PDA

View Full Version : Snapper Ride On Problem !

mattymax
07-24-2006, 12:36 AM
http://i14.ebayimg.com/04/i/07/bf/f5/79_12.JPG
http://i15.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/cb/8d/ef_1.JPG

Hey guys, just signed up and would like some help. Any help is appreciated.

I have a fairly new Snapper Ride on mower. Its a 10hp lawn mower with the clutch and break in one pedal on the left...I dont know the model number, but Im pretty sure they all disengage and engage all the same within snapper brand....
Ever since we purchased it, the mower has a specific thing it does. Its sort of grindes when you go to stop. Its so bad sometimes that it will kick you forward and you hear a clunk towards the rear of the mower.

When we first got it, we had a place look at it, they adjusted it but its still did it. We lived with it. Recently the clutch wasnt engaging all that well, and we had the clutch replaced, and its doing it really bad now. I brought it to the place I had it done at, and he drove it around and said its normal to hear it "clunking" noise...

Details on the Problem:
When I stop and start with the pedal, and the clutch is inbetween engaging the entire mower with "Clunk" and jult foward. Its really strange. When you stop and say try and get close to a rock wall, the mower will "clunk" so bad, it will kick you into the wall sometimes. Its very strange. The repair guy said it was normal and happens with the clutch is in-between releasing and not.

Any help on this would be great guys. Thanks

-matt

MowerMedic77
07-24-2006, 06:19 AM
First, Hi and welcome to Lawnsite:) Second, Run Forest Run! :laugh: sorry I could not help it since I just purchased the same unit for my father to replace his very old and tired John Deere S92. I can tell you that that is not normal at all the mower did take getting used to I have to admit but a loud clunking I have never heard. The Clutch/Brake Pedal does have to be depressed completely that we found out quickly but at high rpms and in 4th or 5th gear it will snap you back if you let that pedal up to fast but No strange noises. I would not settle for thats normal go back to the dealer and tell him you want to return the mower if the issue can't be fixed and you will purchase another brand from another dealer this will usually get things taken care of for you. Hope this helps:)

Restrorob
07-24-2006, 07:13 AM
Hey Guys, If you check in your operators manual it states to always take of in first gear then shift into higher gears on the fly (clutch pedal out).
Taking off in a higher gear WILL cause all kinds of racket and jerking, These units even though they have a so called smooth clutch system still needs to be engaged in a lower gear (1st). Taking off in a higher gear will cause premature wear and cracks in the rubber drive disc which leads to slippage.
When you get close to a obstacle just pull the shifter back to first gear, When clear push the shifter back up to higher gears.
I bought mine some 8 yrs. ago for mowing a small area where I can't get the unit in my avatar between the trees, It still has the original drive disc in good shape.
As for the grinding noise yes they do make that noise if the clutch is pushed in quickly while in a high gear at high RPM's, The brake is nothing more than a metal pad being applied to the inside of the drive disc hub, Metal to metal braking will make noise but can be reduced if shifted to a lower speed before braking.

Oh, Almost forgot......http://www.gtr-game.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/welcome.gif

Jim@MilkyWay
07-24-2006, 11:17 AM
http://i14.ebayimg.com/04/i/07/bf/f5/79_12.JPG
http://i15.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/cb/8d/ef_1.JPG

Hey guys, just signed up and would like some help. Any help is appreciated....

Welcome mattymax; glad to have you on-board.
I would _not_ put that mower into service actually cutting grass if It were mine. You get that dern thing dusty and it's goina' look like crap!
Hope you can take a little fun along with your advise.
It is really refreshing to see that folks out there keep their equipment up, especially when posting pics for us to eyeball.
Hey Guys, If you check in your operators manual it states to always take of in first gear then shift into higher gears on the fly (clutch pedal out)....
From my experience here, I think RestroRob has been a mechanic on this stuff for _months_ now and you can usually take it to the bank if he say's it.

Restrorob
07-24-2006, 12:09 PM
RestroRob has been a mechanic on this stuff for _months_ now

Thanks Jim, BUT it's _Technician_ and _Years_ :hammerhead: :laugh:

We were a Snapper Dealer for years and I do know them as well as you know your _electrical stuff_ payup

Jim@MilkyWay
07-24-2006, 12:27 PM
.... it's _Technician_ :hammerhead: :laugh:
"MASTER" technician!:cool2:

mattymax
07-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. The guy that just replaced the clutch said its "completely normal" and the funny thing is, it only really occurs when the clutch disc heats up----about 10 min worth of mowing.

BTW: thats not my pic. I got that off of ebay, but thats my exact mower

-matt

MowerMedic77
07-24-2006, 04:42 PM
I was so used to that old JD with the Peerless trans that the first time I got on the snapper. I just set it to 4th and WOW! I have'nt done that since :) My dad really likes this mower give a great cut:clapping:

oldrustycars
07-24-2006, 05:03 PM
thats a real high tech drive on those snappers, isnt it? they use the same system on the walk behind mowers.

FIXDISS
07-24-2006, 05:40 PM
If you do have the owners manual there is a specific adjustment procedure for each style whether you have the standard or smooth start clutch. I don't have my manual to give you the procedure but there is a spring that controls the tension on the plate that lowers the drive wheel onto the drive plate/less tension on spring the smoother the take off but too little tension will cause chattering and slippage. When adjusted properly you test it by putting selector in 5Th gear and release pedal. The front wheels will come off the ground just slightly. You also should be able to position mower against a stationary object and slowly release clutch just enough to get both drive wheels to break traction. Hope this helps.

Restrorob
07-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Below are the adjustments FIXDISS mentioned, If your rubber drive disc gets hot then slips or chatters these adjustments should be checked. I always moved the spring to the highest hole when the complaint was slippage. One last thing, (Sorry FIXDISS) But dumping the clutch in 5 gear could rip a chunk of rubber out of the disc in a heart beat. But you are right about pulling up against something solid in grass or dirt and easing the clutch out in 1st gear to check for slippage.

Sorry if the pic. is blurry, I forgot to turn my accelerator off again.

FIXDISS
07-24-2006, 08:08 PM
OK. I was trying to give that info from memory. A mind IS a terrible thing to waste !

Jim@MilkyWay
07-24-2006, 11:02 PM
....BTW: thats not my pic. I got that off of ebay, but thats my exact mower....matt

Dude, What is your beef here.
"Of course that is my mower, I keep it up real good" is the correct response.
Who cares if it is or it ain't. That is still the correct reply!

SLR
07-25-2006, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymax
....BTW: thats not my pic. I got that off of ebay, but thats my exact mower....matt

--
YA dude!..i'd actually be proud of that lil red rocket myself..looks darn near identical to my Ariens12hp,of course this snapper is a tad nicer.

mattymax
07-26-2006, 04:17 PM

I didnt mean anything bad by it at all. I only really said that because someone metioned that i shouldnt have taken the pic of the underside being underneath it. All I said was that Its not my pic and I go it off ebay. That is my correct model though ???

-matt

Jim@MilkyWay
07-26-2006, 04:39 PM
I didnt mean anything bad by it at all. I only really said that because someone metioned that i shouldnt have taken the pic of the underside being underneath it. All I said was that Its not my pic and I go it off ebay. That is my correct model though ???

-matt
Not to worry.
I certainly did not think you were rude or anything else. It's just that, if I were you my response would have been "Well,,, of course it's mine. Doesn't _EVERYBODY_ in this business, make _SURE_ to show up on the job site, every day, with a mower as spotless as this!?":laugh: :laugh: