PDA

View Full Version : Toro 21 transmission

ipwanab
07-18-2006, 01:17 PM
I am faced with replacing the transmission in a 22040 proline 21 . I am residential property owner and have gone through several mowers. Thought the proline would last a while. I love the mower but the transmission is $250.
Is this failure a fluke or typical? I have had other toro's , and honda. All the drive systems seem to be junk. My last toro ( a non commercial 21 that was the spitting image of the proline ) wore out the small gears and sprags in the wheels, but the transmission lasted. The mower is three years old .Any opinions?

Envy Lawn Service
07-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Well I am curious to know what your tranny issue is exactly.

I have never had any type of failure, but my drive has never operated correctly or as well as it should.

ipwanab
07-18-2006, 01:53 PM
the 2nd gear (which is all I ever use) binds and has to be forced past the bind with an adjustable wrench on the large nut of the transmission.When it does drive it sounds as though teeth are gone from the pinion gear. The forward drive has always been good (until now) but the toro is a b**ch to pull backwards when trimming. I tried a new one at the dealer and they are the same.

mowpart rep
07-19-2006, 07:57 PM
I think that it is a fluke. I sold hundreds of that unit and bar none it was the best. I would not think twice about putting $250 in it.