PDA

View Full Version : Tell me which would be better for me, PLEASE.

tkcrabby
07-20-2006, 03:47 PM
First please keep in mind that I need to keep the cost down as much as possible, BUT I started with the idea of spending a maximum of $3200 or so and now I guess I'm up to a Max of $4500 or so,,,, here's the choice's as of this posting:

1. Dixon Ram 50" cut with 25 hp Briggs twin $4,170
2. Dixon Ram Mag 50" cut with 20 hp Kohler twin $4,450
3. eXmark Lazer Z ct 48" cut with 18 hp Briggs twin $5,100
4. Hustler Fas Trak 52" cut with 20 hp Kohler twin $4,500
5. Bush Hog Estate Series 52" cut with 20 hp Kohler $4,700

I didn't want to spend this much BUT if it will ensure that I get a mower that WILL last a long LONG time I'll do it. The Dixon dealer is by far the closest to me at 10 miles with the others being 35-45 miles away,,,,, and the Dixon dealer is a very good guy to deal with ,,,,,,, I know this is very important but I want to make sure I get a good machine to,,,,,,,, Which will most likely give me the best service and for how long? It's only be mowing an acre and a half, it's sort of rough though................

Brendan Smith
07-20-2006, 04:37 PM
i've never driven a dixon, but the couple of hustlers i have borrowed/test driven were awesome. they were super z's though. their customer support is supposed to be second to none. i have heard of others here using dixon, some said good things, others bad, but i think dealer support, while certainly important, is probably not AS critical for the homeowner as it is to lco's (being down for 2-3 days isn't going to take bread off your table as a homeowner, although it still isn't fun). if they will let you, demo all three and make your choice based on YOUR experience and the feelings you get from your dealer. good luck.

dvmcmrhp52
07-20-2006, 05:19 PM
The Exmark is the only one you've listed that has wheel motors rather than being hydrostatic...........

Otherwise I'd probably tell you to go with the Hustler next in line........

tkcrabby
07-20-2006, 05:31 PM
"if they will let you, demo all three and make your choice based on YOUR experience and the feelings you get from your dealer."

The eXmark dealer has no grass anywhere even remotely close to him and he wouldn't get out of his chair to go out and talk with me about the Lazer Z ct,,,,,,,, didn't really act like he cared if he sold it or not , and it was a 2005 model,,,,,,,,,, he's most likely the worst dealer of the bunch,, it's a shame to because I really would like to try it out and get together with him (or another eXmark dealer) on the price. I've got an email into the Hustler/Bush Hog dealer (same place),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I haven't been able to find much at all about the Bush Hog ZTR BUT I have found a lot about the Hustler's , not a LOT about the Dixon's BUT my neighbor has a Dixon Ram 50 that he got late last year and I've used it twice on my lawn and it's great except for one thing, it really makes some very bad "wind rows" I think that's the right term.
There's a Scag and a Ferris dealer who's a great guy I've known for years but his best price on a comparable cut size & hp model of Scag and Ferris are $5995 on each, I know they're both great machines BUT they are way out of my ability to pay for,, so I have to chose between the models I listed above.

tkcrabby
07-20-2006, 05:34 PM
"The Exmark is the only one you've listed that has wheel motors rather than being hydrostatic"

I know, that's the reason I'm hoping to find another eXmark dealer close enough to me that I could get one through him instead of this deadbeat dealer here,,,,,,,,,,, otherwise I am looking hard towards the hustler,,,,, thanks for your reply!

steve45
07-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Buy a used commercial mower.

newz7151
07-20-2006, 07:37 PM
There's a Scag and a Ferris dealer who's a great guy I've known for years but his best price on a comparable cut size & hp model of Scag and Ferris are $5995 on each, I know they're both great machines BUT they are way out of my ability to pay for,, so I have to chose between the models I listed above.

How's your credit? Perhaps the better units would be more affordable to you if spread out over time instead of all at once ? I've heard a rumor that one of the brands you mentioned may be coming out with a homeowner minded unit sometime in the fall of this year.. (but as with a few recent announcements from that company.. don't hold your breath too long)

tkcrabby
07-20-2006, 11:29 PM
"How's your credit? Perhaps the better units would be more affordable to you if spread out over time instead of all at once ? " It's fine, in fact I'm going to be using it when I buy,,,,,,, BUT I need to keep the payment amount down and the length of the loan down as short as is doable

"I've heard a rumor that one of the brands you mentioned may be coming out with a homeowner minded unit sometime in the fall of this year.. (but as with a few recent announcements from that company.. don't hold your breath too long)"
Really, which one?

DodgeTruckMan731
07-20-2006, 11:38 PM
i would reccomend staying away from dixon, hustler has a supurb warrenty on all there equipment, if you wanted somthing a little bit more tought in a commercial model, look at the mini Z you can get one 42/19 which would be a little bit smaller than what your looking for but would be a commercial model, there in your orice range also.

olderthandirt
07-20-2006, 11:56 PM
First please keep in mind that I need to keep the cost down as much as possible, BUT I started with the idea of spending a maximum of $3200 or so and now I guess I'm up to a Max of $4500 or so,,,, here's the choice's as of this posting:

1. Dixon Ram 50" cut with 25 hp Briggs twin $4,170
2. Dixon Ram Mag 50" cut with 20 hp Kohler twin $4,450
3. eXmark Lazer Z ct 48" cut with 18 hp Briggs twin $5,100
4. Hustler Fas Trak 52" cut with 20 hp Kohler twin $4,500
5. Bush Hog Estate Series 52" cut with 20 hp Kohler $4,700

I didn't want to spend this much BUT if it will ensure that I get a mower that WILL last a long LONG time I'll do it. The Dixon dealer is by far the closest to me at 10 miles with the others being 35-45 miles away,,,,, and the Dixon dealer is a very good guy to deal with ,,,,,,, I know this is very important but I want to make sure I get a good machine to,,,,,,,, Which will most likely give me the best service and for how long? It's only be mowing an acre and a half, it's sort of rough though................

Tell me how much are you mowing? is the ground smooth or rough, are there many obstacles do you intend to use the mower for anything besides mowing. Are you competent and will you keep up with all scheduled maintenance?
To broad a question with out knowing the particles as I asked.

tkcrabby
07-21-2006, 06:31 AM
Q. How much are you mowing?
A. 1.5 Acres
Q. Is the ground smooth or rough?
A. About half is fairly smooth BUT the rest is on the rough side for sure.
Q. Are there many obstacles?
A. 5 pine trees, 4 maples, two dog houses & a 24' above ground swimming pool.
Q. Do you intend to use the mower for anything besides mowing?
A. No sir
Q. Are you competent?
A. Fairly,,,,,,, I'm no mechanic but I do OK with changing belts and oil, don't ask me to rebuild an engine or trans though.
Q. And will you keep up with all scheduled maintenance?
A. YES.

nmurph
07-21-2006, 09:01 AM
i own a hustler mini fasttrak 17/42. it is an awsome little machine. great cut, super maneuverable, and it only weighs 572 lbs so it is easy on the turf. hustler has the best warranty in the business and their factory support is well above anything else i have ever seen, mowers or otherwise. imo i don't think the average homeowner should get too caught up in the wheel motor vs individual pumps and motors. my mft will cut your 1.5 acres in about an hour. if you figure that you will make about 30 cuts per year, then you will only put 600 hrs in 20 yrs. by then you will be ready for another machine, anyway. fyi, hydro gear ezt/izt pump motors cost $400-500. not that bad if you need to replace one 10 years down the road.
go to the hustler forum and read. notice how promptly the issues that do crop-up are resolved.

Lumberjack
07-21-2006, 09:45 AM
[QUOTE=tkcrabby]Q. How much are you mowing?
A. 1.5 Acres
Q. Is the ground smooth or rough?
A. About half is fairly smooth BUT the rest is on the rough side for sure.
QUOTE]

Well theres a red flag, Z mowers dont do well over rough stuff...Your call but Id consider the other options as well. a used hydro walkbehind with a velke/sulky might serve you a bit better and cost a lot less. Steep slope are also an area where Z mowers dont do well... At 5 grand a pop Id steer clear of a dealer that isnt gonna give you the time of day.

tkcrabby
07-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Well theres a red flag, Z mowers dont do well over rough stuff...Your call but Id consider the other options as well. a used hydro walkbehind with a velke/sulky might serve you a bit better and cost a lot less. Steep slope are also an area where Z mowers dont do well... At 5 grand a pop Id steer clear of a dealer that isnt gonna give you the time of day.

The rough ground is not bad bad , just a little rough,,,,,,,, it's mostly where some of my lateral lines for my septic system have settled some, other than that it's fairly smooth.

As far as the dealer,,,,, I don't see myself buying from him BUT if I can find another eXmark dealer close by I very well might.

As far as the pump/wheel motor thing I've been thinking about this, since I'm NOT going to use this mower to make money using it for a bunch of customers each week like most of you guys I think I'd be find going with the cheaper integrated hydros. How ever IF I were to find a true commercial machine for about the same cash as a homeowner model I'd get it.

CletusT
08-03-2006, 10:29 AM
This may sound like a stupid question, but do you have a 1.5 acre lot, or 1.5 acres of grass? My lot is like 1.7 acres but only 1.25 of grass. I'm cutting my lot with a Toro Timecutter zx480. You didn't mention Toro, so you may not have a dealer near by. If you do, check them out, because the ZX series is a little cheaper and is definitely tough enough for the job. I also checked out the mini-fastrak, and have to say that I would have no problems whatsoever with purchasing a Hustler. The decider for me was that the Toro dealer is 3 blocks away and will pick it up and deliver it back for me if I ever have a problem.

My yard is pretty rough. It's a new yard that was established by seed, and the builder didn't do a really great job on some of the grading in the back yard. The zero turn handles the rough stuff fine, even when I'm using it as a bushhog. It even cut a 1" piece of pipe nearly in half with no damage that I or the dealer could find. I have a decent sized hill that it cuts very well as long as you cut UP the hill. You do NOT want to cut going down.

One thing - Get the biggest deck that works for your yard. The extra trim edge makes a big difference.

KLSU
08-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Sorry should have been on main page.

tkcrabby
08-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Hi CletusT,
Q. "This may sound like a stupid question, but do you have a 1.5 acre lot, or 1.5 acres of grass?"
A. My lot is 1.5 acres, the house w/ attached garage is 30' w X 80' L w/ walkout basement at the back, there's a 24' above ground pool, a swing set, to plastic play sets (for toddlers) 16' X 30 deck off the upper floor.

"One thing - Get the biggest deck that works for your yard. The extra trim edge makes a big difference."
I bought the 50" Dixon Ran 50 Mag, did the lawn in 1 hour and that's including showing my son how to use it and then letting him finish up in the back yard. I've known the dealer a long time and he's VERY well respected in this area,,,, he told me "I'll take care of you",,,, IF I didn't already know him I'd be thinking' " sure, you just want to sell the Machine to me and you're willing to say anything" BUT I do know him and and I really believe he will take care of me on this mower...........

CletusT
08-04-2006, 08:50 AM
I think you'll be happy with that choice. For the most part, all of the commercial mowers out there will cut grass. The dealer support is where you get your money's worth. Enjoy the zero turn, it makes cutting grass fun again.

nmurph
08-04-2006, 10:41 AM
congrats on the new mower. now you will have another problem, how to keep the kid off of it!! the yard is where i go for some solitude. it use to be fast cars. now i like to see how fast i can cut the yard!

tkcrabby
08-04-2006, 02:42 PM
"now you will have another problem, how to keep the kid off of it!!"

You're right!, I can see that coming for sure, I left about a 30X50 spot (maybe a little bigger) for him to mow with the Dixon and he loved it, it was the first time he ever operated a rider of any type and he asked after wards,,,,,,, "Dad, can you leave a little bigger spot for me to mow next time",,,,,,,,,,,, I told him,, "we'll see son, we'll see" :)