PDA

View Full Version : trailer lights

bobcatnj
07-18-2006, 05:49 PM
im so sick of f*ucking trailer lights!!!!!they are not working again. are the wires connected right to the 7 way trailer plug ---green-r turn/yellow-L turn/brown-lights/white- ground?? correct me if im wrong. i kept blowing a fuse also.

grass_cuttin_fool
07-18-2006, 06:45 PM
http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

ttry this link...........hope it helps some

wayne

DoetschOutdoor
07-18-2006, 07:17 PM
Double check the fuses again, all of them. Me and my dad spent about 2 hours the other night replacing fuse by fuse and working with the wires

JTF40
07-18-2006, 07:40 PM
im so sick of f*ucking trailer lights!!!!!they are not working again. are the wires connected right to the 7 way trailer plug ---green-r turn/yellow-L turn/brown-lights/white- ground?? correct me if im wrong. i kept blowing a fuse also.

If you HAVE to use foul language, learn to type ACCURATELY !!:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

bobcatnj
07-18-2006, 07:46 PM
hahahaha ****** lights. its 2 ****** hot 2 be messing around with these damn lights in nj

notoriousDUG
07-18-2006, 08:26 PM
That is 'sort of' the standard but many trailers stray form that...

and what is in the plug on your truck can be anyones guess.

The numbe rone issue with trailer ligths is that manufactures often use scotch-locs in the wiring and after a couple of years they corode and then either break the connection or short out.

Ifyou are blowing fuses you have a short to ground, find it.

bobcatnj
07-18-2006, 08:39 PM
how do u find it????

notoriousDUG
07-18-2006, 08:51 PM
how do u find it????

I can't find it, I'm in chicago.

First step is disconect the trailer plug and then turn on the truck lights and check each turn signal and then turn on the hazards. If this does not cause the fuse to blow then your issue is in the trailer. If it does it is withthe truck or the plug on the truck.

If the trailer is the problem inspect both the truck and trailer side plugs for corrosion, dmage or other issues. If it looks OK plug in and repeat the cycle paying attention to what causes a fuse to blow so you know if you should look at running light or turn signal wiring.

Next step is to look at the lights. If you have a signal light issue look only at those, if it is with the running you will need to look at EVERYTHING on the trialer. Inspect all lights for corrosion in the bulb sockets and poor connections. If it has sealed lights check for cracks and signs of water or condensation iun the light. Replace or clean any suspect lights and repeat, if problem presists check all of the wiring for frays, pinches, breakes or otherwise shabby condition. Pay special attention to any scoth-locs or splices.

After all of that you shoudl have found something.

Oh, and it is 'YOU' not 'U'...

If you want people to spend the time to type you an answer spend the time top type a real fawking words!:hammerhead:

oldrustycars
07-18-2006, 11:16 PM
why does everyone have such trouble with trailer lights? get a test light, a continuity tester, and learn how they work. it isnt hard.

General Landscaping
07-19-2006, 01:37 AM
Success with trailer wiring begins with: A full length "Y" harness(with grounds),soldered connections, adhesive lined heat shrink,& quality LED light assemblies.
Some dielectric grease on the terminals helps too.

By my estimations; I'll be taking this light set off my boat trailer (saltwater) to install it on my next boat trailer.

SOMM
07-19-2006, 01:56 AM
bobcat - you got some of the best equip in this biz', with minimal depreciation.

do yourself a favor take both your truck & trailer into a trailer pro-outfitter's shop and let them diagnose and restore the light's.

you NEED some more biz-deductions!
quit stressing !

notoriousDUG
07-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Success with trailer wiring begins with: A full length "Y" harness(with grounds),soldered connections, adhesive lined heat shrink,& quality LED light assemblies.
Some dielectric grease on the terminals helps too.

LEDs are a waste, lots of expense and they loose segments and have to be replaced early anyway.