to coordinate its implementation with that of the on-road rule, which requires a 97 percent reduction in sulfur content of on-road diesel fuel from 500 parts per million to 15 parts per million phased-in between 2006 and 2010. The on-road rule requires the market to simultaneously produce and distribute two nonfungible grades of diesel fuel. By coordinating implementation of these two rules, the EPA avoids introducing yet another grade into the market.
Questions remain

A number of questions remain concerning the implementation of this program, which will impact a retailer’s decision. These questions include: 1) How much ultra-low sulfur diesel will be available to retailers in 2006? 2) How strong will demand be for ultra-low sulfur fuel? 3) What will be the cost associated with this new diesel fuel compared with current fuel? 4) Who is responsible for ensuring the compliance of the new fuel at retail? 5) How much sulfur contamination is expected during the distribution process? 6) Who is liable for damages in the event of a vehicle misfueling? 7) Will distributors have to employ dedicated truck fleets to handle the new product?

The U.S. EPA and others in the petroleum industry are hosting the “Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel Implementation Workshop” in New Orleans on November 15 and November 16, 2004 to address the challenges industry faces. PMAA encourages its members who sell diesel fuel to consider attending the event so that they may be better prepared to make critical decisions regarding their diesel-fuel business prior to the 2006 deadline.
What a post! Thank you for your detailed explaination i had the chance to read this in my dist. mag. and just took his word for it. Yes it is prob. for the better long term , but as i stated if i buy or take delivery of a 97 truck in nov.06 i might have trouble buying fuel when needed at a in different time. We only have 3 out of 15 diesels stations open 24 hours a day in my county.
Mike

twj721
07-15-2006, 10:13 PM
My ford tech that does most of our work on our trucks said to be sure and put Luckus fuel addivite at least every other fill up so I dump about 5 ounce in the tank berore I fill up at every othe fill up Standayne is another good addtive also Good luck with your new ride I had new truck fever last month but Thank GOODNESS !!!! I got over it

Mike33
07-15-2006, 11:06 PM
My ford tech that does most of our work on our trucks said to be sure and put Luckus fuel addivite at least every other fill up so I dump about 5 ounce in the tank berore I fill up at every othe fill up Standayne is another good addtive also Good luck with your new ride I had new truck fever last month but Thank GOODNESS !!!! I got over it
Thank you very much, i did not have a choice. I have a 03 with 92,000 miles had a lot of trouble with it and will not go over the 100,000 warranty. Then this fuel crap came up and i had to make quick descisions. My dealer which is a close friend of mine who owns a chevy and a ford dealership was un awhere of this. I sent him out to the dist. i mentioned which he personally knew also to fill up his new 300,000.00 motor home and get this information. He called me next day and was very pissed that he was a dealer of 2 different manuf. and did not have this information. I know this guy good and mon. morning i know Detroit is not going to be happy when he calls.
Mike