PDA

View Full Version : Timbrens Vs Air Bags

FIREMAN Q
07-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Just looking for some advise in regards to placing the above to beef up my rear suspension for heavier loads. I have a f250SD and it sags a little with my trailer on it (not very worried about that) in the winter time with my spreader and a load of salt i have a bigger sag.

what is the advantage of using the air bags vs timbren. Cost wise its cheaper to go with the tims.

stuffdeer
07-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Well, Withthe air bags, you could let air out when your not carring a load, to ease the ride up, and then air them up with a ride. With Timbrens, its one ride and nothing else.

I hope that made sense.

TWUllc
07-26-2006, 09:52 PM
No problems with my timbrens. Cheap, easy to install, and does the job like a charm.

THEGOLDPRO
07-26-2006, 09:57 PM
i went to a shop here and just had them add a few leafs, brought my 3/4 ton to over a full ton for sure, didnt cost too much either.

Scag48
07-27-2006, 12:10 AM
Air bags are a somewhat complicated system. You have to put a compressor and tank on the truck, no big deal, but then you have to plumb it all and as long as the hoses don't get a hole in them, you're fine. But if you come out one day and you're truck is sitting funny, you'll know why. Dollar for dollar, Timbrens are the way to go. They're super cheap, less than $300 in all applications, and they're basically bombproof. Air bags, on the other hand, are just another entity on the truck that could malfunction and unless you have a specified application that requires the use of airbags, it's a waste of money because good systems with dual guages and all the goodies is at least $450+. With Timbrens you don't have the adjustability, but say you don't want them on there in the summer just take them off, they're way easy to install.

lwcmattlifter
07-27-2006, 12:18 AM
I agree with what Scag48 said. With the Timbrens the truck's suspension has to settle about 1.5 inches before the timbren touches the overload perch. The ride is maybe 5% more stiff than stock. Timbrens can easily be removed in 10 minutes tops.

AintNoFun
07-27-2006, 07:16 AM
i have air bags in my expedition.. ive moved around a bobcat a few times and its pretty crazy how the truck doesn't sag once the bags fill up. i dont think its practical putting on an aftermarket system though...

GreginAlaska
07-27-2006, 08:54 AM
I just had timbrens put on the rear of my F350 last week. Didn't seem to change the ride any until I hooked up the hydroseeder behind it. I had about a 14K load on a pintle hitch and it didn't sag much, if any.

MysticLandscape
07-27-2006, 10:34 PM
I have airbags in my truck and love them, if you search under my name you can find pictures of them. I just took them down from 50 PSI to 15 for when I go away tomorow so the ride isnt as rough.

john_incircuit
07-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Installed the Firestone incoil airbags 2 years ago. Made a big difference, but one started to leak after a few month, the other one started to leak within one year. I'll switch to the Timbrens.

John

Gravel Rat
07-28-2006, 11:23 PM
You can't rely on air bags all it takes is one to blow or something to let go and the truck drops on either corner and it scares the living crap out of you.

The other problem with air bags is they have no give so you go around the corner the truck doesn't lean. You take a corner too fast the tires will break loose.

Timbrens are basic once they are installed you forget about them untill you have a heavy load in the truck. There is nothing to wear out.

I wouldn't ever increase the springs on a 3/4 ton ton I would maybe add overload springs but I wouldn't build up the spring packs it will make it too rough. A 3/4 ton doesn't have enough weight to keep the truck from going jitter bug over the bumps.

FIREMAN Q
07-30-2006, 02:41 PM
thanks for all the replies. I think i am going to go with the timbrens. A little cheaper and it will accomplish the same thing. thanks again for the advice:drinkup: :drinkup:

FIREMAN Q
08-27-2006, 09:00 PM
I just put my timbrens in the other day. What a difference. The truck rides a lot better now with them in. It makes a trailer ride much better also. Thanks for all the advice

DAMSLandscaping
08-27-2006, 09:45 PM
i added 2 leafs to my F250 and it does make it ride a little rough but im also going to add a dump insert in so that will be some weight in the back. i was thinking about also adding tims in the front for the plow and in the back but.. will they really be needed with the 2 extra leafs? i dont think i could hurt really..

greenscapes,inc.
08-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Air bags are a somewhat complicated system. You have to put a compressor and tank on the truck, no big deal, but then you have to plumb it all and as long as the hoses don't get a hole in them, you're fine. But if you come out one day and you're truck is sitting funny, you'll know why. Dollar for dollar, Timbrens are the way to go. They're super cheap, less than $300 in all applications, and they're basically bombproof. Air bags, on the other hand, are just another entity on the truck that could malfunction and unless you have a specified application that requires the use of airbags, it's a waste of money because good systems with dual guages and all the goodies is at least $450+. With Timbrens you don't have the adjustability, but say you don't want them on there in the summer just take them off, they're way easy to install.

Yeah Airbags are another system to the truck but if they are installed correctly then you wont have any problems. I have them front and rear on my F-350 and they have been great. $450 would be super cheep, My Firestones were about $1800 installed. Thats tank, compressor, gauges, and a tool box to put the compressor and tank in.