PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Thoughts on Kohler Command Engines

MagnumPro
07-19-2006, 05:05 PM
I am interested in purchasing a new Exmark unit. I am leaning towards the unit with a Kohler Command Engine, but not sold on it yet. What are your thoughts on the Command Engine??:confused:

Splicer
07-19-2006, 05:12 PM
I have the 20HP Command Pro CV-20 in my '99 GT and it is just kicken...by far the finest small engine I have owned to date...I bumped the throttle up to 3750 RPM and it just takes it in stride...

dvmcmrhp52
07-19-2006, 06:09 PM
We have no Kohlers that blew up but we do have a blown Kawi..........

What do you think my thoughts are on Kohlers?:)

dutch1
07-19-2006, 06:14 PM
I worked in a shop envoirnment for 7 years and am doing the same in my home shop now. In my experience, Kohler hasn't made a quality engine since they ceased making the Magnum series.

It's strictly my opinion and that's probably not worth much on this site, but Kawasaki and Honda most of the more prominant manufacturers beat by a bunch for longevity and quality. On the other hand I've seen all brands of engines fail for lack of proper care and maintenance.

Given proper care, I believe most engines will give adequate service, some just last longer due to quality of manufacture.

Your mileage may vary.

Dutch

dvmcmrhp52
07-19-2006, 06:26 PM
In my experience, Kohler hasn't made a quality engine since they ceased making the Magnum series.

Dutch

I guess you need more experience.............

dvmcmrhp52
07-19-2006, 06:28 PM
It's strictly my opinion and that's probably not worth much on this site, but Kawasaki and Honda most of the more prominant manufacturers beat by a bunch for longevity and quality.

Dutch

Read my post concerning Kawasaki and then read a post by 6'7330 (bill) about his luck with Kawi...........

lawnmaniac883
07-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Kohler commands are good engines.

Restrorob
07-19-2006, 07:46 PM
http://www.gtr-game.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/hmm.gif

Given proper care

That's the key.....If this isn't done any brand engine can http://www.gtr-game.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif

lawnmaniac883
07-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Restro, you gotta get the mods to add some of those smileys and other icons from your little grand tourismo forum.

lawnboy dan
07-20-2006, 04:44 PM
i have a command from 93 still running strong -great engine

J&R Landscaping
07-20-2006, 11:33 PM
I have worked on and delt with landscapers running both kawasaki and kohler engines. My dealer now only stocks a few unis with kohler engines. Over 95% of his commercial inventory is powered by kawasaki. I was in over at his place getting parts earlier this week and he only had 1 walkbehind with a kohler engine. Everything else was powered by kawasaki.

My father and I have a Bobcat Z rider with a 22 HP kohler on it and it does pretty well. It has over 3600 hours on the original build still going strong. I honestly do believe though that kawasaki engines run smoother. JMO

MagnumPro
07-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the good info. I have had a Magnum Engine for years and no complaints. I am leaning towards the Command I just hope it performs and last as long as the Magnum has.
I realize that maintenance is a big part in the whole unit life, and the dealer has helped me with that.
I am leaning towards the 25hp engine but the dealer is trying to push me to the 23hp Kohler or the Kawi :nono:
Any reason why?

Jman
07-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Hey J& R, how many of your kawasaki's have over 3600 hours??

J&R Landscaping
07-21-2006, 11:51 PM
None of them YET, the 2 Kawasaki engines I have now are still kinda new. The FB460V on the 36" is a season and 1/2 old. The 6hp on my snapper 21" is 1 season old. I will keep you posted.

I would have to guess and say the FB460 has around 120-150 hours so far.

Though I don't prefer the kohlers, I have seen some with high hours still going strong. BUT, I tested a Z rider with a 25 hp kohler with 587 hours. It was a 2005 model year mower. The right side had a bad oil leak and had a blown head gasket. It also had some blow-by and could have used a valve job. The seller maintained the machine and showed me the maintnence logs. He is only selling the machine because he bought a new one with a kawasaki engine.

J&R Landscaping
07-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Thanks for all the good info. I have had a Magnum Engine for years and no complaints. I am leaning towards the Command I just hope it performs and last as long as the Magnum has.
I realize that maintenance is a big part in the whole unit life, and the dealer has helped me with that.
I am leaning towards the 25hp engine but the dealer is trying to push me to the 23hp Kohler or the Kawi :nono:
Any reason why?

The 25's have had problems with head gaskets and valve adjustments. That what my dealer told me anyway.

mcambrose
07-22-2006, 11:39 PM
I'v owned five command's. One was a 25 hp. It did have a head gaske problem, but inexpensive to fix. No other problems. I really like the Kohler Command's.

Buckeye Lawncare
07-23-2006, 03:57 PM
I have the 27 hp Kohler Command on my lazer. Has 630 hrs on it and still fires right up everyday. The guy I used to work for had troubles with his kaw and they were expensive to work on. He had to replace his 25 hp kaw after 1000 hrs and he took good care of his equipment, Oil change every 50-75 hrs went into dealer every winter for complete maintence and look over.
I would much rather have the kohler than a Kaw. But chosing which one is like chosing between Ford and Chevy. It's all based on personally opinion. And everyone has their own opinion :confused:

Jman
07-24-2006, 02:58 PM
The Kohler commands have hydraulic valve lifters. No valve adjusment ever.