07-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Dixon Ram Mag 50" cut with 20 hp Kohler twin $4,450
(Dealer is 10 miles away)
or
Hustler Fas Trak 52" cut with 20 hp Kohler twin $4,500
(Dealer is 35 miles away)

nmurph
07-27-2006, 03:39 PM
go to the Hustler forum and read. pay special attention to the way the factory rep handles any problems that arise. then read go to the Hustler website and compare the warranties of the Hustler's vs. Dixons. i'm not downing Dixons. my dad has had one for 6 years and it has been a trouble-free mower. i looked at dixon bf i bought Hustler. i have never second guessed my decision.

TriCountyLawn
07-27-2006, 03:39 PM
I would drive 50 miles to get the Hustler!

tkcrabby
07-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the replies guys,
I have been over on the Hustler forum and I have noticed how the factory guys jump right on any questions or problems people seem to have.

Can you guys tell me any "real" differences between the specs of these two mowers? It seems from what I've read they should be VERY close to the same thing,,,,,,,,, I did notice that the Hustler FasTrac has an auto set brake system when you return the steering levers to the outward position the emergency brake engages and the Dixon doesn't,,,, the Charged IZT units seem to be the same , Both have Kohler engines, both have welded or fabricated decks. I can't check them out side by side,,,,,,,,

By the way, what's the difference between "IZT" and "Charged IZT" anyways?

tkcrabby
07-27-2006, 06:42 PM
I stand corrected, I had been told that BOTH the Dixon Ram Mag and the Hustler FasTrac had charged IZT's BUT when I went to the Hustler & Dixon web sites and read the spec sheets for these two models I found that the Dixon Ram Mag HAS the "Charged IZT's" while the Hustler FasTrac does NOT have the "Charged IZT's" ,,,,,,, does this make the Dixon the one to get?

tkcrabby
07-27-2006, 09:02 PM
Well, now I'm confused again ,, I was contacted by a Hustler "rep" and he said they've used IZT-C trans for years now on the FasTraks and that the "C" stands for Charged,,,, BUT the spec sheet from their web site does NOT say IZT-C it says IZT........... do now I have no idea of what to think. Anyone know 100% sure one way or the other?

tkcrabby
07-29-2006, 12:04 AM
Given the lastest info , being that BOTH mowers have the "Charged IZT's" which is the one to get?

Help me out guys! Please................

steve45
07-29-2006, 12:09 AM
I've owned one of the old cone-drive Dixons for more than 20 years. I realize that the new mowers are a hell of a lot better, but their parts & service still suck.

You couldn't GIVE me a Dixon!

tkcrabby
07-29-2006, 01:26 AM
:confused: Darn-it! I just found out that the Dixon has a Kohler Command Pro 20hp twin BUT the Hustler FasTrak has a Kohler 20hp single Cyl engine, they don't tell the exact model on their web site, so to get a twin I'd have to pay another $600 or so to get a 20 hp Honda twin on the FasTrak and it's already at the exreme upper end of my price range., I might have to get the Dixon now because I've read a lot about a twin being much better than a single cyl engine, right? :confused:

tkcrabby
08-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Guess I'm getting the Dixon Ran Mag 50, I went to check it out today and it has the Kohler Command PRO 20 hp twin engine, where as the FasTrak has a Kohler "Courage" 20 hp single cylinder engine. The Dixon has the same "Charged IZT's" with 7" fans, The Hustler does have a larger fuel tank at 12.2 gal while the Dixon has a 5.5 gal , BUT I think I'll be able to get by with being able to mow my 1.5 acres twice pre tank with the Dixon vrs , maybe 4.5 times with the Hustler,,,,,,,,,,,, I do really like the Hustler's emergency brake sitting automatically AND I really like the warranty being 4 years instead of the Dixon's 3 year parts 2 years labor BUT they are close enough to being the same that in the end the fact that the dealer is a lot closer to me turned the head towards the Dixon for the last time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, The Hustler dealer was very nice each time I talked to him AND I've "Heard" that the Dixon dealer takes care of the customer after the sale and is a great guy to deal with after the sale...................

nmurph
08-02-2006, 09:00 AM
congratulations on your new mower. i'm sure in 20 years you'll not regret spending the extra $600 to have best mower for your money!
seriously, i do wish you the best. as i stated in an earlier post, my dad has had a dixon for several years with no problems (note- he did have a pump motor go out, but it turned out that there was a spacer missing from the factory).

Mowingman
08-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Dixon just sold out , the factory is closed down, and all production is being moved to Nebraska. Good luck getting parts for any Dixon you buy. Husquvarna bought Dixon, and they already have a horrible reputation for supplying parts and handling warranty issues.
If you have not written the check yet, you had better reconsider that Dixon purchase.

tkcrabby
08-02-2006, 11:13 AM
"If you have not written the check yet, you had better reconsider that Dixon purchase."
I'd heard about the buy out and that many folks don't care for Husky,,,,,,,,,,,,, I didn't realize they were THAT bad though,, hummm, maybe I should think about the hustler,,,,,,,,,, The eXmark dealer here is a total jerk and won't even get out of his seat to go outside and look at a machine with ya' , the Dixon dealer is a great guy BUT I guess he's out now, the guy who handles Hustler is a much longer drive than I wanted to deal with.

Crap! I may not even buy a ZTR now,,,, I'm getting tired of messin' with this.....BUT I NEED a mower, I don't know what to do!!!!!!!!!

nmurph
08-02-2006, 03:41 PM
HUSTLER......now get going!

tkcrabby
08-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Nope, I went and talked to the Dixon dealer today,,, I've known him a good many years now,,,,,,,,,, not real well personally BUT I do know him,,,,,,, anyways, he basically said that he'll take care of me,,,,,,,,,, he said they'd been Dixon Dealers for 14 years and had never had trouble getting parts till the last two weeks and he said he expected that since the were moving from Kansas to Nebraska and he doesn't think Husky would be helping their cause IF they make it hard to get parts for the Dixon's ,,,,, he feels there are so many out in the land that Husky would be doing themselves a lot of harm if they did so,,,,,,,,,, he also said that IF Husky/Dixon didn't want to pay for a warranty problem that basically he'd take care of what ever the problem was himself. I went ahead and took the guy at his word,,,,,, I believe he'll do what he says he'll do , if I didn't I'd would have gone with Hustler.

$4000 including taxes to so I feel I got as good a s deal as possible to.

nmurph
08-03-2006, 08:38 AM
and what did you expect him to say?

tkcrabby
08-03-2006, 09:37 AM
"and what did you expect him to say?"

This guy is NOT like most people now-a-days, he's a throw back, a man of his word.

I believe him when he says, "I'll take care of you" , of course only time will tell but at this point I feel I've done the right thing.

KS_Grasscutter
08-07-2006, 02:38 AM
Nope, I went and talked to the Dixon dealer today,,, I've known him a good many years now,,,,,,,,,, not real well personally BUT I do know him,,,,,,, anyways, he basically said that he'll take care of me,,,,,,,,,, he said they'd been Dixon Dealers for 14 years and had never had trouble getting parts till the last two weeks and he said he expected that since the were moving from Kansas to Nebraska and he doesn't think Husky would be helping their cause IF they make it hard to get parts for the Dixon's ,,,,, he feels there are so many out in the land that Husky would be doing themselves a lot of harm if they did so,,,,,,,,,, he also said that IF Husky/Dixon didn't want to pay for a warranty problem that basically he'd take care of what ever the problem was himself. I went ahead and took the guy at his word,,,,,, I believe he'll do what he says he'll do , if I didn't I'd would have gone with Hustler.

$4000 including taxes to so I feel I got as good a s deal as possible to.

I think you made a very good purchase. You got the Ram 50 MAG for $4000? HOLY CRAP, you got one heck of a deal...i paid a thousand more for my homeowner 44 inch this spring...

EDIT- now that i think about it, mine was a $900 more because of the bagger...i assume yours has no bagger?

tkcrabby
08-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Nope, no bagger,,,,,,,,,,, but still a good deal I feel..................... I really sort of look forward to mowing again,,,,, sorta sick I guess BUT true.

lifetree
12-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Good decision to get the Dixon RAM, I got one earlier this year and love it.