PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way...

procut
07-15-2006, 12:15 AM
...to somehow turn up the torsion bars on the front of a Chevy and lift the front end 2", thus leveling it with the back???

notoriousDUG
07-15-2006, 08:52 AM
you can turn them up but you are probably not going to get 2 full inches.

There are many companies that make 'leveling kits' for trucks to solve this issue.

However, in all reality the truck is designed like that for a reason. If you carry any kind of heavy load with regularity leave it like it is, turcks are supposed to work good, not look perfect.

tylermckee
07-15-2006, 04:04 PM
www.gmfullsize.com

sheshovel
07-15-2006, 04:10 PM
No Torsion bars are for alighnment.
You'll have to put a 2" lift kit to do what you want as far as I know.

tylermckee
07-15-2006, 04:31 PM
No Torsion bars are for alighnment.
You'll have to put a 2" lift kit to do what you want as far as I know.
wrong, he can crank up the bars and get some lift out if it. the ride will be a bit stiffer, parts may wear out prematurely if you go to much. 2" is about MAX.

Jason Rose
07-15-2006, 05:40 PM
A buddy of mine had this done on his GMC truck too. Cranked up the torsion bars, though he had to get some longer "heavy duty" shocks since having the suspension extended out that far made the stock shocks too short. Not a biggie, most trucks need new shocks anyway.

Iv'e seen the truck, really looks sweet with the front end lifted, he also added new rims and larger tires and got more height. What I DON'T like is a level truck.... Cause if you throw a box of pillows in the back it looks like one sissy sagging truck.

I want to do mine, though I don't have money for new wheels or tires, but I also have some overload springs on the back that can be cranked up a little more to raise the back to still be higher than the front!

I too would be worried about how "safe" messing with the torsion bars like this is? Really can't be good long term for the front end of the truck, let alone tire wear...

notoriousDUG
07-15-2006, 09:05 PM
FWIW, overlaod springs beyond factory are a patch for running to light of a truck or worn out springs.

If you are hitting the factory overlaods, bottoming the suspension or otherwise running well under ride hieght you are overloaded.