PDA

View Full Version : Truck mounted aux. fuel tanks

POPO4995
07-21-2006, 08:16 PM
I was pondering the thought of purchasing an Auxiliary Fuel Tank to put in front of my toolbox on my truck. Does anyone else have this or have any comments on doing this? I thought it might come in handy and cut down on trips to the gas station. Thanks for any input.:)

AintNoFun
07-21-2006, 08:58 PM
i have a 110 gallon diesel tank in the back of one of our trucks. I get it filled with offroad fuel to fill up the skidsteer, hydroseeder, etc..

Scag48
07-22-2006, 03:10 AM
I have a 100 gallon transfer on my truck as well, only mine is just the big rectangular tank as my truck is a flatbed. I see tons of guys running those "L" tanks under their toolboxes, seems like the way to go if you have an actual pickup. Just remember, these tanks are rated for diesel only and when you install the pump spend the money and get a Goldenrod filter, money well spent.

Let-it-mow!
07-22-2006, 09:42 AM
I was intererested in one for gasoline. I did some investigationg and found out that the tanks were over $1200 and that special DOT permits and inspections were required and that there were other electrical modifications that needed to be made to pass the inspections.

Decided 5 gallon can's don't seem so bad afterall.

Mike33
07-23-2006, 12:16 AM
I have now a 55 gal L shape and my tool box fits over. I did have a 105 something like that size in my 00 250 8' bed. However in 03 i bought new 350 exr. cab with short bed and my tank would not fit in the damn bed , it hit the hump. So i had to get a 55 gal. that would fit the truck. It sure comes in handy to carry diesel fuel for bobcat. When i first started out i carried 5 gal jugs that was a pain inm the ass.
Mike

Scag48
07-23-2006, 05:56 AM
tanks were over $1200 and that special DOT permits and inspections were required

Decided 5 gallon can's don't seem so bad afterall.

Totally not worth it for gas. I have seen, however, gravity feed tanks on Northerntool that have the hose inlet mounted at the bottom on the tank and as long as whatever you're filling is below the tank it'll flow pretty well. I want to say they're about 15-20 gallons or so and are only a couple hundred bucks at the most. Might be worth looking into.

grass_cuttin_fool
07-23-2006, 07:30 AM
Totally not worth it for gas. I have seen, however, gravity feed tanks on Northerntool that have the hose inlet mounted at the bottom on the tank and as long as whatever you're filling is below the tank it'll flow pretty well. I want to say they're about 15-20 gallons or so and are only a couple hundred bucks at the most. Might be worth looking into.

Here is a link to the 15 gallon tank, 100 bux, and the 10 gallon tank is about 70 bux
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200317034_200317034

wayne

JCP Crafts
07-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Here is a link to the 15 gallon tank, 100 bux, and the 10 gallon tank is about 70 bux
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200317034_200317034

wayne
Wayne...I am not sure but it says UN/DOT .....that would be non conforming would it not ? Does anyone know for sure ...usually things are more clear like DOT appoved or not DOT approved...if anyone purchases this they may want to check with Northern 1st if they are planning on bolting it to there truck or trailer.I love it though and would love to have one or two bolted to a trailer if there is a way to lock the gas caps.....

JCP Crafts
07-23-2006, 04:47 PM
correction...it says UN/DOT compliant...does the UN stand for United Nations....That is what is throwing me off...maybe somone else can set me straight....I believe it can be bolted to a trailer or truck.....that,s not a bad price considering it comes with a nozzle and all be like your own mini gas station.....

grass_cuttin_fool
07-23-2006, 04:47 PM
Im not sure what the UN means, Im thinking its approved but I may be wrong. I dont have any proof that it is though

ok I did a search for un/dot on yahoo search, Im still not sure what UN is, but it seems to be a set of guidlines or something that is related or close to a DOT requirement. Im thinking its going to be a certified container for transporting gas, someone may still want to check with local officals to be sure though

wayne

Scag48
07-24-2006, 03:14 AM
It says it's designed to be bolted to a trailer, deductive reasoning tells me it's more than likely DOT compliant. Besides, it's a monster steel tank with only 15 gallons in it. There's lunatics running around with 4-5, 5 gallon plastic cans in the back of their trucks. Somehow, I think 1 steel tank is safer.:rolleyes: