PDA

View Full Version : Gooseneck verses pintle hitch

GreginAlaska
07-27-2006, 09:00 AM
Here's a question for all you towing experts. Would a triple axle gooseneck trailer have less tendency to sway than a triple axle pintle hitch trailer when the weight on the trailer is somewhat aft of where it should be?

I put a hydroseeder on a 22 foot triple axle pintle hitch trailer and I had to bring it further forward than I wanted to keep it from swaying. I wonder if I could move the hydroseeder toward the rear if I had a gooseneck put on it?

Dirty Water
07-27-2006, 09:40 AM
The gooseneck will be far more stable than a pintle hitch trailor.

grassmanak
07-27-2006, 02:30 PM
the gooseneck is far superior like stated above, the seeder should be placed over the axels to keep from swaying.

McKeeLand
07-27-2006, 10:49 PM
You always need some tongue weight to tow safely. No tongue weight means that the trailer is balanced on its own axles which is like towing wagon behind your truck. Its even worse if the trailer is lifting the back of your truck up from to much weight on the a$$ of the trailer.

Scag48
07-27-2006, 11:07 PM
It won't matter what kind of hitch setup you have, not enough tongue weight makes for an unstable ride. The gooseneck will be far more stable, that's for sure, but putting the load behind the axles on either setup will result in swaying. I have noticed, however, that on goosenecks the swaying occurs in a lesser degree.

gammon landscaping
07-29-2006, 12:08 AM
a gooseneck by design had the axels further back because you can put alot of tounge weight on a truck when it is right on top of you axle

Gravel Rat
07-29-2006, 12:53 AM
The only time I would want a pintle hitch trailer would be a equipment trailer you pull behind a dump truck.

PLM-1
07-29-2006, 12:59 AM
Tandem duals are the way to go.

GreginAlaska
07-29-2006, 04:10 AM
Thanks for the info guys. :)