PDA

View Full Version : Front End Shaking Violently

JohnsonLawn
07-15-2006, 05:51 PM
I have a 1992 Chevy K3500 Dump and occasionally when I am driving the front end (wheels) and steering wheel go into a violent shaking pattern that will only stop when I slow down. Most of the time the truck performs perfect, but when this happens it scares the sh#t out of me!. Any ideas as to what the problem could be. Thanks for your help

sheshovel
07-15-2006, 05:54 PM
Major alignment malfunction.

aklandscape
07-15-2006, 07:33 PM
rotate the tires and see if it still does it. Sometimes you get an irregular wear pattern on the tires and it will do that.

DLS1
07-15-2006, 07:47 PM
I have a 1992 Chevy K3500 Dump and occasionally when I am driving the front end (wheels) and steering wheel go into a violent shaking pattern that will only stop when I slow down. Most of the time the truck performs perfect, but when this happens it scares the sh#t out of me!. Any ideas as to what the problem could be. Thanks for your help

Must not scare you to bad if you have not had it checked out.

Could be front end falling apart and you might loose control of your truck. Get into a shop before you possible kill yourself. :hammerhead:

We are only guessing what is wrong.

heritage
07-15-2006, 07:47 PM

Hi JL,

I had this problem just as you have discribed, same model truck.

The upper and lower control arm bushings are shot. They will replace the u + l control arms w/new bushings, and ball joints , tie rod ends (if needed).

In 1997 it was a $1,200 repair. If you have the proper tools, you could do it for less yourself, and then send it for alignment.

Get it fixed....Dangerous!!!

Pete

Scag48
07-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Control arms and tie rod ends. Get it fixed soon!

notoriousDUG
07-15-2006, 10:02 PM
while a bad tire can cause this type of steering feed back it is a sign of a larger issue. You have busings, TREs, or other components SERIOUSLY loose in your front end, get it checked out soon before something happens that injures either yourself or others.

FWIW, a good front end, properly aligned, should track straight and have no vibration or wheel slap at any speed or condition.

Gravel Rat
07-15-2006, 11:45 PM
I didn't think Chevy was affected from death wobble. Its dangerous you should have it looked at you can get in accident. Tires are a big offender but if you have loose ball joints and A arm bushings worn out you need to have it replaced.

Good Luck

CNE
07-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Most of the time a vibration that comes in like that and goes away after slowing, is related to a worn idler arm. This is part of your steering linkage. It may start after hitting a bump, shake, then get better as you slow down. Other components can cause similar symptoms though. I would take it to your local alignment shop for a check-over.

oldrustycars
07-29-2006, 06:48 PM
impact shimmys ive dealt with were idler arms or drag links. any good alignment or spring shop can fix you up.

leadarrows
07-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Could be broken bead in a tire, worn steering linkage, king pins, any of those could do it and bad shocks would allow it to be that much worse. Jack up the front end and start shaking all of the front end parts with your hands. Grasp the tires at the top and bottom and see if they wobble side to side.
Unless your an experienced mechanic you should consult one.

Brianslawn
07-30-2006, 02:15 AM
ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar link kit, also check pitman arm and idler arm.

Team-Green L&L
07-30-2006, 02:21 AM

We just had to fix the exact same problem on our GMC. It is the ball joint. Cost us around $600 to fix from a friend's shop. Let me guess, it happens when one wheel hits a bump? That's the wheel with the problem...the ball joint is broken. You can grease it up real good to preserve it for a day or two, but it is not road-safe at all!