PDA

View Full Version : One of those days..top this

qps
07-19-2006, 10:13 PM
First of all the local city right of way inspector red tagged my 3 ft deep trench for the underground service the local power company was to install, says I'm 3' in the city's right of way...inspector threatens fines, call to local utility...sorry your problem...you dug it, we lay-ed the cable in it and told you to dig it to avoid trenching fee's....but its not our problem...call us when you get it straighten out...inspector says I can't get a permit because I'm not a licensed general contractor....ugh...o.k now what....city isn't sure what to tell me....great....this is after they fought me to have property rezoned ( and they lost) but it cost me 10k in legal fees and permits.....it gets better....my F450 dump doest't start this morning...no problems before...just turns over....fuel pump or injector pump...either way I'm getting reamed on that repair, had a hell of a time finding someone with a median duty tow truck just to haul the darn thing to the dealer....third...someone pulls away from the trailer the night before and jerks the plug out...wires laying everywhere......gets even better....trying to move a trailer with the 350...since I don't have a dump to use today and rub up against the dozer...nice crease in the door and bed on the 05 F350...I'm afraid to get up tomorrow:cry: ......can anyone beat this???

Dirty Water
07-19-2006, 10:52 PM
I don't know what it is about today, but here is mine:

We are working at a job about 25 miles out, I get there, but when I go to start my truck at noon, it won't start. Starter checks out ok, battery is ok, just can't turn over.

Turns out the engine is siezed.

Later that day I'm using our DitchWitch 410 to lay a line and the thing suddenly loses all hydralualic funcanality, with the trencher in the ground. We spent a few hours trying to get the boom up and the trencher on a trailer using a come-along before giving up.

The kicker is that there is a Komatsu PC75 sitting on site from another contractor. I scoured it up and down for a key because it would have gotten my 410 onto a trailer no problem...No key :(

So, tommorow, I need to get a towtruck to get my 410 out of the ground and onto a trailer, get my truck towed to a shop, and start looking for a new engine.

SO yeah, today sucked. Glad we have a backup truck.

JB1
07-19-2006, 10:52 PM
i'd stay in bed tommorrow, with the phone off the hook.

ksss
07-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Trenching fee? what does that mean? I am happy to say Tim that I can't beat that. However, I have had similiar days. Just not the last couple, but there is always tomorrow:clapping:

Dirty Water
07-19-2006, 11:13 PM
I bet my Ditchwitch key would have started the Komatsu if I had tried.

I'm glad I have beer here.

qps
07-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Trenching fee? what does that mean? I am happy to say Tim that I can't beat that. However, I have had similiar days. Just not the last couple, but there is always tomorrow:clapping:

Not really a trenching fee, but a fee or permit needed for working in the citys right of way...god I hate the city...makes you understand why the average citizen doesn't mess with trying to do it the right way, the way they screw with everybody and make it hard to deal with all the red tape...I'm at that point where they all all kiss my ass...did I mention its friggin hot here also???

qps
07-19-2006, 11:46 PM
i'd stay in bed tommorrow, with the phone off the hook.

I'm gonna shot the first SOB thats even looks at me cross eyed tomorrow!!!

qps
07-19-2006, 11:51 PM
I bet my Ditchwitch key would have started the Komatsu if I had tried.

I'm glad I have beer here.

Oh yeah my F450 only has 40K on it....I'm pretty easy on my equipment and it drives me nuts to be broke down., gonna talk to the dealer about ordereing a new 450 crew cab...ford has extened there warranties to 5 year or 60k on powertrain...great selling point and my 01 F450 should still have a good retail value with only 40k miles xlt model 4x4 with 11 ft heil dump bed with drop down sides and a boss 9' poly blade v-plow..

ksss
07-19-2006, 11:53 PM
I get it now. We have to be bonded with the City to work in the right of way as well. Your really gonna be pissed when your AC doesn't work when your CAT shows up.:drinkup:

qps
07-19-2006, 11:58 PM
I get it now. We have to be bonded with the City to work in the right of way as well. Your really gonna be pissed when your AC doesn't work when your CAT shows up.:drinkup:

Exactly...we need a general contractos license and a 10K bond for excavating work, probably should just go ahead a change my insurance to cover that, buy the bond ( I think its only a coule of hundred dollars for 10k for two years,
GC license is around 250 year...then the red tape to pull the permit..they charge anyone 25 dollars now just to sit down and talk to someone about how to pull it...B.S. democrat goverment in charge...tax and spend....I'm going postal on somebody tomm.;)

wski4fun
07-20-2006, 12:00 AM
I take a different approach to things. Instead of not getting out of bed after things happen, I don't get out before they do. Periodically, I just stay in bed. Seems to be working so far.

qps
07-20-2006, 12:00 AM

speaking of which....should be here the week of the 7th...nothing....should be in port week of the 10th...nothing....wonder if takeuchi has the a/c yet on there new cabs???

qps
07-20-2006, 12:02 AM
I take a different approach to things. Instead of not getting out of bed after things happen, I don't get out before they do. Periodically, I just stay in bed. Seems to be working so far.

Problem with that is my 5 employees just stand around with there thumbs up there ass trying to figure out what to do without me there to hold there hands....did I mention I hate employees also;)

wski4fun
07-20-2006, 12:06 AM
Just as well. Either they do nothing or the wrong thing. Either way at the end of the week they still want their money.

qps
07-20-2006, 12:08 AM
Just as well. Either they do nothing or the wrong thing. Either way at the end of the week they still want their money.

you speak the truth!!!

Dirty Water
07-20-2006, 12:13 AM
you speak the truth!!!

I hate employee's like that too.

I don't know, I'm an employee and I've done nothing but succeed at my company.

Went from a grunt to the foreman/manager in 3 years.

Definitly seen my share of losers come and go in those 3 years though.

Squizzy246B
07-20-2006, 12:14 AM
I'm afraid to get up tomorrow ......can anyone beat this

I'm still in bed today cause of yesterday...and I don't wont to talk about it...other than to say owners who don't get permits to knock down all the trees on their property and fibre optic cables SUCK!

Dirty Water
07-20-2006, 12:16 AM
I'm still in bed today cause of yesterday...and I don't wont to talk about it...other than to say owners who don't get permits to knock down all the trees on their property and fibre optic cables SUCK!

I think you have us beat, if you snagged a fiber line...!

qps
07-20-2006, 12:19 AM

WEll on the same dig I hit a 200 pair phone line, only nicked a couple of lines but they had four trucks a pump an six guys standing around...so I'm sue i'll be getting that bill soon also:hammerhead: you woud have thought I had cut power to the whole city or something....

qps
07-20-2006, 12:21 AM
I think you have us beat, if you snagged a fiber line...!

thank god the xanax is starting to kick in:sleeping:

ksss
07-20-2006, 12:38 AM
On the Takeuchi subject TK has posted information on the new TB53 which will be called the TB153. It is now available. They have made some spec improvements arm dig force is 600 pounds more etc. I had a fist full of questions for them regarding the differences. I sent an email for what good it will do. TK usually responds to 1 in 3 of my e-mails. Kinda sucks I have direct line to CASE engineering and TK wont give me the time of day. I have to finallize my 465 order tomorrow ( they sent in a nonspecific order to get me in under the program). I am tempted to order a new excavator instead.

Squizzy246B
07-20-2006, 01:49 AM
Update: The developer paid a subbie to put the F Opt down at 6'...it was barely 6" when I got it with a Komatsu loader. Heats off me

QualityLawnCare4u
07-20-2006, 01:50 AM
Dang qps, I will have to say that you did have a bad day, makes mine not seem so bad after all.:drinkup:

qps
07-20-2006, 08:01 AM
On the Takeuchi subject TK has posted information on the new TB53 which will be called the TB153. It is now available. They have made some spec improvements arm dig force is 600 pounds more etc. I had a fist full of questions for them regarding the differences. I sent an email for what good it will do. TK usually responds to 1 in 3 of my e-mails. Kinda sucks I have direct line to CASE engineering and TK wont give me the time of day. I have to finallize my 465 order tomorrow ( they sent in a nonspecific order to get me in under the program). I am tempted to order a new excavator instead.

get both....you can't beat 0%

qps
07-20-2006, 01:40 PM
get both....you can't beat 0%

Went down to the permit office this morning and found out there were fining me 100.00 for contiuning work without a permit...WTF...I haven't touched jack since they red tagged it......:hammerhead: