PDA

View Full Version : expensive mistake

Mdirrigation
07-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Yesterday we were driving down Rt 100 in Maryland and i noticed that the road was darker on the slow lane , like someone spilled something. We passed 4 accidents , but the dark stuff on the side of the road was much worse 3 miles down . I recognized the smell . Another mile down the road was a truck with a 1000 gallon sealcoat tank, Maryland dept of the Environment , 4 state police . Somebody is in realy deep shi--- . On my return trip I looked at the odometer , 9 miles of spilled seal coat . This was also morning rush hour , I called a cop friend of mine , they had over 200 calls about sealer on cars in the first hour . Somebodys insurance company is going to be paying out big time

BSDeality
07-27-2006, 09:46 PM
not even winning the lottery could have made that guys day better.

NPCA
08-03-2006, 11:33 AM
No joke...what a horror story.
And since the environmental people were there they may very likely be out of business. The environmental fines and clean up costs (a spill is almost always considered a EPA violation even though it is intended for use on pavement, it was "spilled" not applied) will probably force them into bankruptcy.
Very few contractors carry environmental insurance and do not realize it isn't covered by their liability policies.
One contractor we know spilled far less (and not on a highway) but some made it into a storm drain. He called in on himself and already had a certified environmental clean up contractor on-site when the authorities arrived. Because he was pro-active and "turned himself in" they made the rare exception of waiving the fines.
He only had to pat the clean-up costs...$25,000 uninsured. And he was glad to do it.
Needless to say he now pays for that expensive extra "environmental" policy. He said that $25K would have covered the insurance for 5-7 years.

PROCUT1
08-05-2006, 07:50 PM
I wonder if everyone got out with brushes and started broomin down the highway, if they could have used the excuse "whoops, sealing the wrong road".

HAHA

We've done it a couple of times with driveways....

Blackgnturbo
02-24-2007, 02:30 PM
I rolled over a 300 gal full tank!! Fire trucks and police came. Noone wanted to touch it..No tickets were issued. We cleaned it up with mulch shuvels and 5 gal buckets. It was on a side road but Still a stress balloon.