PDA

View Full Version : Piston Stop???

Splicer
07-19-2006, 04:12 PM
The last engine powered tool that I have to repair is my Poulan Wild Thing 18" chainsaw...the damn automatic chain oiler is not working...It happened last year and I had it repaired but the repair shop guy didn't want to...said it wasn't worth it...total cost for the repair including new oiler was $14.00...It lasted for 3 uses then stopped working...the first one lasted 6 years...So rather than give the saw to someone who doesn't want to fix it anyway, as well as to ensure this repair is done correctly I will repair it myself this time...

Now in order to get the casing apart to get to the oiler I have to take the centifugal clutch off...Backwards threaded no problem...but how do I keep the motor from turning over??? I need a piston stop...something that extends into the cylinder and thresds in the spark plug hole to hold it...Where do I get one??? What is it called??? How else can I get te clutch off???

Hurricane whatever will be coming through soon enough and this saw needs to be ready to go to work again...It has been through Charlie, Francis, Ivan and Katrina cutting trees and kicks some serious ass doing it...I do not want a 'new' 'compliant' model...mine does not have the chain brake on it and I like it like that...:usflag:

lawnmaniac883
07-19-2006, 04:17 PM
Remove the spark plug and insert some rope into the cylinder making sure to leave some hanging out for easy removal. Make sure the piston is not at TDC when doing this. Rotate the assy until the piston is securely stopped and take a wrench to the clutch.

Jim@MilkyWay
07-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Remove the spark plug and insert some rope into the cylinder making sure to leave some hanging out for easy removal. Make sure the piston is not at TDC when doing this. Rotate the assy until the piston is securely stopped and take a wrench to the clutch.
What a cool :cool: way to hold it.
I bet a pneumatic impact would work best for this job; or no?

newz7151
07-19-2006, 07:11 PM

I believe most 2 cycle repair manuals state to use the bit of starter rope method.

lawnmaniac883
07-19-2006, 07:21 PM

Restro rob said it first, I am just the messenger :cool2:

Birdhunter1
07-19-2006, 07:34 PM
What i do n my Stihl chainsaws when I have had to replace an oil pump is to put a wrench on the opposite side of the crank where the starter coil and attaches to the crank. It has worked for me several times, I have also done it the rope method but last time I took the clutch off a saw I had the rope assembly off too and a 3/4" socket and rachet (fit the nut on the opposite side of the crank) was handier than taking the plug out.

Restrorob
07-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Restro rob said it first, I am just the messenger :cool2:

Hmmm, I was wondering how you came up with that bright idea :laugh:

Splicer
07-19-2006, 09:47 PM
Well whoevers bright idea it was THANKYOU!!! The rope trick worked flawlessly and I got the clutch off and removed the pump...:weightlifter:
Have the new pump ordered already...Not even $20 w/shipping and that includes a new air filter...yeah...I'd say since the saw would cost in excess of $175 to replace $20 isn't a bad investment...Again...THANKYOU:usflag: :drinkup:

xcopterdoc
07-19-2006, 10:24 PM
Old school tricks from old school dudes... works every time!