PDA

View Full Version : drainage problem

Redbear
07-23-2006, 01:43 PM
I have a site that seems to hold a lot of water. I'll paint the picture. Low spot in the backyard and I would have to route the water about 60 feet to get it out to the front of the house and that would be between it and the neighboring house which is about 6 feet apart from each other. Going out the back of the yard is difficult because it is uphill the whole way with a berm which acts as a noise barrier to the street behind the house. In the particular area of concern I dug a hole 2x2 and filled with water just to see how it would drain, thinking that a dry well may help relieve the area. Three days later and it is not draining a bit. Soil is heavy, heavy clay so I don't see a dry well or even a bigger hole accomplishing much. I'm really not familiar with many drainage systems or products but I am sure there must be something out there to help. Any ideas or sites anyone can point me to. Thanks.

D Felix
07-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Short of trenching in a drain line, is there any way you can cut and fill to create a drainage swale from the low spot out to the front?

Without seeing the site, it might be possible to raise the grade of the low spot enough to help get it out of a swale that is cut. The swale wouldn't need to be deep, just enough to get water to run in....

paponte
07-23-2006, 09:51 PM
Dig son... dig! I would think you are going to have to dig alot deeper than 2' in order to hit substantial soil that will drain well. If you are digging and cannot reach a feasible depth in order to establish a dry well, the only other option would be to divert the water elsewhere via grade or drain.

DVS Hardscaper
07-24-2006, 07:32 AM
There possibly could be a few different methods.

One thing to remember is - WATER FLOWS DOWN HILL!

What is really needed is pictures.

Mike33
07-25-2006, 09:06 PM
I agree, you must re route it. Crap runs down hill even though a lot of people try the other way. You have to deal with it and get rid off it, it will not go away on its own. Dig, stone, and pipe.
Mike