PDA

View Full Version : 22 briggs intek

AWABUKIE
07-18-2006, 10:26 PM
I have a 22 briggs intek model 40h777...type oo26E.The engine started to back fire while running...yhen went to half power.I tried to start it on just the right plug and it started.When I tried to start it on the left plug it just back fired....Any suggestions

FIXDISS
07-18-2006, 10:43 PM
Pull the spark plug on left side and then attatch the boot to it. Remove the right spark plug boot so it doesn't start. Ground the plug from left side to the head fin and spin engine w/starter. If you do not get a crisp blue spark then you probably have a bad coil on that side. If you get good spark then you may have a valve adjustment issue or a vaccuum leak on intake.

AWABUKIE
07-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Thanks for reply...I have good spark...vacuum leak sounds difficult...and expensive...is it possible dirt in carb...or exhaust cant get out.

FIXDISS
07-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Watch for a response from Restrorob here.He's the expert. As far as the vaccuum leak just check to make sure the bolts/nuts are tight on carb and intake. I really think since you have good spark it could be a valve issue. Did it make any kind of fluttering sound when it happenned ?

AWABUKIE
07-18-2006, 11:28 PM
No fluttering sound ...just loud back fire...now that piston just has no more power...with out the back fire...I will retighten everything tomorrow and see what happens...thanks again for response.

FIXDISS
07-19-2006, 12:29 AM
OK. Good luck. I am really thinking that if you have good spark that it is possibly a push rod bent or the fastenner on rocker arm has backed off causing valve not to open properly. Like I said, watch for Restrorob to respond.

Restrorob
07-19-2006, 12:51 AM
Pull the valve cover off the affected cylinder and I'll bet you a :drinkup: that you find a bent push-rod as FIXDISS said.

AWABUKIE
07-19-2006, 08:25 PM
I opened up the valve cover and sure enough a push rod had fallen off,it was not bent though,so I stuck it back in place.I then went to crank the engine...nothing but backfire...any more suggestions at this point.

newz7151
07-19-2006, 08:37 PM
I opened up the valve cover and sure enough a push rod had fallen off,it was not bent though,so I stuck it back in place.I then went to crank the engine...nothing but backfire...any more suggestions at this point.

Not to demean you in any way. But it doesn't sound from your posting in this thread that you are inclined in the right areas to handle this. If you intend to keep this engine, I would recommend that you take it to a shop before you cause further irrepairable damage.

Jim@MilkyWay
07-19-2006, 11:07 PM
.... I would recommend that you take it to a shop before you cause further irrepairable damage.
Roger that.

lawnmaniac883
07-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Sheared flywheel key causing premature ignition?

AWABUKIE
07-20-2006, 07:09 PM
Im still thinking the carb has some dirt in it...Im going to try and take it off and clean it out...see what happens.

FIXDISS
07-20-2006, 07:16 PM

Did you set the proper valve lash for the engine ? You really need to set both and may need to apply a little thread lock to the adjusters.Currently facing same problem with a single cylinder 18 hp Briggs and gonna do the same thing.

FIXDISS
07-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Im still thinking the carb has some dirt in it...Im going to try and take it off and clean it out...see what happens.

If you did not set the valve lash correctly and just cranked it down tight then when you cranked it over again you could have bent the push rod or even damaged the valve itself.