PDA

View Full Version : Foam filled skid steer tires

Birdhunter1
07-26-2006, 08:51 PM
Besides not having a flat tire are there any other downsides to having foam filled tires?
I'm looking at a Case 1845C with foam filled tires but I want to know of any downsides to them before I get it.

xcopterdoc
07-26-2006, 09:15 PM
You can't get em off the rim! So when it comes time to replace em.. you can trade for more foam filled or buy 4 new rims and have air filled tires installed.

Birdhunter1
07-26-2006, 11:22 PM
That's what I had heard and thought in regards to replacing tires.
Is a new set of rims expensive, everything else on a skid machine is?

ksss
07-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Actually that is not totally accurate. You can recap them on the rim as long you still have some of the casing left.

gammon landscaping
07-27-2006, 12:15 AM
well around here they just take a sawsall and cut the old tires off, the tire guys got tired of seeing all the old rims go in the dumpster and started doing it, the only reason i don't have mine filled is that i run trackes over the tires and if you roll a big rock in there you will bend a axle shaft

TXTom
07-27-2006, 07:45 AM
I had mine filled the first day I got the loader. Best money I have spent. When I used to rent machines the biggest hassle was flats and ruined tires. I have ruined several myself on demolition jobs and clearing brush. All of these worries are gone with the filled tires. I have seen a couple of things stuck in my filled tires that would definitely cause a flat, possibly ruin the tire. The foam does add some wight to the machine so keep this in mind for trailering. The added weight increased the tipping weight on my machine.

Tom

Birdhunter1
07-27-2006, 08:52 AM
Thanks guys for all the help.
Will the drive motors wear out quicker if the tirs are foam filled since the tires are now heavier? Same rational behind fluid filling the drive wheels on a ztr, the hydros will wear to fast.