PDA

View Full Version : Case 550H Dozer Repair Question (Brakes)

dozerman21
07-20-2006, 12:58 AM
The brakes on my Case 550H dozer need to be replaced and I was wondering if anyone has ever worked on this themselves? I know it's a big repair, I'm just wondering how many hours, price for parts, etc... If anyone has done this to a Case, or something similar, any info is appreciated.

Dirty Water
07-22-2006, 08:37 AM
I'd call your nearest case dealer and get a quote on parts, as well as find out how many hours their service manual claims it is.

Whatever they say, double it, and your looking at it a little more realisticly.

Working on heavy equipment takes big tools, your going to need a strong impact gun and a hefty compressor, as well as lots of large expensive sockets. Do you have what it takes?

notoriousDUG
07-22-2006, 11:03 AM
I have never done that specific job but I have done some large jobs on good sized equiptment.

If you regularly deal with a local Case dealer they shoudl be willing to photo copy you the necessary info out of the manual, take a look at that and you can figure out if it is within your skill range.

Most special tools for stuff can be made if you use your head. I woudl think the biggest issue may be heavy lifting equiptment.

Dirty Water
07-22-2006, 12:48 PM
How is the rest of the undercarriage? Perhaps you might want to consider taking the time to give it a full rebuild.

Gravel Rat
07-22-2006, 10:07 PM
If the machine is got high hours it might be time to look for another machine most of the time its not worth beating a dead horse. If the machine is going to need new tracks,rollers,idlers,sproket it might not be worth fixing the machine.

You should find out of Case has the parts you need instock and what they will cost.

I went through the same situation with the 963 Cat track loader I was repairing so we ended up fixing what we had to and left the rest. The cost to rebuild the machine was more than what the machine was worth.

Total up the list and make the decission.

dozerman21
07-22-2006, 11:47 PM
Yeah, that's the problem I have now. I don't want to put a ton of money into it, that's why I don't want to go through the dealer. The machine has around 5200 hours on it. That's high for a finish dozer, especially the conditions we work it in. The undercarriage has been replaced on it and the rest of the machine is pretty tight, that's why I hoped it would last until next spring. We have the tools and parts manual, and I know a mechanic that will help, but he's never done brakes. I'm just trying to stay away from the dealer if possible.

Gravel Rat
07-23-2006, 02:09 AM
You are going to have to deal with a Case dealer for the parts I really doubt there are aftermarket pieces for the machine. Then your going to have fun with the parts runnaround trying to match serial numbers etc.

I looked up the machine I didn't know what size of machine you were dealing with. Its not a very big machine it should be easy to work on the only biatch I can see is your gonna have to strip the machine down and maybe take the ROPs off.

Have a digital camera while your doing the work so you can take pictures of how the parts go on and off and where the parts went. Its not for us to see but a reference for you as you can look at the pictures and say oh thats where that part goes after you have everything back together :laugh:

Have lots of little lunch bags or little boxes to put the bolts and parts into so you have a box for one part of the machine a box for another part so on and so on.

When I started ripping into the 963 I worked on I never pulled a Cat apart before it was a learning experience and I sure used the "F" word alot and screamed it as FFFUUU cant type the rest.

The machine I worked on spent most of its life working in garbage so it didn't smell very nice.

Good Luck