PDA

View Full Version : Trimming

zero_turn_freak
07-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Do you trim before or after you mow?

Shuter
07-22-2006, 07:02 PM
If alone, after. If I have a laborer with me, then during, but I make a pass with the mower around the edge after.

Critical Care
07-23-2006, 12:04 PM
I hardly ever trim first, however there are exceptions. One exception to the rule is when there are items or obstacles in the grass that I don’t want to hit with the mower.

POPO4995
07-23-2006, 12:50 PM
Usually during or after but it is nice to trim before sometimes. IE: I just trimmed before we cut at a condo association the other day and it looked great when done because sometimes you get that little line of cut grass behind the trimmer when its long and that looks terrible IMO.

lyontlc
07-25-2006, 03:59 PM
I like to trim first so there is a perfect edge without debris afterward...

KS_Grasscutter
07-25-2006, 09:23 PM
If the grass is real tall, i will trim before so the mower picks it up, but if it is short I trim after i mow so i am sure to get all of it trimmed. I usually like to edge before i mow all the time so the mower sucks up the dirt and clippings from that.

Critical Care
07-25-2006, 10:45 PM
Just thinking about this... Mowing up the grass clippings makes sense. On the other hand, I've seen guys trim first but trim the grass down lower than the mower's cutting height. When that happens, things look weird - like the grass has a frame around it.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
07-26-2006, 08:37 AM
I trim first. I use a ryobi split shaft and turn it sideways. I have a couple echos, but like the ryobi better! With the shaft turned, I can get a great,"sharp", edge without using the edger.