PDA

View Full Version : Thomas 135

bobbyg18
07-18-2006, 10:00 PM
I know the old adage "its priced that way for a reason"...but i've found some positive feedback here about Thomas skid steers...

Im in the market now for a used skid steer with a 15K budget...i found a 2004 Thomas 135 with 55 hours on it...i demo'd it today, looks and runs great here it is...it just never sold (and that is what scares me, why?)

its priced at $14,500 (i think i can get him down to $13,500 or $13,000) a comparable Bobcat SSL would probably be a 1999 or 2000 or so with 2-3K hours on it...

any opinions?

i plan on using a power rake (can i?) attachment and a plow attachment in the winter...its ROC is 1500 and weighs 5500lbs...and is 16 gpm enough hydraulic pressure for something like a Harley Rake

http://www.machinerytrader.com/images/Machinery/fullsize/73116114.jpg

cddva
07-18-2006, 11:13 PM
I can't answer your question about Thomas skid steer quality/reliability/service support but I can say that 16 gpm and the 1500 # ROC will run a Harley Rake. I run an MX6 on an ASV RC-50 which has the same specs. I'm sure some of the experts here will let you know what they think about the Thomas machine, good or bad. Good Luck with your decision.

Mowingman
07-18-2006, 11:35 PM
A few years ago, when I was the equipment manager for a large building materials company, I had the chance to demo a Thomas machine. We ran it side by side with a bunch of the other big name brand skidsteers. I think we demoed 6 brands altogether. Everyone like the Thomas, and it performed really well. Easy to handle, maintenance friendly, and a real workhorse. It ended up very high on out ratings list. Unfortunately, our facilities were located in many areas where Thomas had no local dealers for parts and service. Since machines often moved from plant to plant, we had to purchase other makes of machines. We really like the Thomas though.

ksss
07-19-2006, 04:02 PM
I have never owned one and have only run them minimally. They claim to be built better than the leading brands with the same internal components. I believe they are foot control only. I wouldn't expect the same level of refinement that you may get in other brands. Also I wouldn't expect much for trade value, but if you just want a machine to keep forever it would probably do fine. As far as dealer support they are nonexistant. However, once you open them up any heavy equipment mechanic could work on one. I have seen new Thomas machines sell for what they want you to give. Iron Planet just ran through a couple of 250 size machines for the same money. The fact that you can have a new machine for so little money would make it hard to pass up. Like I said don't expect much back after 1000 hours.

bobbyg18
07-19-2006, 10:07 PM
ksss,
yeah they're pretty basic machine just what im looking for...and what sealed the deal was the 5 year warranty that i just found out about, the dealer didnt even mention it to me, i had to call the corporate office...
...even though its a 2004 i'll still get 2.5 years under warranty for 14K...done deal