PDA

View Full Version : Paver step........question

tthomass
07-19-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm ICPI certified and all that but its been 2 years since I did any steps......I have to install one (yeah I know only one, not two but its due to grade and not by choice) from a walk to a small patio covering under a deck.

Well I was a little foggy upstairs so I started referencing my ICPI book to find nothing on steps but only flat areas but I did find this on a quick Yahoo search: http://capbrick.com/celtik_steps.htm

I don't recall the company I was with at the time using any pins??.............only and stack and glue basically.

Also, the solid concrete block.......thats not just a riser correct? I didn't recall seeing any solid non faced block at the yard.

Thanks for any help fellas!:weightlifter: Now that 23 tons of base is down with wheelbarrows we can start laying...........long day!

zedosix
07-19-2006, 10:01 PM
That is the step and riser system from permacon. With this you could use the pins or just glue the cap to the block. Also the block they refer to is just a concrete block which is usually buried so they go cheapy on that.

So you are Icpi cerified and you don't know how to build one step? mmmmm

Good luck

tthomass
07-19-2006, 10:33 PM
i haven't built steps in 2 years out of pavers......been doing mostly masonry instead of pavers.

at a company i used to work for we took a cement block (line for building a masonry wall or house foundation etc) and glued the riser to that and glued the cap to that all with compacted subase under and back filling as we went........so yeah i can build them but perhaps from a better stand point seeing if there is a better way to do it than what the company i was with did since i know how they used to cut some corners on things

2nd opinions don't hurt

McKeeLand
07-21-2006, 11:56 PM
My icpi course might have spent 5min talking about steps and there where no questions on the test about steps. So yes you can be certified and not know how to build steps. I took a step course offered during my icpi course that helped a lot. The main thing about steps is do them right and by the book. They are a huge liability and usually the first thing to fail on a job that is done improperly.

tthomass
07-22-2006, 09:31 PM
i just did it as always........only one step.........i didn't want to do it due to grade issues but he insisted so the way the grade works out his step is only 5"............covering 1/2 the riser with pavers, i'm going to recomment painting the face of the cap white due ot trip hazard and its right next to the deck that has white facing so it would look okay

to each his own i suppose

mckeeland............mind posting up a diagram or link or something as to how you do them? i'm looking for a better process especially for multiple steps/walls

mbella
07-22-2006, 09:49 PM
That is the step and riser system from permacon. With this you could use the pins or just glue the cap to the block. Also the block they refer to is just a concrete block which is usually buried so they go cheapy on that.

Good luck

Last time I checked, ICPI dealt with pavers and flat work, not block, or raised applications.

mbella
07-22-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm ICPI certified and all that but its been 2 years since I did any steps......I have to install one (yeah I know only one, not two but its due to grade and not by choice) from a walk to a small patio covering under a deck.

Well I was a little foggy upstairs so I started referencing my ICPI book to find nothing on steps but only flat areas but I did find this on a quick Yahoo search: http://capbrick.com/celtik_steps.htm

I don't recall the company I was with at the time using any pins??.............only and stack and glue basically.

Also, the solid concrete block.......thats not just a riser correct? I didn't recall seeing any solid non faced block at the yard.

Thanks for any help fellas!:weightlifter: Now that 23 tons of base is down with wheelbarrows we can start laying...........long day!

Are you familiar with the pedestal method of building steps?

Squizzy246B
07-22-2006, 10:50 PM

Gee that really contributed to the thread.:confused:

McKeeLand
07-24-2006, 10:43 PM
Here is a page from EP Henry's catalog that shows a simple pic of step construction. The biggest mistake is not building the steps solid from the base. A lot of guys will fill with stone, which in time will settle and sink. It makes the steps expensive, but i will not do them if they will not pay to do them right, because i have to fix them, not the homeowner. If you want any more examples let me know, i would be more than happy to show.

cedarcroft
07-25-2006, 07:53 PM
what is the Pedestal Method, for building steps?

tthomass
07-26-2006, 01:06 AM
I'm only familar with what I posted about compacted base, solid cinder block and glueing...........so Pedestal Method i'm unsure of

thanks for the EP Henry info.........didn't think of looking there.....btw, know Techo Block bought them out to begin installations? might be old news but i only heard of it recently

thanks for the help fellas.............i think info like this.........processes, would make a great sticky.......pavers, masonry......make a FAQ etc with diagrams

Dreams To Designs
07-26-2006, 06:43 AM
What is that about Techo Bloc buying who out and doing installations?

Kirk

tthomass
07-26-2006, 06:49 PM
"thanks for the EP Henry info.........didn't think of looking there.....btw, know Techo Block bought them out to begin installations? might be old news but i only heard of it recently"

= Techo Block bought EP Henry..........

McKeeLand
07-27-2006, 11:10 PM
What!!!:confused: Are you saying that Techo block bougth EP Henry???

Dreams To Designs
07-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Your information is extremely incorrect!!! EP Henry is alive and well and is still owned by the Henry family. They did make some major personnel changes including many upper level managers in a quest to reorganize and improve the quality of their product, but they have not sold to anyone. They continue to run all their own facilities and provide some of the best contractor support in the industry.

Techo-Bloc is also doing quite well with expansions of their own and contractor oriented programs to benefit their installers and make the public more aware of their quality and extensive product range.

Neither company is in the installation business, but both will assist installers with engineering and on-site consultants. Whichever product you choose will be well supported with a phone call to a local representative or field service technician that will come out to your job if necessary and assist you in the correct installation techniques. That should hold true for whichever product you choose, and if it doesn't, find another supplier and/or manufacturer.

Kirk