PDA

View Full Version : Homeowner Retaining Wall

Gator Fett
07-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Here are some pictures of my retaining wall I recently finished, thanks to all the usefull information here on LawnSite.com.

It is an AB Lite wall with AB Stone accents in the corners. It's a total of 120 ft long (15 ft on each end and 90 ft in the middle), and 30" tall. The main color is Smoke with Mahagony corners, accent stripe and cap stones.

Thanks again for all the tips.
Gator

Gator Fett
07-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Some more pictures.

jazak
07-26-2006, 12:45 PM
I would have made the wall longer as pointed out by the red because the water will no let the grass grow on the end of that wall. Also what did you back fill it with? Drainage?

Drafto
07-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Some more pictures.

I freakin hate AB. The corners are so ridiculous, next time use VL or something that would have looked a little better at the corners.

tthomass
07-26-2006, 11:31 PM
first time at it......you done good, but yeah.........drainage?

Squizzy246B
07-27-2006, 03:38 AM
Looks good to me for a 1st timer...well done.

Gator Fett
07-27-2006, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the comments. :)

Base and backfill is 3/4" crushed limestone, compacted at each row. The perforated drainage pipe is connected to sch40 pvc which runs under the sidewalk and to the storm ditch near the corner of the walk. It is just out of sight in the first picture.

I freakin hate AB. The corners are so ridiculous, next time use VL or something that would have looked a little better at the corners. :laugh: Next time? Are you kidding, I am never going to do this again. :laugh:

Although, I am interested to find out what you're refering to about the corners. I don't know if you noticed in my first post, but I pointed out that I did choose to use a different sized corner block, to give the wall some detail. Using the larger block at the corner made my job a little harder, but I don't think it looks bad.

Gator

n2h20
07-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Good job.. looks good and serves the purpose..

D Felix
07-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Uhhh, hate to tell you this, but you should have used clean angular backfill to allow for drainage. Using crushed, unwashed stone will not let water pass through in a timely manner, and you will have problems down the road.

Fortunately for you, it's a small wall, so next time you have to build it, you won't be out too much on gravel.....

GreenMonster
07-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Uhhh, hate to tell you this, but you should have used clean angular backfill to allow for drainage. Using crushed, unwashed stone will not let water pass through in a timely manner, and you will have problems down the road.

Fortunately for you, it's a small wall, so next time you have to build it, you won't be out too much on gravel.....

Good comment, Dan, which I would have to agree with, but here is a little interesting tidbit:

When I took the ICPI course this winter, my instructor informed the class that they build all of their walls with 3/4" CBR as backfill, compacted to 90%+ Proctor, just as you would a base for a walkway or patio.

Now, I would think that that would create even greater hydrostatic pressure, but if the drain tile is placed in the proper location, the water should move out. I guess he has lots of walls out there built like this, but I personally don't see the advantage, and seems like there is a lot more labor performing that kind of compaction. I think I would be a little concerned about compacting to that density right behind a wall too. Oh well, just food for though.

Looks good for a first timer, Gator. I've done quite a bit with AB, and have to agree with some of these other guys -- it's a PITA. The corners suck cuz you have to notch them out in order to get them to sit correctly. Plus, they're 16" so they don't work on bond with the 18" stretchers or the 9" juniors. I don't think I've ever installed an AB corner right off the pallet. You always gotta cut something.

Gator Fett
07-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Sorry ... I guess I used the wrong term ... it was clean washed stone. The supply house I got the block from is the largest hardscaping supply house in the Metro Detroit area. The guys there were very helpfull, and knoledgable about how to construct an AB wall. They made it clear to me to use a clean base and fill, and thats what they supplied.

Pro-Scapes
07-29-2006, 08:57 AM
alot better than most homeowner done walls I have seen. Everyone here thinks they can just go stack thoes blocks up from lowes and bam have a retaining wall.

Wish i had picks but one guy here stacked em up a good 6 ft prolly 60 ft long... no back fill no drainage and now its sunk in and half washed out

Mike33
07-29-2006, 09:24 PM
First time? Interested in a job? Looks good ab is all i use and i have over 150 of them in my area any where from 15' to 168' in length and from 2' to 15' in height. Any future questions down the road please contact me.
www.bobcatservice33.com
Mike

crab
07-29-2006, 10:01 PM
glad you no frost in youre area ,caulking is not a long term solution to holding grade back.looks sweet for lego's though.

keith_480231
07-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Hey Gator your supplier wouldn't have been Stone City was it???

all ferris
07-31-2006, 05:33 PM
The wall looks great! Do you want a job???

It seems like every time someone posts a pic in the hardscaping forum everyone else just picks the work apart and says how its all wrong???? WHY??

phototropic1
07-31-2006, 06:12 PM
I think it looks great! Certainly a LOT better than some of the professionally installed block walls I've seen around here. And I kinda like those end caps. They DO give the wall more character, which I think most precast block walls could definitely use.
Good job!

Mike33
07-31-2006, 09:36 PM
The wall looks great! Do you want a job???

It seems like every time someone posts a pic in the hardscaping forum everyone else just picks the work apart and says how its all wrong???? WHY??
I agree with you. I would sooner give a compliment than a negative. The wall looks good why pick. If i wanted to pick i would have to start with my own. no one is perfect. In reality on this site why should i give a flying **** if some one in Tenn. builds a wall that i dont like. I only give negative when asked and there is a serious mistake made.I have been building them for years and have over 150 in my area.
Mike

Gator Fett
08-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Hey Gator your supplier wouldn't have been Stone City was it???
No, it was the Rock Shoppe in Plymouth. The "largest" title was their own, but it's bigger than any of the other places I've been to in the area. I talked to the sales guy at Stone City, and while they do carry AB, their in stock selection was smaller and their prices were higher than the Rock Shoppe.

Gator Fett
08-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Mike33 & all ferris,

Thanks for the nice complements and the job offers. :) But my day job keeps me plenty busy, so I will have to decline. :)

Gator