PDA

View Full Version : Guards or no-guards

parkeeee
07-26-2006, 10:09 PM
I have seen a lot of machines without grass deflectors attached. While this can disperse clippings more evenly over the lawn, the risk of shooting debris is too great for my tastes. I will bungee cord up my deflector when in wide open spaces but never when near buildings/people/vehicles.

The equipment at work is all rear discharge so this is not an issue, but the equipment that I have for my lawn care business is side discharge and I would never completely remove it.

Just today, while going down the street, there was someone cutting a median with the deflector completely removed. With temperatures in the upper 80's I had my window rolled down and as I passed a chunk of branch was launched in my direction by the mower.

What is the general consensus on keeping or removing a deflector?

:weightlifter:

TURF DOCTOR
07-26-2006, 10:12 PM
We take em off and go with blade blockers.

GBSLAND
07-29-2006, 04:48 PM
We take em off and go with blade blockers.

Same here:clapping:

PR Fect
08-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Quick chute on ours and no regrets.

jtkplc
08-03-2006, 11:17 PM
In previous years when I side discharged I never had one on. Last year I had an OCDC, and this year I mulch, so there is obviously no need for one.

Idealtim
08-12-2006, 06:46 PM
The guard is on it, just up and away.

TheLawnBarber
08-13-2006, 08:35 PM
I usually do both. Some lawns that are short I discharge I have the chute down. But when lawns are really tall and thick I have the discharge chute up. I just depends on the conditions.

lawnpro724
08-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Yeah I never run with chutes on my mowers dont like the rows of cut grass laying all over a yard we just cut, not in the bailing busn. I have been running without them on all of my mowers for over 15 yr with no problems. By the way isn't that why we carry insurance ? just in case something happens?

Waterscapes By Design
08-18-2006, 10:17 PM
I personally take all mine off too, I cant stand to see a yard with rows of clippings every 34-52 inches wide, it just takes away from that clean fresh cut look..... I recently put on a couple mulching decks and am quite pleased! Only problem I have with the mulching decks is that sometimes I'm actually getting hit in the face by a little bit of the grass that comes sort of out the front of the mower as I ride.....anyone else with a mulching deck have that happen??

Phil's Lawn Care
08-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Leave mine on and bungee cord them up... Then when around beds, cars, etc, I let the bungee cord down.

jkingrph
08-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Used to mow without until, I my truck with camper top got hit by rock thrown by ztr operated by nearby school district without discharge chute, guard. The supervisor mentioned that she had just been to a seminar where this was on the agenda as an item of liability, but they were so arrogant as to want my insurance to cover cost then would reimburse me my deductible. I sad no nickle and stuck to the facts and made the pay full amount, just took calm positive and forceful attitude.

LawnBrother
08-31-2006, 04:44 PM
Because I do a lot of small/med residentials, I need to get into tight spaces a lot, so I bungee up my deflector most of the time, in my case on my particular wb, i have seen it doesn't make a real difference regarding shooting debris, and in tall, thick grass leaving the defletor down causes clumping.

LawnMan883
09-02-2006, 07:44 PM
I took mine off because when i use my material collection systerm the deflector gets in the way so I just removed it. i have mulching blades on so it doesn;t shoot the clippings far, and if people are around i am careful regardless because even witht he deflector down it can shoot debris pretty far

GarPA
05-08-2007, 01:20 AM
I have a York Sheet Metal operator controlled discharge chute. Works awesome form wide open to shut. Best $200 I ever spent

Turfco Tim
05-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Here is an opinion from the vendor side. Many years ago I worked for a commercial lawn mower distributor in Indiana. One of our customers was cutting grass at an apartment complex with the deflector up. He hit a small bolt in the lawn which went through an apartment window and lodged in a small girls neck. I believe it paralyzed her. Manufacturers put those on for a reason. The guys that are running with deflectors up may want to rethink aesthetics when you consider the life changing harm you can cause.

Personally a commercial cutter who was mowing the property next to my house with deflectors up broke a window on a storm door on the side of my house with a small rock. It hit with so much velocity that it nicked the metal frame. He also hit my wife with a piece of bark mulch which cut her arm.

After these incidents I spoke with an owner of a large local lawn care firm about his policy on deflectors. His policy is the first time a worker is caught with shields up it is a warning, the second time is a day off without pay, the third time they are fired.

I think this is a lot more serious than many people take it.

02DURAMAX
05-31-2007, 01:06 AM
The guard is on it, just up and away.

Same here.....

jkingrph
06-01-2007, 07:12 PM
A couple of years ago I was passing a local school, the grounds of which were being mowed by an employee on a large ZTR with the deflector completely removed. It launched a rock and completely took out the side window of my pickup camper shell. The school administrator did not want to pay the full replacement, but wanted me to file on my insurance and they would pay deductible. I said no go you broke it you fix it. They did.

Funny thing, the administrator said she had just attended a seminar covering liabilities and this was a specific item mentioned.