PDA

View Full Version : Update on mower for sloped property

Down Hill
07-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Went to a local dealer. He had a nice 34" Gravely for $2100, but it may be more than I need. He had a Billy Goat and a Simplicity Pacer and confirmed that neither would handle the hills well.

However, they had something called a Worldlawn 28" 10.5 HP mower that looked pretty good and it had individual wheel control to handle the hills. Plus the smaller size seems much more manuverable aroundmy property. I did a search here for this mower and noboday seems to know anything about it.

At $1200 and an ideal size, plus the ability to handle the slope, I probably will take a chance on this mower.

That is, unless some of you have had poor experiences with one like it.

Thanks!

mr mow
07-25-2006, 11:55 PM
honestly,if no one on hear has heard of it,your the monkey thats wants to be tested. good luck! if its worth a hoot, someone on here would of heard of it!

Down Hill
07-26-2006, 12:11 AM
You may beright, but there just doesn't seem to be much availableabout them anywhere. Even a Google search showed very little.

I may allow myself to be the test dummy here! (or is it test dumby???):dizzy:

mr mow
07-26-2006, 12:43 AM
give us a review

mr mow
07-26-2006, 12:54 AM
if your looking at price solely, why don't you check out a redhawk? I've heard good things and bad things. i think the bad things said are from people with out an open mind to value and performance v.s. is it made in the usa(p.s. everyone else in the world also has to mow their lawn if they have one), and weather or not joe blow owns one. im open minded, but the reliablity of my mowers is of the upmost importance so anytime im making a buying decision, i come to this site and weed through the good and the bad and decide on who and what points i trust. ultimately its your money, but again if you can not find worldlawn in search on this site, i wouldnt touch it. im a very open minded individual as well. my biz depends on it. What are recommended

Mickhippy
07-26-2006, 01:05 AM
http://www.worldlawnpower.com/

Down Hill
07-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Hey! Thanks for the link! They are made in China, but they are made by a private company and not related at all to Sutech.

The Redhawk looks like a great suggestion too. Apparently, they are somehow made by/or connected to Bradley Mowers.

At least, there are a few options. I am leaning towards the Worldlawn, but I am going to another dealer today to see what they have. At least I have a few more brands to look for.

Thanks again!

jallen191
03-14-2007, 04:12 AM
how did you make out with the worldlawn?

i am also interested due to having fairly severe slopes in the back yard.

Down Hill
03-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Well... I got the 28" and it really is a nice machine. It handles the hills well, but I am convinced that no mower would navigate the most severely slopped part of my property (not that big a section, so I just line cut it. I also have plans to cover that whole section with wood chips soon).

If I have 2 complaints/suggestions to make the Worldlawn better, I would suggest sightly bigger wheels and a slightly bigger cutting deck - 30" or 32" would be nice.

That being said, I guess I could have gone for the Gravely with larger wheels, a 34" deck, and a bit more power, but that would have been double the price and it is a much heavier machine. The WorldLawn actually gets in and out of some fairly tight spots which is something I need. i also don't like the idea of a really heavy mower on my slopes. If I have to manhandle the Wordlawn, it is still small enough that I can. Anything bigger would be a bit scary.

Anyway, hope this helps!

jallen191
03-14-2007, 08:53 AM
yes it does- THANKS
i did notice that worldlawn also has the 33" width mower which seems to be better- 3 blades, adjustable rear height, and more adjustment heights for the front end casters. the downside seems to be the extra weight, about 300 lbs compared to the 28" 230 lbs.

Down Hill
03-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Yes, but for some stupid and unexplainable reason, the 33" DOES NOT HAVE INDEPENDENT WHEEL CONTROL! One brake for both wheels - no good going sideways on hills (which I NEED to do). Otherwise, I would have jumped on the 33" as it would have had everything that I wanted.

forbin
03-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Yes, but for some stupid and unexplainable reason, the 33" DOES NOT HAVE INDEPENDENT WHEEL CONTROL! One brake for both wheels - no good going sideways on hills (which I NEED to do). Otherwise, I would have jumped on the 33" as it would have had everything that I wanted.

Downhill I'm guessing you picked this mower up at Nutmeg in Danbury. I'm also considering it for my property which has a decent amount of 20 degree side hill cutting in Danbury. Any other info on your experience is appreciated, I want to pull the trigger before the grass turns green. Thanks.

Down Hill
03-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Yep! That is exactly where I got it.

Overall, I wish I had a bigger cutting deck and more power. But the reality is that I need the smaller space to get into a number of tighter sections of my lawn. I don't have the space, the $, or the desire to house and use two mowers. If I did, I would have kept my Toro Personal Pace 6.5 HP for the tighter spots and gone with the Gavely 36" for the rest. As it stands, the Worldlawn really was the perfect compromise. It is clearly more powerful and cuts better and faster than the Toro did, but it is more hangable than the Gravely in the tighter spots.

If I had to do it all again, I would probably go the same way. If I didn't mind dropping an additional grand for a few more inches of cutting and a few more horses, I'd go with the Gravely. But on my budget and everything else considered, the Worldlawn for $1200 vs. the Gravely at $2200 seemed like an easy choice. I have no regrets. In fact, I don't even know if I would have been able to handle the hills with that big Gravely.

GOOD LUCK!

jallen191
03-30-2007, 03:14 AM
i am going to look at them- can you tell me if the rear height is adjustable or is it fixed. also in looking at the worldlawn site i see that they make 2 pull start models and 2 electric start. it seems that the only difference is that 1 mower of each offer different height adjustments 1.5" to 3.5" and 2" to 4".
i don't know if there are any other differences.

i amstill trying to decide between this or a billy goat FM3301. i have been watching to see how you like yours and i likely won't decide until i see the worldlawn in person.
thanks for the details.

Down Hill
03-30-2007, 07:46 AM
First of all, the Worldlawn I have is pull start and it has all 4 wheels adjustable from 1.5" to 3.5" which is fine with me.

The Billy Goat is a very nice machine, but I was told that it would be bad on hills due to the fact that it has one brake for both wheels.

jallen191
04-21-2007, 04:56 AM
I checked out the Worldlawn mowers today- this year's models now offer independent drive and braking on both the 28 inch and the 33 inch models. The 28 inch unit is significantly smaller and the deck itself is adjusted up or down from 2 to 4 inch cutting height. The 33 inch has the thr front casters which you change the spacer locations and the back end has a hand crank to adjust the height up or down.

I AM STILL TRYING TO DECIDE BETWEEN THE 28" WORLDLAWN OR A BILLY GOAT FM3301. I HAVE TO FIND OUT ABOUT THE DEPENDABILITY OF THE BILL GOAT'S DRIVE TRAIN AS I AM CONSIDERING BUYING A USED ONE. IF I LIVED ANYWHERE NEAR THE PLACE THAT IS SELLING THEM NEW FOR $999 I WOULD HAVE ALREADY BOUGHT ONE.

I BELIEVE THE BILLY GOAT HAS SOME TYPE OF SHAFT DRIVE COMING DIRECTLY FROM THE TRANSMISSION. I AM CONCERNED THAT THE TREANSMISSION MAY BE MORE SUBJECT TO WEAR AND SUBSEQUENT FAILURE. IF ANYONE HAS EXPERIENCE WITH THE LONgEVITy OF THE BILLY
GOAT MOWER- PLEASE COMMENT.

ChadsLawn
04-21-2007, 05:05 AM
Seems like they copied eXmark and Toro on there Z rider...

forbin
04-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Still waiting for my dealer to get in this years models of the World Lawns. As soon as they do and I am able to pick one up I will post a review.

soncao
01-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Hi Down Hill, I just want to see how the Worldlawn hold up todate? How is the BS engine? Thanks.

Down Hill
01-28-2009, 02:27 PM
It has been 3 seasons and zero problems. I will be taking it in for a routine service - which os overdue - before the season. But I am very happy with the power and handling of this machine. I still sometimes wish I had even more power and a bigger cutting deck, but I still need the smaller size for tight spots. Overall, I am happy with it. If I had a higher budget, I would have gone with a bigger and better machine, but I can honestly say that there have been no problems with this machine at all.

Jay Ray
01-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Since it is used as a hill mower only, it may be hold a slope even better if you put dual wheels on the rear. But close trimming goes out the window with that.

soncao
01-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, I have a large yard with 2/3 of slopes here in Newington, some are are about 40 degree steep. do you think worldlawn can handle such terrain? I agree with you ,worldlawn is much more economical (which I can afford) compare to the other brand. but it should be enough for home user only. Thanks and have good snowy day.

TC LAWNCARE
01-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Never heard of worldlawn.

soncao
01-29-2009, 12:12 PM
How do you put a dual wheels on the rear? Thanks

Jay Ray
01-29-2009, 01:10 PM
You can have a piece of large diameter pipe turned and faced by a machinist as a spacer -- steel, composite, plastic, PVC sch 80 -- The outside diameter fits snug inside the rim. Steel pipe is stronger. Drill four holes in each rim and assemble with all-thread, washers, and nuts and the spacer between the rims.

There is a guy on eBay who offers the pipe spacer for 12" rim garden tractors but he don't have a listing at the moment.

btw, turn the inside wheel around if that allows access to air up without disassembling everything.

soncao
01-29-2009, 01:49 PM
So this modification will increase the wheel side and so the traction. Thanks Jay. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jay Ray
01-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Plus on a steep slope if the center of gravity of the machine gets to where it is close to tipping the machine, the extra wheel is like an extra foot out there resisting the tip.

soncao
01-30-2009, 10:33 PM
you are right it makes the base wider. But it not easy to find all the necessary parts. I will keep checking the e-bay for the metal spacer. Thanks. Son

Jay Ray
02-03-2009, 10:37 AM
If your rims are not 12" you might have to have spacers made locally. I think you would get improved performance, how much is unknown.

Also, just to give you some ideas, a lot of Gravely two wheel tractors with mower attachments still have dual wheels, but the spacers came from the factory. Pretty easy to convert to single or dual, back and forth.

These wb tractors are tanks, rock-solid cast iron machines, but went out of production I thinks about ten years ago, very expensive. Gravely just came out with a new version, but it costs as much as a good commercial Z. Gravely has its own subculture of very dedicated enthusiasts with a big "mow-in" every year in PA.

I have also seen the two rims welded together, welded all around, but I can't imagine how difficult it is to get tires on and off. A single lawn size rim is difficult enough. I would go with spacers if I did duals.
I change my own tires and it is the worst job in lawncare repair.

Mickhippy
02-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Check out this vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye1WMg3729s

soncao
02-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Instead of the dual wheels, can I just replace the original tires with the wide and broader ones? but will doing this put more work on a 33" mower with 10.5hp B&S engine?

another thing do you have any experience with the B&S engines compare to the Honda ones? Thanks.

Jay Ray
02-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Every pound makes the mower work harder, just depends on what you want out of the mower.

Wider rims and tires would help too, especially if the tire has a flat profile rather than rounded.

Jay Ray
02-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Check out this vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye1WMg3729s

That's a Scag and a half. Don't know what would happen without those ag's when going into reverse.

Jay Ray
02-03-2009, 10:42 PM
If your B&S 10.5 has pressurized lube you have no worries. For splash lube my dealer has been recommending putting in 15% extra oil for mowing slopes. Could be hard on the seals but helps not to toast the engine.

Far as I know only the GXnnn Honda designations have pressure lube.

soncao
02-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks Jay for all of the valuable informations.

Mickhippy
02-04-2009, 05:57 AM
Im not sure about wider rims/tires giving better traction.
Id say narrow tires give better "bite" (think tractor). Wide tires give flotation. I would think anyway!
In that vid I posted, he's using 2 narrow tires. Id think a wider tire would be at the bottom of the hill! But Im only guessing!

lifetree
02-04-2009, 06:52 AM
The Worldlawn looks like an interesting mower ... are you sure it has 2 independently driven rear wheels ... and not a single transaxle that you have to "muscle" around ??

Jay Ray
02-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Im not sure about wider rims/tires giving better traction.
Id say narrow tires give better "bite" (think tractor). Wide tires give flotation. I would think anyway!
In that vid I posted, he's using 2 narrow tires. Id think a wider tire would be at the bottom of the hill! But Im only guessing!

I agree on the traction issue. But the wider tires would help resist tip over. Those dual chevrons on the Scag looked like the only way to go there however.

I put 3/4" spacers between the original wheels and the rear hubs on my Wheel Horse and the difference is really noticeable with just 1.5 inches wider total stance. I seldom use the old beast, but for pulling a full Cyclone Rake on very hilly terrain it is hard to beat -- if you build your own hitch. Stock CR hitch for WH does not work well.

soncao
02-05-2009, 01:02 AM
The Worldlawn looks like an interesting mower ... are you sure it has 2 independently driven rear wheels ... and not a single transaxle that you have to "muscle" around ??

yes, it has 2 indepently driven rear wheels, but no reverse.

hackalot
02-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Little bigger than what yer talking bout. 38hp diesel, 72" cut, 40+% slopes