PDA

View Full Version : Best mower for sloped property

Down Hill
07-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Hi! Great site!

I bought a house last year that sits on a sloped acre from back to front. Much of the grassy areas are sloped. I'm not sure how sloped, but way too sloped for a riding mower. I currently use a Toro rear wheel personal pace. It is OK, but it lacks the power and deck size to help meget the job done easier.

I'd like to get a commercial walk behind that can do the job. I am considering the Simplicity Pacer 1534 with the Hydrostatic drive, but I just don't know anything about commercial mowers. Some areas of my lawn are so sloped that I really need to muscle up on the Toro to get to them. I would like the new mower to help me cut horizontally accross some big slopes.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

ed2hess
07-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Go down about 7 threads same subject..

dcondon
07-15-2006, 11:17 PM
Welcome to lawnsite. You should have no problem with any com WB. ZTR will go on very steep hills also. Can you send us some pics and maybe we can help a little better.:waving:

Down Hill
07-16-2006, 07:12 PM
OK... I've read the other post and it seems that a Hydrostatic mower should work. Is there a better/more economical choice than the Simplicity Pacer for a homeowner?

I've also attached pics of the worst hill (there are others!).

You can see in the first photo, my back yard. The top of that hill is tough to cut with my 22" Toro. I have to use most of my own muscle to get it up there and control it on that hill. Eventually, I want to build a retaining wall and leveling off the lower section while mulching/flowering the upper part. But right now I only have the finances for a new mower. Retaining walls aren't cheap from what I've seen. Even if you DIY with wood.Anyway, the second pic is the same slope from the opposite side of the yard.

Again, any advice/recommendations are appreciated.

Team-Green L&L
07-16-2006, 07:44 PM
A hydro mower will hold the slope for a good part, but you'll still need to string trim 20 ft. or more on the top of the grade. I'd rather spend a grand on grading and buy a more cost effecient mower. A $5000+ mower would be impracticle for a home owner in my books.

Down Hill
07-16-2006, 07:53 PM
What kind of cost effecient mowerd do you suggest? Are we talking about your typical 5-6 HP walk behind? Becasue I already have that and I feel that I am just cutting way too much grass for it (almost an acre - takes me 2 hrs. with the Toro).

What exactly do you mean by "grading" and what could I get done for a grand?

Thanks!

Team-Green L&L
07-16-2006, 07:55 PM
What kind of cost effecient mowerd do you suggest? Are we talking about your typical 5-6 HP walk behind? Becasue I already have that and I feel that I am just cutting way too much grass for it (almost an acre - takes me 2 hrs. with the Toro).

What exactly do you mean by "grading" and what could I get done for a grand?

Thanks!

I'd look into a 48" walk behind with at least 15HP, preferrably 17.5+. Used, you will find one for around $2500 with low hours. That's much better than the $5000+ that the hydro rider will run you. Walk-behinds are much better on hillsides also.

Down Hill
07-16-2006, 07:59 PM
The Hydrostatic mower I was looking at IS a walk behind - the Simplicity Pacer, and it is less than 2 grand.

More about the Pacer HERE (http://www.simplicitymfg.com/pacer.php)

Team-Green L&L
07-16-2006, 08:09 PM
The Hydrostatic mower I was looking at IS a walk behind - the Simplicity Pacer, and it is less than 2 grand.

More about the Pacer HERE (http://www.simplicitymfg.com/pacer.php)

I checked out this mower and it doesn't look bad. I'm a little concerned with the $2200 ticket on a residential mower. Check your newspaper for a 48" Scag or Toro walk behind. You'll probably find a good used one for around the same price. Put this mower beside a used Scag with 1000 hours or less and it's a hand's down decision...Scag. Here's the down sides to this mower that I saw right away: 4.25 mph where a Scap will give you around 7-8 mph, 36" deck instead of $48", after shipping costs you're talking alot of buck for a little mower.

Down Hill
07-16-2006, 08:40 PM
thanks for all your responses.

actually, there's a dealer nearby who will sell me the simplicity for $19oo delivered.

a Scag certainly seems good, but I don't know if I'll find one. I'll check.

Also, the 48" deck sounds nice, but I gotta be sure the thing will fit in my garage! Isn't a 48" alot bigger. Also, there a few tighter spaces that I'd like to get into where the 36" will probably be better. Not sure though. I'll keep you posted.

pondfishr
07-17-2006, 01:02 AM
Dixie Chopper Runbehind works great on slopes....

Down Hill
07-17-2006, 07:06 AM
Thanks! I'll check that out.

Down Hill
07-17-2006, 07:27 AM
WOW! that's a lot of mower with a big price tag! Out of my need and budget.

LarryF
07-17-2006, 08:08 AM
WOW! that's a lot of mower with a big price tag! Out of my need and budget.

AND.....it's a ZTR. I have one that is about that size, but a different brand. I also have a hill that's not as steep as the one you showed photos of, and in my opinion, to use my ZTR on my hill would be suicidal. But that's just a homeowner's opinion. Perhaps some of the professionals would provide theirs and let us know if they would operate a husky ZTR on your slopes.

Down Hill
07-17-2006, 08:43 AM
To be honest, I'm not even considering a tractor or a ZTR for my property. There are too many slopes. I just would like to find something more powerful than my Toro Personal Pace 22". My concern is getting a commercial sized walk behind and having it tip or go out of my control on one of these hills.

Thanks!

LarryF
07-17-2006, 10:01 AM
If you re-read the posts, you'll see that Ed of Hess Lawns suggested you look at another thread dedicated to this same topic. In it, a "Quick 36" walk behind was recommended. Since I have a similar problem, I called them (http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/?page=Home%5FL%2Ehtm) and was invited to send photos of my hill. I did that, but the response was that they would not advise me to buy the Quick 36 if that's what I wanted it for. They seemed like very honest people. Why don't you do what I did? Maybe they will think differently about your slope. I suspect they won't, but you should give it a try. Somewhere on that web site there is also a video of the Quick 36 in action, which I was very impressed with.

Down Hill
07-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Sounds good. Thanks!

stryper
07-17-2006, 12:56 PM
My concern is getting a commercial sized walk behind and having it tip or go out of my control on one of these hills.
Talk to a couple of dealers. The Pacer is essentially the same mower as the Ferris HydroCut (http://www.ferrisindustries.com/m_hydrocut.php), and it is an excellent machine, but it might not be right for your application. Basically, a lot of guys don't like the way the drive and braking systems handle slopes. It's simply a matter of the right tool for the right job.

To do what you want to do, you might have to up your budget, and do the regrade/retaining wall project as well.

Good luck.:walking:

Down Hill
07-17-2006, 01:08 PM
I just went to one dealer and here is my first thought:

The top of the hill in the pic is the real tough part of the mow. I am thinking of just spreading some weed kill and covering an area about 15' X 50'. Then I have some white bricks that I can use to make a little 6" broder wall at the bottom. Then I'll mulch the whole thing and my wife can plant soem stuff if she wants.

That will eliminate the worst of the hills. The dealer showed me a 33" Billy Goat that looks easy to handle and will fit in my garage pretty nicely. He felt that it could handle the less severe hills that I have without much trouble.

Any thoughts?

stryper
07-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Don't know much about Billy Goats (http://www.billygoat.com/site/homeowner.aspx), but your plan of eliminating some of the toughest area sounds right. If the Simplicity can handle the remaining slopes, then I would probably go that route, I have a Simplicity Regent (http://www.simplicitymfg.com/regent.php) and a Ferris HydroWalk SD (http://www.ferrisindustries.com/mw_sd.php), and both are fine machines. If/when I go to replace these units, I will most likely stay within the Simplicity family.

Whatever you do, try to get a demo on your ground...that will make your final decision a whole lot easier. :cool2:

noseha
07-17-2006, 08:25 PM
the best mower for hills a steiner 430 maxs. I don't own it but mowed with one for three year 4 wheel drive nice bar tires center turn only 25 horse kohler a little under powered but good enough for taller grass

dcondon
07-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Cub Cadet also makes a very nice com WB that would last you a life time!!!!. Take a look at them from a dealer not a chain store:waving:

Down Hill
07-17-2006, 09:22 PM
correct me if I'm wrong... those are riding mowers, no? I don't think I can use one of those on my property. I need to find a good walk behind.

dcondon
07-17-2006, 09:34 PM
correct me if I'm wrong... those are riding mowers, no? I don't think I can use one of those on my property. I need to find a good walk behind.

WB means walk behind. From those pic's we could mow every bit of that with our ZTR's. I mow some that are alot stepper then that. But yes, check out the Cub Cadet com Walk Behinds.

Down Hill
07-17-2006, 10:15 PM
You really think a ZTR could do these slopes??? They are pretty steep at parts and it would not be easy to go up and down.

But sorry for the ignorance on the "WB" thing. I'll check it out.

Thanks!

lawnspecialties
07-17-2006, 10:36 PM
If that was my yard and I only mowed my own yard, to tell you the truth I'd go down to Home Depot or Lowes' and get a 54" garden tractor. The deck would actually help you stay more stable but really, that slope doesn't look all that bad. Get that rock out of there, though.:laugh:

noseha
07-18-2006, 07:00 AM
your talking about the two picture? why buy a thing do it with a 21" cut like you should why buy something? or hire a lawn care

Down Hill
07-23-2006, 12:21 AM
Those pics are only part of my back yard. My property is about an acre and mowing with my 22" takes 2 hours, plus it is backbreaking due to a lack of power AND the mower has crepped out onme too many times.

I want more power to do the job quicker and easier.

Tried a lawn tractor... it is out of the question. Can't handle the hills and it can't get into a number of tight spots.

Right now, I am trying to choose between the following:

Simplicity Pacer
Better Quick 36
Billy Goat 33" finish Mower
Sutech Stealth Commercial Lawn Mower

If I go "cheap" the Sutech is aboutr $1300 and similar to the Billy Goat ($1600), The Quick 36 is physically similar, but superior with the hydro drive and the reverse on demand. That would be around $2000. The Pacer is probably too big and at least $2000.

My front runners are the Sutech and the Quick 36. If I end up believing that the Sutech can handle the job, I'd like to save the $700-$800!

Anyone have any experience with one of these (http://www.sutechusa.com/ssd33B13.htm)?

JCP Crafts
07-23-2006, 05:45 AM
Do a search on this site and you will find more opinions on the models you listed .Hope this helps you.I have not used but I have only heard good things about the integrity of the Better company and their Quick 36 .

LarryF
07-23-2006, 07:43 AM
T

My front runners are the Sutech and the Quick 36.

It sounds like you really did your homework, Down Hill, but did you ever send the pictures of those slopes to Quick 36 to get their opinion? As I had mentioned before, I did, and they responded that as much as they would like to sell me a machine, they wouldn't advise their product for my hills. And although I could be wrong, I think yours are steeper than mine.

Down Hill
07-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Here's the update after doing some search engine research on these pages about these four mowers... they all don't do well on hills!

Ugh! I'm back at square one! Obviously, a key is that I get a mower that is dual driven regardless if that is belt driven or hydro. That seems to be the important piece. None of these four have idividual wheel control and that makes going sideways on a hill difficult.

Does this sound right?

Next, I will check out some eXmark models as they seem to be well recommended.

More to come.... still open to input.

mike lane lawn care
07-24-2006, 08:38 PM
i like the simplicity pacer, i have used one, and it is a bear, it cuts like no other. it's a bit expensive, but it will last and last, i used it on my front banks at my house that are steeper and it did great.

Down Hill
07-25-2006, 12:53 AM
Good to know! Do you mow accross hill?

1styear
05-12-2009, 03:08 AM
Down Hill,

I think you were missing the point earlier but it has somewhat dawned on you. Let me explain why these mowers are not good for hills.

First off, with any of these single hydros you have listed, there is NO WAY in heck you are going to cut across that hill they way you have with a push mower.

You MIGHT be able to cut straight uphill with maybe a very slight angle and be able hold the mower on track but I doubt you can or even want to do this. Most likely if you get a single hydro, you will have to go dang near straight up the hill and then back it down while cutting the next swath of grass in reverse walking backwards down the hill. It would be a little faster than using the pushmowers crossways if using a 34-36" but not by much because you would have to go slow to be careful and because the single hydro will flat wear your butt out.

Since you are not willing to cut that with a rider... which I assure you, you can do if you use caution and go uphill at the proper angles, the IDEAL way to cut that hill is with a dual hydro at roughly a 30 - 45 degree angle so that you are going up hill and crossways. When you cut with a rider, you know how the downhill wheel gets all the traction? Well with a dual hydrodrive, you can give that downhill wheel the traction it needs. However, with a single hydro (like the ones you listed so far) you can't because both wheels get the same forward power)

I have a pacer and love love love it for what I use it for but you would be severely upset if you purchased that mower for these slopes.

My suggestion is to get yourself a decent self-propelled push (walk behind)
Like a toro or something really doesn't matter. I have a john deere from lowers that runs around $500 - It's been one of the best self propelled pushs that i have ever used. + get one around 9 hp and you can pretty much run year round without ever removing the mulch kit.

Hope this helps... you really need to test something before buying unless you are getting the deal of the century that you know you can resell no problem

probrushman
08-26-2011, 10:38 AM
You should definitely check out a company called KutKwick, Corp. They manufacture a machine, right here in the good old US of A, called the SuperSlopeMaster. It can handle slopes, with no problem, up to 40 degrees (84% grade).

Here's a link: http://kutkwick.com/superslopemaster.htm