PDA

View Full Version : ZTR Winch + 2" Reciever!

BSDeality
07-19-2006, 09:42 PM
Just thought I would share my little life-saver modification I did to my Gravely 260Z. I added a front and rear 2" reciever tube to my machine.

This allows me to hook put a draw bar in my machine and pull my trailer around the driveway w/o hooking up the truck, can use it to pull my 60" aerator, and I modified my 2K lb atv winch to sit on a 2" insert, so I can put the winch on the front or rear of my machine if I need to get out of a pickle.

BSDeality
07-19-2006, 09:45 PM
here is the rear bumper I made with the 2" tube. it is re-inforced with 1/2" stock underneath.

grass disaster
07-19-2006, 09:53 PM
you are a cobler

BSDeality
07-19-2006, 10:03 PM
you are a coblercome again?

Tim03
07-19-2006, 10:09 PM
That looks very nice. I often wondered how you would get a machine that can wiegh well over 1000 pounds unstuck when its in the middle of someones grass.

What is a Cobler?

BSDeality
07-19-2006, 10:13 PM
my next trick is to make a land anchor so that if I'm not close enough to any trees I can still get out. I use my big web ratchet straps around trees or off the truck or trailer if I'm close enough to the road.

As you can see by the mud on the tanks, I had to use the winch just last week as I lost the machine in a ditch.

TURF DOCTOR
07-19-2006, 10:15 PM
lol That was funny it seems it will work a cobler lol seems you have a lot of time on your hands,i have thought if one of the small electric winches would work.

BSDeality
07-19-2006, 10:24 PM
lol That was funny it seems it will work a cobler lol seems you have a lot of time on your hands,i have thought if one of the small electric winches would work.was that english?

mulcahy mowing
07-19-2006, 10:26 PM
lol That was funny it seems it will work a cobler lol seems you have a lot of time on your hands,i have thought if one of the small electric winches would work.
I guess they get something we don't ;) ;)

looks good nice welds

Jason Rose
07-19-2006, 10:33 PM
I bought an old 503 Dixon from a homeowner once that he had scabbed a small winch onto the front of! He said he used it to move around RR ties that he used to have lining his driveway... Made NO sence to me as anything over the weight of the machine, which was not much over 600 pounds, would just drag it instead of what you were hooked too! and it was not used for getting unstuck, there was no dirt and the property was 100% flat as a pancake! I cut it off and still have it, works good, slow as heck though, has to be powered OUT even and is only rated at like 1,200 pounds...

TURF DOCTOR
07-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Seems to be overkill to me looks like you would be more in to cutting grass.

Audrey
07-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Very cool! I like that a lot! :clapping:

I remember you mentioned this mod the other day in the thread about getting ZTR's stuck. I liked the idea then, even more so after seeing it now.
I like how things can do double duty. Pretty cool how you can jockey a trailer around. With those tubes you can also utilize a big tow hook or one of those flat grates one sees on the front of SUV's carrying coolers and stuff. You could drag quite a bit with a hook and chain. Somewhat like an ATV.

Hmmm.... I think I'll head on out to the garage for a little midnight Scag modification planning. :laugh:
All I have now is a big ol' eyebolt in the rear for a trailer hitch/extraction hook point. This is MUCH better! :weightlifter:

A

Rickco
07-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Looks like a nice set up. How long of a pull can you get with the relatively small battery?

P.S. A Cobbler is one who makes or repairs shoes

BSDeality
07-19-2006, 10:50 PM
you're entitled to your opinion.

I like flexibility though, it started with some very light programming I did back in the day. Everything was a "module" that worked with another part. The more standardization, the more efficient the operation. The same applies to my landscaping business.

I demand a few things from this mower, not just cutting grass, so I need to have options in configuration. This platform allows me maximum usage of the machine. When the winch is not needed it rides in the toolbox of my truck out of the way and weather.

That same flexibility applies to my trailer. I have set it up for maximum effeciency right now, I use a hitch hauler for another aspect of my business. but on mowing days I utilize that same hitch hauler to hold my gas gans, blower and string. It sits up above the front of my mower off the floor to max. the floor space. In the event that I have my WB on the trailer I can move the hitch hauler to the side so it runs length ways down the trailer and sits over the front of the WB. I also accomplished this by adding 2" recievers to my trailer on the front and side rail. I bet you really think I have too much time on my hands now. However think of it this way, I spend no time climbing over gear on the trailer floor, its up out of the way, completely removeable with one hitch pin if I need to haul brush or pick up mulch, etc. I can also mount my winch on the trailer to pull objects on to it from both the front or up the side ramp I have on it too.

Boy... all this effeciency and flexibility, you must hate me now. :hammerhead:

BSDeality
07-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Looks like a nice set up. How long of a pull can you get with the relatively small battery?I have to buy some wing nuts for my battery terminals so I can hook it there. I use the winch while sitting on the machine with it running so I don't muck up the hydro pumps by pulling them w/o it running. The machine should produce enough power to do short pulls. For now though I hook it up to a jump-pack that I also have in my truck, I had it use it twice on that property the other day when I got stuck and there as plenty of juice. I have a pulley where it will reduce the workload on the winch, but cut draw speed by 1/2 too.

Audrey
07-19-2006, 11:38 PM
That's great! I love it! I do the same type of stuff too. Only, I DO have too much time on my hands! :laugh:

Excellent thinking and design for maximum utilization of equipment. Spending a little time in the shop on a weekend saves so much later on. Look at the efficiency!

What I did was to mount a 8000lb Warn on the tongue. I load cars, logs, civil war cannons, safes, loaded toolboxes, mother-in-law, you name it. I also welded D rings on the side to strap down skid loaders and heavy stuff. I have several auxiliary lights to work at night also. I mounted a 12v car battery to the tongue as well. This is connected to the truck battery via welder's cable. I used tow truck connectors for connections. This powers the winch as a stand alone for light or quick pulls, but I connect and run the truck if it's a bigger load.

This is a great idea with the 2" tube. What's to say you couldn't have two places to run verticals on the same side, and opposing. With two supports on the same side, you could in essence add a second level to the trailer. A ladder rack of sorts. Sheet goods, pipe/conduit, 16' boards... all the while keeping the main deck clear. You could do the same with stake pockets, but I would think the two inch tube is stronger as opposed to the wood. 1 1/2 X 3 1X2 steel is really heavy, and expensive.
There could also be a "bridge" of sorts made. This could be another tie down point ( or points) for taller or top heavy things. Heck, make two! I hauled a milling machine once where this would have been nice. Soda machine, refrigerators, tall safes, anything at all where some support would be nice.

OK, how about a bridge that you could use for support to lift the front end of the ZTR for blade changes or scraping the deck? 10 minutes and the mulch kit would be on or off too.

You could make a bridge with a cargo carrier on it. This would allow you to put stuff anywhere front to back where you have the corresponding 2" pockets. Not just LCO stuff, but anything. Same for the sides. Like rail bed toolboxes for pickups, but a cargo carrier type. Aluminum tubing would save on the weight as opposed to steel. Can you TiG?

I like the idea of a winch on the side capability. Even though it's a little lighter duty, it's still very useful there. There've been times when I had to run all the cable out and use a snatch block to pull perpendicular to the trailer. Keeping tension on a tree to be felled is a great example. Dragging the logs too. Ever move an empty hot tub by yourself? :cry: You get inventive when you're working alone.

Thanks for posting your shots BSDealty! :) I don't think it's overkill at all.

The possibilities here are endless! :weightlifter:

Oh, this is bad news....:dizzy: :laugh:

A

Audrey
07-19-2006, 11:47 PM
[QUOTE=BSDeality] I use the winch while sitting on the machine with it running so I don't muck up the hydro pumps by pulling them w/o it running. [QUOTE]

Can you freewheel the pumps on a Gravely? Is there a pump bypass? What do you do if you want to move the machine in the shop, but not turn it on?

This would enable your weight to be off of the machine when you pull.

EDIT: Use stainless wing nuts. They will never corrode or rust. If you get caught without tools you will still have a fighting chance to remove them.

A

BSDeality
07-19-2006, 11:58 PM
Audrey, thanks for the kind words and its always nice to see/talk about other creations. I've see a similar trailer with a "bridge" that a LCO used for storing blowers and such up off the floor. his was not removeable and limited the use of the trailer significantly. This could be addressed by using 2" tube in a vertical position so the rack could drop down into place. you could put it anywhere if you had enough tubes on the side rails.

I've added in floor rings, and D-rings to the sides of the trailer too. My trailer is only a 3500lb gvrw, so I'm not parking skids on it, but i've certainly piled many heavy things on it where securing it to the rail wouldn't be the best idea.

Here's a shot of the rack with my Z parked under it. There is plenty of room to get on and off the machine with the rack in place. It also shows the first tube I mounted to the rail. I had to lift it up about 1/2" to clear the WB deck, so I used some of the grade 8 washers it came with. I don't use it much in this position any more, or I would weld it

BSDeality
07-20-2006, 12:03 AM
the manual says there is a bypass, i've never looked for it though. If I have to move the machine, i'm starting it, i'm not going to try to push it.

I also made a very simple 2 place weed wacker rack. I use tarp bungees (the ones with the balls on them) to secure the weedwackers in place and have never lost a tool yet. I started making a rack for the cooler but then figured out a way to mount it with only bungee's. I've never had it move in all my travels (and the roads are pretty bumpy around here).

Oh, no TIG, just a Lincoln 235 MIG or an old stick welder if I dug it out.

Audrey
07-20-2006, 12:45 AM
That's just cool....
I love home grown ingenuity! :)

I'd take a second and scout around for those bypass valves. I use mine frequently on both machines. The new one takes a 5/8 wrench, the old I can do by hand. You never know, someday your lack of body weight might make the difference. Also, what happens if the machine wouldn't start for some reason? YMMV...

With that bridge... Make it in two sections. Where it joins at the top, have a male plug that will fit half to one side, half to the other. Pin them together using regular hitch pins. This allows lighter weight, making it easier to assemble, easier to store, and also added versatility by allowing you to use only one half if you choose. That's still a 2" receiver hanging horizontally up there. Winch, come-along, or whatever. It's over extended and not overly strong, but that alone will still hold the front of a ZTR. Use a jack stand too! OR... run a steel bar across the trailer, rail top to rail top, going under the front of the ZTR frame. Many other uses for a steel bar as opposed to a jack stand.

I would stay off of the rails for mounting 2" receivers for the bridges. Weld the verticals to the frame. You will need the strength. It's the only place you can take it from. Maybe tack the rails to the verticals if you want, but get your support from the frame. Maybe an extra long vertical to capture the full height of the frame, and the top rail. A small bead to the top rail will make that entire assembly stronger as well.

This will be better for when you mount your removable plywood sides with big U-bolts. :)

A couple of those bridges will also make it nicer to tarp something big if needed. Poor man's enclosed trailer if you will. It will shed snow better as well as rain. Nothing says you can't run plywood between the tops of the bridges for a "roof" if you would want to.

That receiver mounted on the rail... That seems risky. How many times have you seen the rail flex? :) I can do mine easy with just with 3" ratchet straps. Can you spare the floor space for it? I'd try to make a reinforcing plate for the floor and catch the frame somewhere. Or maybe pin/bolt the receiver down so you can remove it when not needed, and keep the plate?
For that matter, make a reinforcing plate for another location also. Put the receiver wherever you might want it.

Geez! You must be skinny as heck! :laugh: I'd never get out from between the machine and the rack. That would be one way to keep the help! :laugh:

I foresee many Saturdays out in the garage! For both of us! :laugh:

A

Up North
07-20-2006, 01:06 AM
Pretty cool idea BS. I really like the winch idea as I could have used one last season in a big way. Nice job on the rack as well, it pays to be creative...keep it up.:clapping:

Buck

Uranus
07-20-2006, 01:13 AM
With all the rain up here in the northeast i bet you used the winch once or twice this year. It beat driving your truck over the lawn with a tow line. But if we all had a golf cart like lawninorder ( trail rig.JPG ) we would be all set

Blades and Blooms
07-21-2006, 12:52 PM
another idea for the reciever on the trailer would be to put the winch on there and pull the ZTR up onto the trailer if the need ever arose...just an idea

BSDeality
07-21-2006, 03:52 PM
another idea for the reciever on the trailer would be to put the winch on there and pull the ZTR up onto the trailer if the need ever arose...just an ideaI did that to test it out actually. The vertical frame piece is just strong enough to use to pull the Z, I wouldn't plan on winching anything much heavier since its only a 3500lb trailer.

Idealtim
07-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Where theres a will, theres a way. Looks like you have a problem, then solve it. Hats off to you sir. P.S.-How wet/muddy are your lawns?

mcwlandscaping
07-22-2006, 11:12 PM
That is soo awsome, great problem solver right there!!

BSDeality
07-23-2006, 02:17 AM
Where theres a will, theres a way. Looks like you have a problem, then solve it. Hats off to you sir. P.S.-How wet/muddy are your lawns?Lawns were OK this week, last week though some lawns had some nasty areas. I seem to have a knack for finding them :hammerhead:

Palmer'sLS
07-23-2006, 10:00 PM
That's great! I love it! I do the same type of stuff too. Only, I DO have too much time on my hands! :laugh:

What I did was to mount a 8000lb Warn on the tongue. I load cars, logs, civil war cannons, safes, loaded toolboxes, mother-in-law, you name it. I also welded D rings on the side to strap down skid loaders and heavy stuff. I have several auxiliary lights to work at night also. I mounted a 12v car battery to the tongue as well. This is connected to the truck battery via welder's cable. I used tow truck connectors for connections. This powers the winch as a stand alone for light or quick pulls, but I connect and run the truck if it's a bigger load.

A

Audrey...are you a reenactor?!?!?!?!

Audrey
07-23-2006, 11:23 PM
:laugh: Audrey...are you a reenactor?!?!?!?!

YUP! :) You too??

I do Federal artillery, about 5 years or so. Infantry a couple of times here and there.

Work has been nuts so I haven't been out in a while. It's a 10lb Parrott rifle and limber. Not mine, the unit i'm in with. For some events, we borrow additional guns. It's nicer having a section.

I have all the gear for Federal artillery, but I still need a few odds and ends for the infantry impression. Belt, buckle, and cartridge box. That's it. I'm kicking around getting another sack coat for Confederate. It opens up more opportunities to play.

Most of the time you have a ball. When it hits a 100 and 90% humidity, and no breeze, you literally cook inside ofthe wool. :) You've got to be a little touched to actually enjoy that. Especially the three or four day events. No showers, 90 degrees and up, and the lovely sulfur from the 8-10 ounce rounds. If it weren't for the sulfur and fire smoke, we would probably gag ourselves! :laugh:

Call me crazy, but that's a darn good time. I enjoy the heck out of it. It's also nice when the public goes home. The stories around the fire are well worth the price of admission!

I remember one event. I think it was Gaithersburg MD. I'm not sure, it's been a while. Anyway, it was February. We were interpreting a picket post. We were a sectional gun emplacement with infantry support. The Rebs were probing and attempting to penetrate our post. It was a really good time, during the day. We moved the gun a little and it was sunny. However, as night fell, and you are still soaking under your shell jacket, it begins to get a little chilly. :)

Well, let me tell you.... that greatcoat never felt so good! No tents (we're authentic minded) , one moderate fire (we are a picket mind you), and one wool blanket. We "slept" in the shape of spokes on a wheel. It hit 17 degrees around 4am or so. I slept for about 15 minutes laying down, then for about 30 sitting indian style with the cape over my head. It was a long night to say the least. :laugh: The next day was ok again. We got moving and forgot about it.

We were the only unit to make it through the night without anyone going awol. It was hard, but your friends are there and they're going through what you are and it pulls you through. It would have been easy to "ring the bell" and wimper off to the truck a mile away. I'm glad I stayed.

We did several impressions on the fields at Gettyburg, Antietam, and Fredricksburg. There's also a place in Maryland. The civil war correspondant's memorial is there. Geez I suffer from CRS.....
It's where they filmed that Blair Witch movie.
Anyway, we did several living histories there. It's really close to Antietam. Usually over the 4th of July. At night we would head on down to the fireworks on the battlefield.

Ever slept on the field at Gettysburg? It's a heck of an honor. On any of the fields, not just there.

Boy... lots of stories.... :)

A

Palmer'sLS
07-24-2006, 11:27 AM
:laugh:

YUP! :) You too??

I do Federal artillery, about 5 years or so. Infantry a couple of times here and there.

Ever slept on the field at Gettysburg? It's a heck of an honor. On any of the fields, not just there.

Boy... lots of stories.... :)

A

Yes, I do confederate infantry...7th Virginia Comp. F..3rd Reg. ANV...and yes i have slept on the field at gettysburg, and it was the experience of a lifetime...actually the only remaining flag for the 7th Virginia is located in a small museum in Gettysburg...i have yet to do any events this year (as i hate my captain) lol...but i am lookin into joining another local unit. Oh, and i have done artillery before as well, and i will have to say i like it ALOT more than infantry (lot less marching) lol...but anyways....what exactly is your unit?

stevesmowing
01-28-2007, 04:08 PM
great idea! both of my rigs always have at least 2 mowers on them. So we just use the other one to pull out a mower if it gets stuck. 95% of the time another zero turn will pull out a zero turn. Last year I did have one of my employees get a little to close to a drainage ditch on a property and sink the ztr half way up the tires. Luckily it was right by the road and I was able to pull it out with the truck.

Lawn Enforcer
01-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Great idea! That is pretty cool. I would build stuff like that if I had a welder. I was thinking about buying a Craftsman welder for $200 at Sears.

stevesmowing
01-28-2007, 09:45 PM
If you are going to buy a welder I would invest in a good quality one. I am borrowing my cousins Miller which is very nice. I own an oxy/acc set up that I use for heating, cutting and some welding.

BSDeality
01-29-2007, 12:17 AM
a $20 2" receiver tube and some welding is all it takes for this mod on some Z's. It saved my ass twice in the fall with all the rain we had. I push leaves with it now too. I modified my JRCO mounts onto a 2" plate receiver. I got stuck in the mud in the woods more than once.

02DURAMAX
01-29-2007, 12:30 AM
That Smart!!....I may put a winch on my stander...I have 2500lb winch laying around that was from my old ATV...

ribbie78
01-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Great thread; and some GREAT ideas on here. I've been stuck several times in a few valley areas on z's and it is not fun. A winch would make getting out SOO much easier with all the trees around and there's no way to get a truck in some of the valleys.... Possible March mod for me! (i'd say Feb. but it's already booked with stuff :dizzy: )

As someone stated earlier; do you see any flex with that trailer side mounted carrier? What if you weld the receiver parallel with the trailer rails and make a rectangular basket centered above to keep the main weight of the basket over the hitch area?

This threads really got me thinking now.....the whole receiver idea is so versatile.... a beer cooler holder on the front of the z for those "BIG" fields...
....mount a flatscreen with satellite dish and never miss the big game on the mower..... skies the limit when ya hitch it!

BSDeality
01-29-2007, 01:37 PM
you could certainly modify the way its set on the rail. I use mine primarily for holding my hitch carrier with the blowers, gas cans, and weed wacker line, etc. I've used it to winch a few times and it does flex to some degree. However my winch gives out before the it damages the rail.