PDA

View Full Version : Redoing Backyard

msb1766
07-17-2006, 11:41 AM
Put in a pool, now I am ready to reseed my backyard how do I get rid of the grass (weeds) in order to reseed the whole yard?
Do I need to kill the grass or can I till it all up and reseed?
If I have to kill the grass what works best?
The yard is about 1 acer.

Splicer
07-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Unless you are VERY diligent on watering DO NOT SEED THIS TIME OF YEAR...wait...

msb1766
07-17-2006, 12:18 PM
I am going to do this in September just want to get everything I need and want to do it right.

Pittsburgh Panther
07-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Round-up works well. I would spray 3 weeks before you plan on reseeding. This way if you miss any spots you can spray again. It usualy takes two weeks to see if Round up worked. If where you are reseeding is almost all sun I would put in Kentucky blue/rye mixture. 85% Kentucky blue and 15% rye. I would get Midnight I or II. These are great grasses and proven. You will have a carpet like grass by the time you use the pool next summer. If possible I would have someone use a bobcat and rototill your lawn. They will do a better job and also get all the rocks out of your soil. Also it will be alot easier on you. I know I made the mistake trying to do it myself with a rototiller. I don't know how the Mindnight would work if you soil is really sandy(by the ocean). If that is the case I would check around and see which grass works best in your area.

upidstay
07-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Try a slice seeder instead. Tilling makes more work. Blue is fine if you have irrigation. If not, consider a turf type tall fescue blend. I like a 70/20/10 fescue/rye/blue blend. Very tough, resilient grass. Takes a beating. Just look for a seed with a high germination rate (85% minimum) with a zero noxious weed content.