PDA

View Full Version : Red Max or Robin or Shindalwa or your choice.

Dingo
01-17-2000, 02:47 PM
I want to buy a new trimmer and blower and i have heard great things about all of the names i have listed. in your opinion which one is the best. I want a trimmer with about 26cc. i was looking at the Red Max bc2600dl its got 26cc and is $389. is this a good price? how much was the one you got.

Evan528
01-17-2000, 05:19 PM
I personally have had great luck with redmax trimmers. i used echos for many years, they dont compare. the redmax has plenty of power to spare. there built very solid and always start in one or two pulls, very reliable. as for a blower a think the echo pb60 is the best on the market. i looked into the redmax at the time and didnt think the quality was as good. the echo are heavier than the redmax but are very powerful and built very good.

Evan528
01-17-2000, 05:20 PM
I personally have had great luck with redmax trimmers. i used echos for many years, they dont compare. the redmax has plenty of power to spare. there built very solid and always start in one or two pulls, very reliable. as for a blower a think the echo pb60 is the best on the market. i looked into the redmax at the time and didnt think the quality was as good. the echo are heavier than the redmax but are very powerful and built very good.

gene gls
01-17-2000, 05:40 PM
I use Stihl trimmers,straight shaft with plastic blades.There are several models.I use Echo PB210E hand blower.I have demoed others but this one fits my hand best and is the easyest to use because it is a square motor unit.There are several excelent brands on the market.You have to find the one that fits you.<br>

steve
01-17-2000, 06:00 PM
I recommend the RedMax BC2300DL or BC2600DL for string trimmers. As for a leaf blower I Recommend the HB2300 Handheld leaf blower or the EB6200 Backpack Leaf Blower 62cc A POWERHOUSE!!!

RJW
01-17-2000, 07:06 PM
I use a Echo SRM 2601 trimmer, good power (25cc), very responsive and light. I've tried a couple of the Shindawa's and they seemed pretty nice but I'll stick with the Echo for now. Not any Red Max dealers in my area.<br>Looking for a backpack or hand held blower? I heard Red Max has a good backpack and I use a Echo PB60 works fine and you can abuse it and it holds up. Hand helds all seem pretty similar. Your choice.

Millertime34
01-17-2000, 07:40 PM
I don't know if Stihl is one of your options but I highly recommend them. I sure love mine. I have two FS 80 trimmers and two BR 400 blowers. I haven't tried anything else because I have been 100% satisfied with them. Everything starts and runs great.If something ever goes wrong I'll replace them with the exact item. FS 80 is $269 w/loop handle, $329 w/handlebars. We prefer the loop because of maneuverability. BR 400 is $399. Give them a thought if you have a dealer. <p>----------<br>Bryan..Heartland Lawn Care<br>heartlandlawn@hotmail.com

VWBug61083
01-17-2000, 08:10 PM
I couldn't recommend anything less than Echo. They are built the best and last longer than anything else.

Lazer
01-17-2000, 08:13 PM
VWBUG,<p>I assume your dealer doesn't carry Shindiawa?

Eric ELM
01-17-2000, 08:20 PM
Good one Lazer. We tried out the Echo's years ago, didn't hold up to good. We have used Shindaiwa 27cc trimmers for 6 years now. On another trimmer post, 7 guys in a row used Shindaiwa trimmers too. We got a Red Max 62cc back pack blower this year and it is a power house and lighter than most smaller blowers. So far so good on this one. The 27cc Shindaiwa Power Broom is also another nice piece of equipment.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<p>

VWBug61083
01-17-2000, 08:44 PM
Well, no one around here uses Shindaiwa (nor does anyone sell them) so I do not have any experience with Shindaiwa. I am sure they are very good machines. I was comparing Echo to what I have known people to use (i.e Stihl, Husqvarna, ect.) and they have held up very well. I have never heard of anyone (who took care of them) to have problems with Echo.

MWHC
01-17-2000, 08:53 PM
Red Max makes a great trimmer. Red Max probably has one of the best power to weight ratio's I have used. The only problem I have with the Red max is the non adjustable Carbs. I now use Stihl, (our dealer lost the Red max Account). Stihl makes nice equipment but I think the Max ran smoother and with more vigor.

jeffclc
01-18-2000, 03:12 AM
What is the purpose of having the larger high power engines? I run 22 cc Echo trimmers, and rarely use them at full throttle. Since nearly all my work is done on a routine basis, there is usually nothing heavy to cut. <p>It is rare for me to run a trimmer at full throttle. <p>I cast my vote for Echo trimmers. I run them pretty hard, trimming two cemeteries. They get used for long periods of time, and ae very dependable. The only trouble I have os that the exhaust screen will plug. It is a few minute job to clean them.

Lazer
01-18-2000, 04:00 AM
Jeff,<p>Most guys I know remove the spark arrestor screen in the exaust. From what I understand, it's not needed in most applications.

docshank
01-18-2000, 04:50 AM
We run Shindaiwa trimmers and blowers. We've removed the spark arrestor screens off of all of them. Just a little louder, but it reduces the restriction of airflow in the exhaust. There is a noticeable gain in power, kind of like installing a header on your trimmer. Haven't had any problems throwing sparks and starting any fires. Guess there is always that chance, but I think it probably has alot to do with the quality of oil that you mix with your gas as to whether you'll be blowing alot of sparks out of the exhaust. <p>----------<br>Doc Shank<br>

bob
01-18-2000, 07:14 AM
I run 3 Shindaiwa T-270's. My oldest one will be 10 years old this year-the other 2 are fairly new. I had to replace the ignition coil on the old one this year. Thats all I've ever done to it! They'll last forever! I also have a Shindaiwa LE260 stick edger and a Redmax 6200 backpack blower. This morning I ordered a Shindaiwa EB630 backpack blower. My Shindaiwa dealer told me that he makes very little money on Shindaiwa repairs because they rarely ever have any problems. Bob

Lazer
01-18-2000, 07:18 AM
Yeah, dealers are always saying they make very little money. What, did they inhert it all? The BMW was a gift from the inlaws?<p>I get your point, I'm just amused at dealers always saying they're making no money on you.

GroundKprs
01-18-2000, 11:12 AM
Go Shindiawa for a trimmer and you won't have any regrets. 6-7 years ago I decided to find the best trimmer: went to Expo in Louisville, Ky and tried every trimmer made (except Echo, because they are too good for shows since about 10 yr ago). The Shindiawa was by far the best power to weight ratio; we went with the T-230, don't do any real heavy duty work. Closest dealer for us is 20 mi, but I'd go twice that for a good machine.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>South Bend, IN

ashlandscaping
01-19-2000, 09:23 AM
Well I have Redmax, Stihl, and Shindalwa. I use redmax trimmers on both crews string and hedge trimmers. Have had 1 trimmer for 5 years now not one problem. Just bought 2 blowers this last season (redmax) a hand held and back pack. Work great!!!! Others that we still use is the Stihl blowers for the price they are a great blower. Have 2 Shindalwa blowers they are ok but just dont have the same power as the redmax or stihl. Also had 2 shim string trimmers and had problems with both only after 6 months of use so I willnt buy one again. As far as not being able to adjust the carbs on the redmax well soon you will not be able to adjust any carbs on any small enegines soon. Stihl which starting this year will be using redmax made enegines in their machines. Shindalwa is already unadjustable. So it all leading that way. If your in one of those states that is talking about haveing emissions for small enegines only ones that would pass today is redmax and the new sthils. But what ever thats worth. OOOO yea DONT buy echo unless you can only afford that or want a throw away. That is all echo is use it for a season then throw it away. And for only $ 200.00 for a echo it is a throw away.

Lazer
01-19-2000, 11:56 AM
A scathing review of Echo. The new Echo 2601 is pretty decent. And the $200.00 Echo will probably trim as much grass as any $200.00 trimmer. Let's look at some Echo sales figures. <p>Echo probably isn't as good as RedMax, certianly not as good a Stihl and shouldn't even be in the same sentence as Shindiawa, but I don't think they're as bad as you indicate.<br>

Charles
01-19-2000, 12:48 PM
The only problem I have had with the 2100 echo is having to replace the carborator after a couple of years. I just don't run them wide open all the time. I use exact mix and 89octane gas always.<br>

Lazer
01-19-2000, 01:01 PM
Echo 2100 is a residential trimmer you can buy mail order for $179.00. Buy 'em, run them 1 year and sell them for $90.<p>Running a machine like that for 2 years commercial isn't what the echo engineers had in mind.

Charles
01-19-2000, 01:06 PM
I have been running my 2 2100 echos for over 2 years. Have over 70 customers. Like I said I have only had to replace the carberator on one. I have echo everthing&gt; They don't even sell shandawi whatever around here.

lawnman
01-19-2000, 02:29 PM
I had a Shindiawa, it was great the first year. The second year it fell apart!!! GO FOR THE REDMAX. I have tweelve years on a trimmer and blower both REDMAX<p>----------<br>spreble<br>

Charles
01-21-2000, 05:30 AM
Lazer, You maybe thinking about the 2100 and not the srm2100 witcht I have.( I could be wrong about there being 2 types) The least amount the srm is sold for around here I have found is 219$ I have found the srm2100 to be commercial grade and dependable and strong. Now I would need a bigger machine for field like grass that I had to cut wide open for long periods of time. But for regular maintenance this light weight machine works just fine. Better than putting a strap on and dragging a big heavy gas guzzeling machine around all day in the hot sun. The srm 2100 has a commercial warranty on it too. I would like to go with a little more power next time a buy. But not much. I haven't seen the red or the shandawia around here. I have a dependable mechanic who work on echo. That means alot.

JML
01-21-2000, 03:54 PM
Go with the redmax, i have never had a problem with them. Choose any model weedwacker you like the best. But get the 6200 back pack blower, nothing can stop the thing, and it is a must for landscapers

Dave
01-21-2000, 04:31 PM
As a shindaiwa dealer of 4 years ,i haven,t seen one of them fall apart after a year.I sell about 30-35 a year,I have work on them that are 5-10 years old with minor problem,as for sthill check out the cable drive shafts,what a bye,echo,hum you might as well go to home depot and bye it as you can bye it cheaper than your local dealer,Look at homelite ,mac,they were good in there day until they went into the chain stores,mac out of business,and homelite bought out by Deere as there products were junk.all carbs as of 99 i believe have too meet epa requirements,so there will be no more adjustments,on them,and shindaiwa is very stringent on paying for any work done under warrenty,Redmax not a big sealer in this area even though a big dist is about a hour away ,no local dearler,not to brag about shindaiwa but ill compare power to weight ratio.and longivity to anything out there,if proven different ill sell that eq.instead

grasscapeinc
03-28-2000, 08:55 AM
RED MAX!!!!!!!!!!!<p>Dirt cheap at www.alamia.com

Matt
03-30-2000, 09:32 PM
As far as blowers go ive only ever used Lesco. I like them i really hate the way the echo ones have to use 2 hands.

slagerlawncare
03-30-2000, 09:40 PM
red max blower! just purchased the 6200..wow! that thing will blow the snot out of a loyal customer at 100 yards....

CLM1
03-30-2000, 09:54 PM
I've owned the same Robin weed trimmer since 1987 with NOT 1 problem! Just made it my back-up unit two weeks ago. Bought a new Honda 4-stroker. QUIET! Lots-a-torque!<br>But I still like my Robin. It's kinda like those old worn out sneakers or flannel shirt we all have. It's just right.