PDA

View Full Version : My Plan

BobCat#1
07-21-2006, 01:50 AM
for my lawn,i wanted to see what you guys thought.I sent off a soil test so i don't know what type of fertilizer i'm going to use yet so here it is.September-aerate,overseed,thinking of using pennington kentucky 31 seed,Fertilize.Febuary-aerate,ortho weed be gone,fertilize.July-mid summer fertilizer.Well what do you think?Thanks guys for your help on here,i just want a weed free,Dark green, lush lawn.

lawnspecialties
07-22-2006, 12:19 AM
Not bad there. Just my two cents here.

1: Ky. 31 is OK but I'd prefer a good tall-fescue transitional blend.
2: If you must fertilize in mid-summer, make sure the nitrogen (the first number) is low. I'd go no higher than 5.
3: Instead of Weed-B-Gone, get a fertilizer with a pre-emergence herbicide. February is a good time, though.

BobCat#1
07-22-2006, 12:23 AM
Does pennington make a tall fescue?and a fertilizer with weed control?Thanks

lawnspecialties
07-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Does pennington make a tall fescue?and a fertilizer with weed control?Thanks

Yes, actually Ky. 31 is a tall-fescue. But if you get a good transitional blend, you usually get better results and better disease resistance. If one variety is more susceptible to a disease or stress, the others can fill in the gaps. Pennington should have some at Home Depot or Lowe's. Also, check the Lesco brand.

Just about everybody makes a fertilizer with weed-control. Both "weed-n-feed" and pre-emergence.:)