PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol In Gas. Good or Bad?

FearThisDeere
07-14-2006, 08:21 PM
What is your take on the fact that some places are putting 10% ethanol in the gas now? I have noticed a lot more stations doing it up here all of a sudden. I think my trucks runs worse with it. When I first start them up in the morning or ones that have been sitting for a while they throw some blue smoke for a while. I have also noticed more condensation from the tailpipe. How does this affect smaller engines like mowers and such?

lawnmaniac883
07-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Ethanol should not be run in older model cars / trucks where rubber components come into contact with the fuel. The ethanol will degrade and rot out the rubber thus causing a fuel leak. Notice fords FlexFuel advertising? Those use stainless fuel lines/connections. Everything is stainless, no rubber comes into contact with the fuel. As for performance, ethanol doesnt have as much energy in it so it takes more of it to achieve the same task as a lesser amount of gasoline.

DBL
07-14-2006, 09:13 PM
i also heard but dont shoot me if im wrong but i know another guy whos lazer was running bad and he took it in and it was $2000 in repairs becuase the ethanol or something ruined the fuel injection

Dirty Water
07-14-2006, 10:28 PM
10% ethanol won't do anything to your engine.

Its actually not rubber they are concerned with, its the old cork gaskets on old carberuators. It also breaks down mild steel.

E85 which is 85% ethanol should not be ran in anything but a flexfuel car.

tthomass
07-15-2006, 12:22 AM
its just a filler.........and makes your mpg drop

grass_cuttin_fool
07-15-2006, 08:18 AM
LOL I must have it in my truck now then, I went from an avg of 12.54 down to 11.44

wayne

FearThisDeere
07-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I went from 15.6 in my mom's Durango to 14.7 in a matter of a fill up. I had a feeling that it was a filler so that the gas companies can make even more money off of us. I think that my engines just run a little rougher than usual, but I might be going crazy.

imdawrlus
07-15-2006, 08:05 PM
its not a filler. ethinol costs more than gas. thank the epa for making it manditory to have it in the gas.

although it does raise the price because the gas costs more to blend, and you dont get as good of mileage out of it

DBL
07-15-2006, 11:27 PM
its not a filler. ethinol costs more than gas. thank the epa for making it manditory to have it in the gas.

although it does raise the price because the gas costs more to blend, and you dont get as good of mileage out of it

he damn epa i think half the time doesnt know what theyre doing nothing ever makes sense with them