PDA

View Full Version : screening topsoil???

grassmanvt
07-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Hey guys, just bought a small screening plant. What do you guys typically screen your topsoil out at? Also, just out of curiosity, whats the going rate on decent, middle of the road, screened topsoil in your areas?(not delivered, and by the yard so we are comparing apples to apples)

bbailey
07-18-2006, 10:56 PM
3/8 minus on topsoil, super, super clean, no crap in it at all. My version of black gold= $25.00 per yard not delivered!!! By the way is the unit new or used and if you want to tell what did it run you for the screener?

grassmanvt
07-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Hey, a fellow Vermonter. I bought the rig used. its a couple year old thomas 300, only 5 or 600 hours on it. I will pm ya what I gave for it, I don't really want to post it here as I might sell it after I get a few projects done. Here's a picture in case you aren't familiar with it.

bbailey
07-19-2006, 09:51 AM
That should be more than adequate for screening. What are you using to feed it with and what size is the dump you haul it with? Looks good!:clapping:

grassmanvt
07-19-2006, 06:40 PM
loading with a cat 236, trucking with a 04' chevy 1-ton (both in the pic. below), or hire out if someone buys a larger qauntity. Two friends with trucking companies comes in handy.

bbailey
07-19-2006, 06:45 PM
Are you screening at 3/8 or a different size? Looks like old barnyard material and manure, real rich and dark. Good stuff!!!

jazak
07-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Nice little setup you've got there. Does that skid have ac? If that was around here you could get as much as $35 per yd. + delivery fee. Real nice topsoil.

grassmanvt
07-19-2006, 09:55 PM
Are you screening at 3/8 or a different size? Looks like old barnyard material and manure, real rich and dark. Good stuff!!!

I'm running it the way it came for now, mostly just to try it, double deck screen, finish screen is about 3/4 or a hair less. I've been debating on either 3/8 as you suggested or half, it just seems like a really fine topsoil takes so long to setup and get to the point of being mowable, if using for that purpose. The material itself was from a job from a guy my uncle knew. I was going to use some for fill but it was just to good to dump over a bank. Since then, I also did mix in some old left over manure from when dad was farming, pile was right next to this one. I've also added any grass clippings and leaves from the mowing side of things and have kept the pile somewhat turned. I think it will be descent stuff. Especially after seeing what some of the junk guys around here sell as topsoil.

grassmanvt
07-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Nice little setup you've got there. Does that skid have ac? If that was around here you could get as much as $35 per yd. + delivery fee. Real nice topsoil.

Thanks, its taken awhile but I have managed to put together a descent list of toys. I've also just bought a d3c series 3 and a dynapac roller, should be here in a week or so. The skid has heat but no a/c. Probably would be nice but its usually not that bad.

bbailey
07-20-2006, 09:26 AM
It is amazing to me what some sell as topsoil, it is for a topcoat to grow grass! I used some of mine last week at my house for a few spots and I had grass growing in 3 days. Little straw and water and there it was. Lots of places here that sell it mix in sand, and a lot of it. No good. Cheaper but a month later they are still waiting for grass to grow.

jazak
07-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Same around here. They say it help with water drainage into the ground but don't tell you that the grass won't grow. I had to laugh I bid a job that I for a account I mow for and they got someone for half the price well he must have used really sandy topsoil because 2 months later the places he put it down theres still no grass and you can see it looks like sand with little pebbles and sh!t :laugh: :laugh:

grassmanvt
07-27-2006, 10:34 PM
Well guys, a little update. A guy I know had a 3/4 square thick wire screen that he had bought new for one of these, owed me a favor and let me have it. I just swapped it out with the 3/4 slotted that was in there and what a differance. I think I'm pretty happy with the result. I'll try to get a picture of this stuff. It's pretty fine but lets just a tiny bit of thicker material through which should help keep the soil a little more stable and less wah out prone and less "quick sand" prone if you know what I mean. Not that its sandy but stuff thats realy fine just seems be turn to oatmeal with a little water. Anyhow, I think I've finally got a product I'm content with to market.