PDA

View Full Version : F-550 or GMC 5500?

McKeeLand
07-20-2006, 01:17 AM
Ok i have a 2000 F-450, 7.3L with a six speed. It has 122k on it and i am looking to replace it. i want to go with a heaver truck, the 550 or 5500. i am a die hard ford man, but have dumped thousand into this truck and my last truck, 92 F-superduty 7.3L. I am considering the gmc, in fact i test drove one tonite. i like alot about it, but i dont like alot about it too. First the looks take alot to get use to. Also duramax seems to be a lot slower than the powerstroke, to me, but you get the allison trans. The gmc just look like a heavier truck than the ford. Then of course the 6.0 PS has been nothing but problems. Any way i was hoping to hear some pros and cons from everybody out there. Thanks for any input guys.

jazak
07-20-2006, 10:46 AM
If you don't care about the wider truck then I would get the 5500 especaily if you do light excavation because it pulls skids, mini-exs, ext much better then the F-550. But if you want to get into backyards ext the F-550 is a little more manuverable for tigh areas. Around here all the tree guys use F-550s because we can get into tighter places then the 5500 but all the excavators and some landscapers have the 5500 because of a little heavier duty truck then the F-550 plus it pulls better. Just my .00002

Ironmower
07-20-2006, 11:28 AM
I would go with the Ford. My whole fleet is F-250 through F-550's and all are either 5.4 gas or 6.0 diesels and none have had any problems so far, from the engines or transmissions. I did have a '04 Chevy 4500 and the frame cracked on it so I decided from then on just to stick with Ford trucks. GM knows how to make what looks like a truck (G-series van body on a brittle frame), but Ford knows how to make real trucks.

notoriousDUG
07-20-2006, 12:11 PM
The 6.0 is not the problem that it once was. Our new 6.0 trucks have been trouble free. The issues with them where mostly wiht the programming and now that international is doingit rather then Ford they have been fine.

The only other issue is with either turbo cokeing or rusting form either excesive idle time or only short trips.

The Duramax is a good motor but I stil think the 6.0 is superior. Plus I feel that the GM chassis are no where near as good as the comprable Ford.

Gravel Rat
07-20-2006, 04:09 PM
If all you need is a 2wd dump truck look at Hino the 185 would prolly suit your needs. When I looked at the 185 it has a heavy frame it has all what a little medium duty truck should have. Its a little lower powered over a Ford or Chevy but if your only doing interurban work.

I'am a die hard Ford man too but when you have to spend 50,000 dollars for a F-550 Cab and Chassis 4x4 diesel which is what I would have to pay a dealer you want something that will last 4 years.

A Hino 185 has 6000lb front axle 13,000lb rear axle has a 90,000 tensile frame 175hp-347ftlb engine not big on power but good on fuel and a 18,000lb gvw.

I know two guys with Hino trucks one is a COE the last year Hino made a 18,000lb gvw COE truck and the other guy has a 2006 185. They both had Ford F-450 trucks both of them say the same thing their fuel mileage trippled and the reliability doubled going with the Hino trucks. They travel about the same amount of travel I know the distance of their route they both saved atleast 100 dollars in fuel per trip they make. When we pay upto $4.22 per gallon of diesel fuel you want good MPG.

They don't know each other the one guy is a wood worker he creates custom wood work for expensive houses he has the COE and the other guy is a metal recycler has the 185. I also talked to another guy with a Hino COE (18,000lb gvw) the truck has been to New York and back down into the southern states and back. That is far far away from the West Coast of Canada the guy that owns the truck says he's never had a problem with the truck it goes anywhere he wants to go.

If I had enough work and only used the truck for work a Hino 185 with a dump body would be in my driveway.

Travel'n Trees
07-20-2006, 08:23 PM
You need to call FORD and ask them if you can haul, what you haul. I haul rock, dirt, mulch, and sand. and dealers all over the U.S. have not warrantied work on my 550 because I haul those products, FORD the manufacture completely backed it. Erie, PA., Blue Springs, Mo., Arnold Missouri, Crystal Springs Ms., Brookhaven, Ms., New Orleans, La., Kansas City, Mo., Lee's Summit, Mo., FORD dealers in these town stated the same thing.

McKeeLand
07-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks for all your input. i want to test drive a new F550 this weekend to see the difference in the two. I did consider the hino for a little bit on the advise of my mech. but he has since advised me away from them because the repairs on them are very expensive. He said he did a brake job on one and it ran a couple thousand dollars.
Another question i was wondering is do you guys with crew cabs think you get the use out of the?. Are they worth the extra money and turning radius?
Thanks again for the input.

jazak
07-21-2006, 03:24 PM
If you are constantly moving more then 2 or 3 guys to each job and will only have this truck availible to movr then and the equipment then I would get it if not then I wouldn't waste the extra $$$. For the ford why not get ext cab? Its not as long doesn't cost a whole lot more $$ like the crew cab and keeps the truck from becoing really hard to turn.

olderthandirt
07-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Don't want to get into what truck is better BS. But I can tell you that this is the last yr for the 6 liter power stroke according to the dealer. Ford has had to many problems with it and its being replaced with a 6.4 diesel.

TWUllc
07-21-2006, 07:19 PM
If you don't care about the wider truck then I would get the 5500 especaily if you do light excavation because it pulls skids, mini-exs, ext much better then the F-550. But if you want to get into backyards ext the F-550 is a little more manuverable for tigh areas.

BINGO. .

2004F550
07-21-2006, 07:55 PM
the 5500 turns tigher though...even thought it may seem bigger

McKeeLand
07-22-2006, 12:15 AM
i thought about the extend cab from ford, my complaint is that it only comes in the small wheel base. i want to put a 12' body on and 9' is the biggest on the extend cab. At least this was in 06'. I dont know why ford does that. I have a 3 man crew and currently we have to take 2 truck to the job. some times we need 2 but i would like to have the flexibility to only take one. I loved how big and open the GMC's crew cab was. i could fit all kinds of crap in there and my crew, but it does drive like a school bus. but the real issue is gmc or ford. Again thanks for the input guys.

TierOneLawnCare
07-22-2006, 05:27 PM
I am a service advisor for a Ford Dealer....Trust me go with the 5500, Duramax a much better Eng over the 6.0l.....In Fact my service manager just traded his 06 F350 Harley Edition for a 06 Silverado 3500.......Besides Ford is scraping the 6.0l in a Year or so....Ill bet we replace 6 Head Gaskets a week, So far only 1 out of warranty $5,500.....trust me go with the Duramax

mcwlandscaping
07-22-2006, 05:37 PM
I am a service advisor for a Ford Dealer....Trust me go with the 5500, Duramax a much better Eng over the 6.0l.....In Fact my service manager just traded his 06 F350 Harley Edition for a 06 Silverado 3500.......Besides Ford is scraping the 6.0l in a Year or so....Ill bet we replace 6 Head Gaskets a week, So far only 1 out of warranty $5,500.....trust me go with the Duramax
Ouch for the owners of those trucks!

Gravel Rat
07-22-2006, 07:26 PM
It doesn't pay to own a new diesel it doesn't matter which brand Ford Chev or Dodge.

If you are really getting into heavier hauling and you don't use the truck for a daily driver I would look into low pro medium duty trucks aswell a low pro Freightliner or a International with a real engine under the hood will give you far better service.

I have been looking at newer trucks too something like a 2006 F-550 but I'am looking at 35,000 dollars for a F-550 XL V-10 6spd 165wb 2wd a 4x4 truck with the same spec's is 46,176. Thats cab and chassis nothing else.

One of the local guys I know that works in the woods his F-350 4x4 6.0 spends 50% of the time at the dealer. The truck is a 03 I know a few 04s that spend alot of time at the dealer.

A old guy I work with he is a GM nut loves his Chevys and he has friends that work at GM dealers. The Duramax isn't exempt from problems many of them are having head gaskets and injector problems. Another one of his friends is a o/op tow truck its a Duramax powered 1 ton tow its needed head gaskets and has problems with the aluminum heads. I do believe on what he says because he is one step away from having a GM Tattoo all over his body.

olderthandirt
07-22-2006, 07:57 PM
There all made like sh*t, that pretty much somes up todays built trucks

jazak
07-22-2006, 08:08 PM
It doesn't pay to own a new diesel it doesn't matter which brand Ford Chev or Dodge.
If you are really getting into heavier hauling and you don't use the truck for a daily driver I would look into low pro medium duty trucks aswell a low pro Freightliner or a International with a real engine under the hood will give you far better service.

I have been looking at newer trucks too something like a 2006 F-550 but I'am looking at 35,000 dollars for a F-550 XL V-10 6spd 165wb 2wd a 4x4 truck with the same spec's is 46,176. Thats cab and chassis nothing else.

One of the local guys I know that works in the woods his F-350 4x4 6.0 spends 50% of the time at the dealer. The truck is a 03 I know a few 04s that spend alot of time at the dealer.

A old guy I work with he is a GM nut loves his Chevys and he has friends that work at GM dealers. The Duramax isn't exempt from problems many of them are having head gaskets and injector problems. Another one of his friends is a o/op tow truck its a Duramax powered 1 ton tow its needed head gaskets and has problems with the aluminum heads. I do believe on what he says because he is one
step away from having a GM Tattoo all over his body.

Dude I think you're crazy! :dizzy: :hammerhead:
I run diesel chippers, diesel trucks and other diesel machines. There is NO WAY GAS EVEN COMPARES. I had to run the chip truck and Bandit 250XP all day yesterday because the batteries where dying and I had to keep the juice running (I was to far from home to go back and replace them + I was doing several emergency jobs) when I got home and filled them up it cost me a whopping $30.00 to fill them both. You tell me what gas engine is going to consume that little amount of fuel!! AND DIESELS ALWAYS HAVE OUT PERFORMED GAS MOTORS WHEN IT COMES TO PULLING, LOW FUEL COMSUMPTION, POWER, EXT!!!!

BTW Stop complainingabout how high your prices are. Thats your problem not his or mine. Your dollar isn't our dollar get over it.

Gravel Rat
07-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Our diesel per gallon is 4.03 CND or in yanke bucks 3.55 a gallon. To buy a new truck the diesel option is 7000 dollars CND or 6153.00 american.

Most F-450 and F-550 trucks are only good for 340,000kms (211,276 miles) after that they cost you big time to repair.

There is a big difference between diesel equipement and diesel P/U trucks.

To give you a example how frigging spoiled you Amercians are with frigging dirt cheap auto parts a CPS for my 7.3 list price is 347 dollars from the Ford dealer. My lift pump for the 7.3 was 250 dollars. To repair a 6.0 or Duramax your looking at big money. To change the injectors in a 6.0 your looking at minimum 5000 dollars.

You yankee's don't know what frigging expensive is. For us it would be cheaper to buy a truck in the US and import it here than it is to buy the same truck here. The only problem is the paper work is horrendous so it makes it not worth it.

The 6.0 trucks in this area pulling the 10% grades we have here are only seeing 10-11mpg. You probably never seen steep grades we have some roads with 12% grades.

Oh ya I probably been in trucking much longer than you have dads been at it for 35 years I have been at it for 14 years. I have been around heavy industry since I was 5 years old when dad would take me along when running cranes and trucks.

How big are the trees you work with some of the ones I have fell were in the 48" diameter mark. Been running saws for 15 years dad started me on a 051 Stihl with a 38" bar bucking I was 15 years old.

One contractor I work for time to runs 3000 imperial gallon fuel trucks for the operation each truck costs 11,000 dollars to fill up runs 3 trucks like that each truck lasts 2 weeks.

If you really think its cheaper to run a diesel light truck nowwadays you would have to give your head a shake. The new Class 08 trucks will be a total disaster the owner operators I know said trucking is going to cost alot more.

jazak
07-22-2006, 09:53 PM
I have been in business since 1985. If parts are so expensive and it so expensive to live there then move here. :usflag: The trees you have taken down, where they by chance located between two, two story houses that where only 40' apart from each other? I have many of times and have also taken down stuff even harder OK so I got you beat there. I don't want to start one of those I'm better then you p!ssing contests. I'm just saying that diesel is the way to go if you are using it for work and constantly pulling equipment. Especaily when you leave equipment running. If the stuff was gas that I was using you could triple my cost of fuel but since diesel burns slower it only cost me $30 instead of $90-$130. For me its diesel becuase for me it works for you it doesn't but McKeeland live in :usflag: so these HIGH prices you are paying where you live is not relivant to him or me. For you its gas becuase for you its cheaper but here its diesel because its cheaper OK.

Gravel Rat
07-22-2006, 10:19 PM
You guys make more money than most of us because the US economy.

Oh ya I wasn't bashing arborists like you as you guys have some tough jobs that bush fallers won't touch. I would rather drop a 48" diameter tree 150' tall in the woods than trying to get a snarled up old tree beside a house down I have been there never again.

My point with a diesel engine in light trucks are not worth it anymore is they don't get the real good fuel mileage, you can barely work on the new engines, everything now is dealer work so your reamed up the bum hole. We are lucky to get 4 reliable years out a new truck now usually in the first year the truck needs front end work and brakes. Trucks here burn up tires every 6-8 months my Michelins have 10,000km (6200 miles) on them and they are down to 45% tread left.

The salt air from the West Coast rusts vehicals just as bad as road salt. In combination with the 240 days of rain we see a year it adds to the rust.

We have done the figures it costs any contractor here to own the truck for 6 years before the diesel option pays for itself. After 4 years the truck has to go its nickle and diming you to death.

Mike33
07-23-2006, 12:19 AM
Don't want to get into what truck is better BS. But I can tell you that this is the last yr for the 6 liter power stroke according to the dealer. Ford has had to many problems with it and its being replaced with a 6.4 diesel.
The 6.4 will not be released until 2008
Mike

TierOneLawnCare
07-23-2006, 01:24 AM
Actually, possable later then 08, if they can get it to stay on the dyno longer then 24 hrs.....Was told a lcf school in atlanta....6.4l as of right now is a sore subject for our zone rep

Scag48
07-23-2006, 05:58 AM
I'm holding on to my 7.3 for dear life, 77K miles and I'll rebuild it 5 times if the rest of the truck holds up. Ford commercial trucks died after the 7.3 did.

olderthandirt
07-23-2006, 08:54 AM
The 6.4 will not be released until 2008
Mike

Right the 2007 are already at the dealers so next yr. is 2008

Gravel Rat
07-23-2006, 03:19 PM
It is why I'am searching so friggin hard to find a low kilometerage F-450 or F-550 with the 7.3 PSD no way I will be buying a oh no 6.0 .

The 6.0 Ford is just as bad as the disaster GM had with the 6.5s they were bad engines too probably not as bad as the 6.0 but close to it.

It is why I meantioned the Hino earlier they are reliable and cheap on fuel its cheaper to spend money on a brake job ever 2 years and make money with the truck than having the truck spend 50% of its life at the dealer.

McKeeLand
07-27-2006, 11:43 PM
Well i finally got to test drive a new F550 this week. The turning radius is much tighter than the 4500/5500. I'm pretty sure i'm going with the ford, just cant give them up. The 6.0 and the torqshift are so smooth its hard to pass on them. Plus the Fords are just simple a sharper looking truck, and to me that count a lot too. Now i just have to find the truck i want. Apparently there are shortages on 06 because of a production issue this year. It's going to be tough, but i hope i can find one in a 06. They have some great financing and rebates.

Gravel Rat
07-28-2006, 12:08 AM
Make sure you have the upgraded front springs I really don't like coil springs they just don't carry a load as nice as leaf springs. The reason why the steering radius is better is the new radius arm suspension a flash back to the 70s when Ford used the radius arm mono beam front axle with coil springs on the old F-150s.

You said you have owned a F-Superduty so you know how well those trucks turn I'am on my 3rd they don't steer very sharp. My trucks are all the 161wb with 12' decks.

AtoZ
07-28-2006, 12:28 AM
I own a 2003 F-550 with the 6.0 and 201" wb with a 14 foot dump box. Hands down the best light duty dump truck I have ever owned... Looked at a 5500 but like the Ford better. The 6.0 is actually a good motor, but the 6.0 is a great motor in the International medium duty trucks. I am currently looking at a 2006 International 4100 with the VT 365 aka 6.0. If I spring for $4,000 more I can buy an inline 6 International dt466 with 300 horsepower and 900 lbs of Torque... Total cost with a 14' pto dump $55,000 to $60,000....

AtoZ
07-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Do yourself a favor - don't limit yourself to the big three. International, Freightliner, Peterbilt, Kenworth, Mack, UD - all make great medium to heavy duty trucks... Just find one you like.

Scag48
07-28-2006, 12:59 AM
International's medium duty dumps are excellent, I have days where I'd trade 2 of our trucks for 1 4700 with a 5 yard dump.

Travel'n Trees
07-28-2006, 08:11 AM
The 6.0 super duties has more Tsd's than anything else ever produced.

notoriousDUG
07-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Keep in mind many of the 6.0 issues went away when they let international go back to programing the motors and they got rid of the throttle body.

They are not as pronlematic an engine as they have the reputation for being, the first year and a half was bad.

TierOneLawnCare
07-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Like I said, head gaskets,Injectors, Pcm's, Major High pressure oil pump issues
and the list goes on......1 out of 10 are decent trucks.....If you go with ford, inless you are the 1 out of 10, you will regret it

notoriousDUG
07-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Like I said, head gaskets,Injectors, Pcm's, Major High pressure oil pump issues
and the list goes on......1 out of 10 are decent trucks.....If you go with ford, inless you are the 1 out of 10, you will regret it

Well some other guy must have gotten SCREWED thenbecause we have about 10 of them and every single one has been trouble free engine wise. Our inly issues have been one bad caliper and a couple of bad speedos.