PDA

View Full Version : Help with Snapper 21" mower

danmc
07-18-2006, 06:50 PM
I have a +-10 year old snapper self propelled mower. The thing mows fine initially then after about 1/2 hr it quits. Once I get it started again (after approximately 5 minutes) it will run again for 10 minutes then quit and won't start again. I noticed it smokes a little bit around the motor when this happens. Oil level is ok, not too much, not too little. I changed the air filter but was hoping someone could give me some advice on what could be going on.

Thanks,
Dan

Restrorob
07-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Sounds like the coil could be heating up and dropping spark. When it quits remove the plug and put back in the plug wire then hold the metal part of the plug to a head bolt away from the plug hole, Have someone pull the rope while you watch for spark across the plug. It should be a nice blue color.
And of course hold the plug with pliers because it will be hot.

dutch1
07-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Read the third post down. Brand of engine and engine numbers are sometimes helpful when one is familiar with various manufacturer failures.

Ten years is pretty much the expected life of a push mower, shorter if it isn't serviced on a regular basis.

If it were me trying to resuscitate a 10 year old mower I'd check out the following:

1. Check for adequate compression, cold and hot.

2. Check for spark at the plug when it dies. You could have a failing CDI.

3. Check carb for debris floating around that might be blocking main jet.

Barring safety switch problems, if you have compression, spark and fuel it should run.

There are embedded problems that I haven't mentioned, but that is the short version of what I would suggest. Your mileage may vary.

Dutch:hammerhead:

danmc
07-18-2006, 11:17 PM
It's a 5 hp Signature Series Briggs and Stratton...

Restrorob
07-18-2006, 11:24 PM
It's a 5 hp Signature Series Briggs and Stratton...

The two post above still applies......