PDA

View Full Version : Trimming.. Or Trim and Edge??

Landscape89
07-24-2006, 01:08 AM
I see some landscaper who after they mow they use the String Trimmer. Most of them Trim the Grass and then go back and flip the Trimmer over and edge with it. However, Some of them just do the Trimming. I fall under the Trim and Edge type.. Every maintenance job I do. Do you guys think Lawn Maintenance Should include just Trimming or Trimming and Edging??

-SH

QualityLawnCare4u
07-24-2006, 01:14 AM
I cut a good edge with the edger then maintain it with the weedwhacker turned at an angle. After awhile it will need to be edged again with the edger. I can usually go 3 or 4 times with the weedeater before it needs the edger again. I have some client though that want the edger used every time and some dont care as long as it looks decent.

lawnmaniac883
07-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Are you talking about maintaning the edge of sidewalk/grass or the edge of grass/flowerbeds? I do both if my customers have a flower bed with no border.

Always use the stick edger on sidewalk/grass edges even if it really doesnt need it. I will also trim the edges of flowerbeds and use the trimmer to edge them every other week.

Brendan Smith
07-24-2006, 01:39 PM
i use a stick edger instead of turning the trimmer on it's side. it's faster and doesn't shoot rocks up your nose.

D & J Lawn Care
07-24-2006, 09:21 PM
i always get customers who's biggest complaint is that their old guy used the string trimmer to edge they believe that it burns the grass

natco
07-25-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm new in the business, so here is maybe a silly question: For you guys who use an edger on the sidewalks every so often (or weekly), are you charging the customer extra? I have it in my pricing to charge extra if I edge, but under normal weekly maintenance, I just trim it with the trimmer and it is then just part of my lawn cut charge.

TLS
07-25-2006, 12:07 PM
I edge all concrete edges with a stick edger, every visit.

I trim all bed, obstacle, and asphalt edges with a string trimmer, every visit.

It's all included in the price, and I won't NOT do it for a lower price.

fiveoboy01
07-25-2006, 07:16 PM

Same here. It's nothing to run the edger along a concrete surface edge every other week and it keeps it looking great.

If there is a lot of overgrowth, it's more of a PITA and more time consuming to edge, so I'll charge the customer for the initial edge, but no extra charge to maintain it.

RedWolf
07-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Same here.I will charge if it looks like it has not been done in years but after that it part of my price.

Pro-Scapes
07-26-2006, 03:12 PM
i always get customers who's biggest complaint is that their old guy used the string trimmer to edge they believe that it burns the grass

Its not nearly as clean. I have tried both ways and used a trimmer when my edger broke down in mid day. Not near as fast and not near as clean.

I have seen guys edge with a trimmer where the edge is darn near 2 inches from the concrete. Looks like crap and there is always clover and other weeds growing up in it.

If you price your jobs accordingly there should be no issue about time to walk back to the truck and get an edger.

Mrk'sLawn
07-26-2006, 03:22 PM
i use a stick edger instead of turning the trimmer on it's side. it's faster and doesn't shoot rocks up your nose.

Got it in the nose today!:cry: Bled too..

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
07-27-2006, 08:39 AM
I use my ryobi split shaft turned sideways to edge ....it looks great...Ive had other landscapers tell me it looks like I use an edger

Groomer
07-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Get a Tanaka edger for walks, drives, and beds. Yes, this sweetlittle machine will redefine beds as well. I edge the walks and drives every other cut, price included. Beds are extra.

martinfan06
07-29-2006, 12:46 PM

I agree thats the best way.

LONEMAN
08-15-2006, 11:33 PM
I've always used a string trimmer to edge, and have never used an edger. I usually edge every other week and try to just cut the weeds or overgrowth without removing too much soil. I agree that edging over two inches away from the curb looks like crap! :hammerhead:

jbjb
08-16-2006, 09:13 AM
I edge with an edger every 3-4 weeks and flip the string trimmer over every week to keep it clean. Seems to work well.

If you don't pay attention, you can easily screw up with string trimmer --> resulting in taking too much grass and looking like a 'burn' mark. You have to be good with a string trimmer to make sure you only edge with it and not cut too deep into the grass --> the edger works better if you have a newer crew.

lawnpro724
08-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Ok. I have to ask. How long have you guys been in busn? I have been in the Commercial landscaping busn. for over 15 yr with very satisfied customer base. Time is $$$$$$$$$$ so your telling me you spend alot of extra time trimming then edging, I dont know any busn. around here that does that. I edge around sidewalks and driveways in spring or early summer to get things looking good and trim rest of the season for maintnance if you edge right the first time trimming should be sufficient for rest of season. And yes, edging is an extra charge! I'm not putting anyone down for what they do but after all we are in the busn. to make $ arn't we?

Idealtim
08-18-2006, 09:20 PM
I only use the trimmer as an edger if there is a place that really looks like it needs it.

Waterscapes By Design
08-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Thats kinda weird to me, I see guys out and about with the trimmer flipped upside down and just wonder what the heck they are doing......The time that takes, and how steady your hand has to be just makes no sense to risk cutting a gouge in someones yard. Not only that, but you can walk with a edger and get a beautiful edge, but with the trimmer, if you are actually in a stride you bounce your hand and possibly mess up. And the length of your line changes from yard to yard no matter what, so "having a steady hand" doesnt really matter either cuz ya still have to adjust to length of the line......

I dunno, it seems to me that to be able to walk non stop is a LOT quicker than having to side-step and keep a very steady hand.....EDGER fer me! :walking:

MowerMoney
08-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Ok. I have to ask. How long have you guys been in busn? I have been in the Commercial landscaping busn. for over 15 yr with very satisfied customer base. Time is $$$$$$$$$$ so your telling me you spend alot of extra time trimming then edging, I dont know any busn. around here that does that. I edge around sidewalks and driveways in spring or early summer to get things looking good and trim rest of the season for maintnance if you edge right the first time trimming should be sufficient for rest of season. And yes, edging is an extra charge! I'm not putting anyone down for what they do but after all we are in the busn. to make $ arn't we?

Same here. In fact, I've never seen any LCO around here using an edger. Mow, trim, blow & go. :canadaflag:

ACutAbovesiny
09-09-2006, 12:02 AM
I see some landscaper who after they mow they use the String Trimmer. Most of them Trim the Grass and then go back and flip the Trimmer over and edge with it. However, Some of them just do the Trimming. I fall under the Trim and Edge type.. Every maintenance job I do. Do you guys think Lawn Maintenance Should include just Trimming or Trimming and Edging??

-SH

Always edge...it gives such a clean look. Not to mention that if you keep up with the edging it never gets real bad.

JD Mowers and Lawn Care
05-15-2007, 11:45 PM
Same here. In fact, I've never seen any LCO around here using an edger. Mow, trim, blow & go. :canadaflag:

Agreed. Think about it, how many of you can make a better hamburger then McDonalds? Basicly anyone. So why is McDonalds so great? They have a simple depndable system that delivers a product profitably every time. My opinion, mow a lawn like a profitable qaurter pounder and maybe I'll end up with as much business as McDOnalds.

So, I agree with- Mow, trim, blow & go. But I would change one thing. I trim first. Trim, Mow, Blow & Go. That way the mowers pick up any longer clippings.

GLLawns
05-16-2007, 02:25 PM
I've always used a stick edger on my accounts. I think it looks so much cleaner and high class. There is an exception though, on the ones with the asphalt driveways I use the trimmer cause the asphalt is usually brittle and tends to come apart if the blade happens to nick it.

fiveoboy01
05-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Agreed. Think about it, how many of you can make a better hamburger then McDonalds? Basicly anyone. So why is McDonalds so great? They have a simple depndable system that delivers a product profitably every time. My opinion, mow a lawn like a profitable qaurter pounder and maybe I'll end up with as much business as McDOnalds.

So, I agree with- Mow, trim, blow & go. But I would change one thing. I trim first. Trim, Mow, Blow & Go. That way the mowers pick up any longer clippings.

Apples to oranges.

You're nowhere near as productive as a single mcdonald's restaraunt. You wouldn't be able to handle that sort of volume on the same scale.

And McD's isn't exactly what I'd call "quality" food. Not to mention that in some instances their customer service skills(read - stupid teens) are less than desirable, and I've had more orders screwed up than I care to count.

I'd rather not compare my service to that of McDonald's...

Pay a little more, get a little more.

YB Legal
05-17-2007, 03:20 AM
i edge concrete with my edger, then edge flower beds with my trimmer. unless im doing a school with "miles" of curbing then i usually just knock back the places that he mower misses. but on those i try to keep them sprayed to where the mower gets everything to cut down on time. residences, get the edger and the trimmer. just looks cleaner, i try to cut everyones lawn as if i was doing my own, usually get lots of kudo points for the trim work that way

RICHIE K
05-17-2007, 06:54 AM
We trim and edge every time, use a stick edger once and a while most of the time just the wacker

BQLC
05-17-2007, 10:34 AM
the edger just makes a cleaner cut and is faster. JMO

JD Mowers and Lawn Care
05-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Apples to oranges.

You're nowhere near as productive as a single mcdonald's restaraunt. You wouldn't be able to handle that sort of volume on the same scale.

And McD's isn't exactly what I'd call "quality" food. Not to mention that in some instances their customer service skills(read - stupid teens) are less than desirable, and I've had more orders screwed up than I care to count.

I'd rather not compare my service to that of McDonald's...

Pay a little more, get a little more.

LOL so it's not the hamburgers I'm talking about, it's the system. If i can create a profitable and duplicatable system then I did my job as a business owner. One that can be operated by people (stupid teens) with as little skill as possible. That's my goal.

As far as the quality, I want a decent job that people will buy. Just like McDOnalds. It isn't the best but even you admit you eat there food more "then you care to count".

If I do what I want with this business I personally wont "serve over 1 billion hamburgers" but the people working for me just might. It's all about profitable, duplicatable sytems. Isn't passive income beautiful?

And if you want to read more read "Cashflow Quadrant" you might change your idea of owning a business.

FinerCutslawnCare
05-24-2007, 12:09 AM
I also edge the sidewalks every time i mow, keeps em' looking great and the customers more satisfied that it is included in the service!

topsites
05-24-2007, 02:53 AM
For those customers who like it, I edge about twice / year for +$10, the rest of the season I keep it up with the trimmer.

TMGL&L
05-26-2007, 02:44 AM
I edge and trim every time with a line trimmer
Quick question, I'm just starting my business, how do you guys go about trimming bed edges. I Currently use an Echo wacker which gives a clean manicured look to the beds. My problem is that grass clippings get into the beds which defeats the purpose of trying to make it look good. I bag all my grass already with my honda walk behind so that doesn't help any.

APV's Mowing
05-27-2007, 02:31 AM
i just use the string trimmer to edge and then if they want a real edge ill do it for a charge then maintain it with my reg. price

TMGL&L
05-27-2007, 10:00 AM
The kind of beds I'm talking about already have been edged 2-3 inches with a bed shaper. If I put one side of the mower into the bed then it scalps the grass along the edge. I tried turning the wacker on the side and edging the beds just like sidewalks and driveways but the mess it leaves looks pretty bad.

Daner
05-27-2007, 11:00 AM
I will edge once a year,with the stick edger...then I use the trimmer Flat and upside down....It's a art to do right...or you will make a mess. practice will make you fast and gouge less.
One thing I find tricky to do Is edgeing/trimming gravel driveways.

bntt68
05-28-2007, 09:37 AM
I use my walkbehind edger for the first cutting of the year or a new client. I then use my handheld stick edger every visit. It is figured into the original price. There is NO comparison to edging with a weedwacker compared to using a real edger let alone the safety issues. My customers appreciate this.

RYNOss
05-28-2007, 12:12 PM
It all depends on the type of grass your cutting, if has runners like St. Augustine, them it has to be done weekly. Allot of grasses will only need it every few months. Clarify what you customer expectations are, then price accordingly.

TMGL&L
05-28-2007, 11:49 PM
not sure what kind of grass, all I know is that it grows over the edge of the bed and looks ugly. I have no choice but to wack it.

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-29-2007, 08:05 AM
My stick edger has not come off the trailer since I bought an EDGIT........trim and edge everything in one pass........with one tool. The only thing I don't really like is the added weight.......but the time savings is great......

SangerLawn
08-19-2007, 12:37 AM
??? i have to say i am suprised at the number of you that use a edger? all i use is a weed eater on all of my edging and trimming. i honestly believe that it is faster then a edger however will agree with the other post about shooting rocks up my nose lol.

i believe it depends on who is doing it if it will look good or not. if the lawn has not been edged in years it is going to look like crap the first time and maybe the second. after that i think it looks pretty good.

i use .095 string. how someone puts a gap between a side walk and the lawn that is two inches??? i would have to say he has no or very little experience in edging and should stick with a edger. this string is thinner then the metal of a edger.... there is no reason to have a larger gap with a weed eater then a edger.

in my personal opion. if you are paying someone to work. and you do 10 lawns a day (i hope more then that if they are small). each lawn needs edged and every lawn he has to take a trip back to the truck???? wow.... if you add that up for a week ti could get expensive. it seems like it would be cheaper to teach that employee how to edge correctly with a weed eater!!! not to mention a edger is just one more thing to add on your trailor and one more thing that can get broken or forgotten on a job... no to mention stolen.

if you are having problems keeping weed eater straight try holding lower on the shaft and always go in the direction the string is spinning on the top of the spindle when inverted. dont hold the handle,,, it moves and will cause the weed eater to run threw the lawn.

crazzyrooster
08-26-2007, 08:41 PM
I agree. It is my business good will. Someone sees a less than great job, it gets noted and remembered.

lawnshark2420
10-02-2007, 07:14 PM
I edge every visit, it makes for a cleaner job. Why carry equipment around and not use it ?

Nicdv1
10-02-2007, 07:48 PM
i edge every time with an edger,weed whacker leaves edges looking messy.

bustin88
10-02-2007, 09:26 PM
We always flip the weedwacker and edge everything. Beds, Curbs, Walkways, Driveways... you name it! It makes the job look complete and neat... I couldnt imagine using an edger when you already have the weedwacker in your hands.

haul03486
10-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Wouldnt do it any other way than trim and edge with the string trimmer. But i have 1 customer that wants that deep groove that i can only get with the edger. So "He" bought the edger and i use it on his curb and driveway.

lawn1234
02-29-2008, 06:54 PM
I use a string trimmer to edge.

iand
03-02-2008, 08:03 AM
rarely see anyone with an edger over here most contractors use trimmers and with practice and a bit of thought it can give a pretty good edge .if the edge is 2 inches the person has no idea what there doing

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Since I bought an EDGIT......my edgers hardly ever come off the trailer....

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Since I bought an EDGIT......my edgers hardly ever come off the trailer....

Amen ! EDGIT is a great time and money saving tool.

RGM
03-02-2008, 01:17 PM
I have cut Lawns for more then 20 years all together and I use the walk behind edger if it is needed like for new customers that have really over grown walk edges. The stick edger for first cuts on walks and beds beginning of season but the trimmer for all other cases its just saves time and you learn how to make it work right for you with time.

02DURAMAX
04-16-2008, 02:53 AM
After i trim i turn it over on the beds and do it, but on the sidewalk i use my walkbehind edger..looks much better!

musician/lawnman
05-03-2008, 02:20 PM
I'll run an edger the 1st time or 2 to get it in shape, Then maintain it with a trimmer. Like someone said earlier.... It really is an artform & takes some practice, but once you got it down it's faster. One tool, it's already in your hand & running. I make 1 trip around the homes with a trimmer & trim what needs to be trimmed & edge what needs to be edged, Then 1 trim around with a blower..... DONE & GONE!

Never had any complaints at all. I do find the edge line will be a little wider with a trimmer (not 2 inches but wider than an edger line) but I find it grows so fast here for 6-7 months of the year that just using an edger looks good for only about 2 days (I won't be back for 7) the trimmer leaving a little wider gap keeps it in check til I return.

Beau Rivage
08-22-2008, 09:37 PM
I use a stick edger for sidewalks and driveways and a line trimmer for everything else the mower missed.

monro
09-23-2008, 06:11 PM
edger for edging weedeater for weedeating

dura to the max
09-30-2008, 12:50 AM
i fall in the 2nd category, trim then flip it and edge simultaneously.

STIHL GUY
10-02-2008, 11:28 PM
trimming and edging always looks nice

SpEnt
10-06-2008, 01:58 AM
it all depends where you are from...im from central fl and edger is required for all of my 80+ accounts and on a weekly basis...there is no comparison between a weedeater and a edger..

OrangeToys
11-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Get a Tanaka edger for walks, drives, and beds. Yes, this sweetlittle machine will redefine beds as well. I edge the walks and drives every other cut, price included. Beds are extra.

how well do you like the machine i was debating on getting this one or similar, or to get a normal powered edger by sthil or shindiawa.

karlgrooms
11-03-2008, 06:46 PM
I do what ever it takes to make the property look finished and fresh. After a quick look to check, to get limbs, trash, toys etc. up. I know whether or not the edger is needed or if the trimmer will suffice.

STRINGALATION
11-04-2008, 02:01 AM
i have a couple points/questions
1. over time an edger is better than string in my opinion
2. i once read on here a stick edger is for maintaining an edge and not establishing. i had one over grown about 6" and i spaded that sucker then edged it
3. what is everyones thought on asphalt. i had to explain to a cust. that the reason the drive does not look like the curb and sidewalk was that concrete has a definite edge and the asphalt wanders like a river
4. i always felt i could edge but one helper edged for me and now i have a gutter at one of my favorite properties. i'm considering about 5 $1.30 bags of topsoil and filling all of the edge for free over the winter and edge it next year.

DLAWNS
11-04-2008, 08:09 AM
edger for edging weedeater for weedeating

That's the way I do it.