PDA

View Full Version : Chain saw throwing chain

fireman649
07-19-2006, 03:17 PM
I have a Echo CS 346 Chainsaw that keeps throwing the chain off. I've replaced the bar, chain, and all adjusting mechanisms. It's still throwing the chain when cutting hard. I'm going to get a new sprocket to try. What do you think?

Thanks,

Steve

Audrey
07-19-2006, 03:24 PM
When cutting hard?
Are you keeping the bar straight? Not canting it when getting into the cut I mean. If you have the chain tension a bit too loose and if you were to c0ck the bar....
You DO have the correct chain for the saw/bar?

A

Jim@MilkyWay
07-19-2006, 05:17 PM
I have a Echo CS 346 Chainsaw that keeps throwing the chain off. I've replaced the bar, chain, and all adjusting mechanisms. It's still throwing the chain when cutting hard. I'm going to get a new sprocket to try. What do you think?

Thanks,

Steve
What size bar? IMHO, the longer the bar, the more critical the tension adjustment, alignment and all other considerations.
I trust the saw is oiling properly?
I trust your bar has a tip roller which you are keeping greased properly? I use Permatex anti seize grease applied with a needle point nipple.

fly-4-fun
07-19-2006, 05:31 PM
If the saw has some hours on it, then the clutch sprocket might be your problem. I'd replace it and try again......:usflag:

fireman649
07-19-2006, 05:47 PM
The chain tension is correct, and no it is not being cocked while cutting. It is abrand new chain(yes, the right one) and a new bar(so the end is fine). I'm going to replace the sprocket and see what happens. I'll let you know. Thanks for the replies so far.

Jim@MilkyWay
07-19-2006, 11:19 PM
The chain tension is correct, and no it is not being cocked while cutting. It is abrand new chain(yes, the right one) and a new bar(so the end is fine). I'm going to replace the sprocket and see what happens. I'll let you know. Thanks for the replies so far.
I trust the saw _does_ actually cut when you ease it into wood.
My friend had me look at his saw once and, this is a really butt suck thing to say, but the chain ain't on backwards is it?

AAELI
07-20-2006, 07:59 AM

Make sure your drive sprocket is not worn and on the subject of chain, verify that not just the length is correct but also pitch. Having a new chain and bar makes no difference if the pitch of the chain is incorrect. Double check.

themowerman
07-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Most of the time when a chain keeps coming off is due to one or more of the drive links in the chain having a burr on them. If your chain is thrown due to it being loose the drive sprocket usually burrs up the drive links. Make sure that every drive link fits into the bar groove freely. If you find one with a burr just file it so it fits again.

AAELI
07-22-2006, 08:11 AM
Most of the time when a chain keeps coming off is due to one or more of the drive links in the chain having a burr on them. If your chain is thrown due to it being loose the drive sprocket usually burrs up the drive links. Make sure that every drive link fits into the bar groove freely. If you find one with a burr just file it so it fits again.

Hey Mowerman, You are right. Not tensioning the chain properly after it stretches causes the problem you mention.

Only he just said that all the above was new.. If it throws the new chain I would suspect the wrong pitch on chain or drive sprocket or even bar pitch. I get them in the shop like that often. People buy their bar/chains at Ace Hardware or Kmart without getting the right one and bring it to me as we are just about the only shop on island that puts chains together for all brands, pitch and guage combos.

Jim@MilkyWay
07-22-2006, 08:51 AM
Bar And Chain Maintenance link:
http://www.brownandwiser.com/pdf/bar_chain_maint.pdf

fireman649
08-27-2006, 02:30 AM
Sorry it took a while to repost. The sproket fixed it. The guy didn't tell me that the chain adjuster had fallen out one time before, he replaced it, but in the mean time the chain was loose while he was still using it, so it tore the sproket up. Thanks for the posts.

Steve

danimal333
07-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Fireman I'm having the same problem with two saws I use. Both are husky's one is a 142 I bought used and another is a new 137. These saws both have all the right components bars, chains, ect. I'm pretty savy with keeping my saws clean, sharp, and straight! I'm gonna get down to the bottom of this issue and I'll let you know what I come up with! Good luck till then..............

danimal333
07-11-2008, 11:13 PM
I just realized you figured it out already!