07-28-2006, 05:24 PM
yeah you wish

this is what i'm waiting for

like an inline 4 cylinder that gets 30 MPG highway

something with enough torq to pull a smaller trailer

i could get rid of my car.

Tharrell
07-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Mitsubishi used to have one in their mighty max. Not sure what the mileage was though. So did Isuzu.

oldrustycars
07-28-2006, 07:08 PM
my plan is to install a Cummins 4T-390 engine in a half ton pickup to see how that works. its just a 4 cylinder version of the dodge cummins. turbo versions are 120 horsepower.

South Florida Lawns
07-28-2006, 08:09 PM
my plan is to install a Cummins 4T-390 engine in a half ton pickup to see how that works. its just a 4 cylinder version of the dodge cummins. turbo versions are 120 horsepower.

Too bad that engine weighs like 900lbs, I seen that 390 in a jeep it was sweet.

HenryB
07-28-2006, 10:58 PM
Isuzu, Nissan, Mitsu. and Toyota have 4 cyl turbo diesels running all over the world except the US, our gov. will never let them in it would be the death of the "Big Three" in truck sales .

Tharrell
07-29-2006, 04:33 AM
Maybe some of the guys in Afganistan will bring back some war trophies.
A four door diesel 4 wheel drive would be sweet!

Scag48
07-29-2006, 05:40 AM
Isuzu, Nissan, Mitsu. and Toyota have 4 cyl turbo diesels running all over the world except the US, our gov. will never let them in it would be the death of the "Big Three" in truck sales .

The Isuzu NPR is a turbo/intercooled 4 cylinder diesel that's been around for years. If you guys want a light duty truck with low horsepower and decent mileage, buy an NPR. Everyone gets stuck on buying from Ford, GM, or Chrysler when there are other options available. Personally, my truck suits me just fine (for the time being, anyway) and fuel prices are what they are, but if you're really focused on economy, those Japanese trucks get the job done. I'll probably buy a Fuso next time around with a service body and let the drump truck be the fuel hog.

Randy J
07-29-2006, 08:43 AM
Jeep Liberty was produced with a diesel. I say was as the engine doesn't meet US emissions requirements and won't be put in the Liberty any longer. Jeep does plan to come out with a diesel Grand Cherokee though. Not quite P/U's, but I still like it.

lawnboy dan
07-29-2006, 09:55 PM
i had a isuzu deisel truck -got 30mpg city! they stopped importing them in the mid eighties so they are mostly long gone. great work truck

notoriousDUG
07-29-2006, 09:59 PM

I want to replace the 6.2L in my K5 with a 4BT. The only thing stopping me is that the little bastard wieghs over 200 lbs MORE then my 6.2 and makes only about the same power!

The 4BT is a great motor but IMHO a little heavy for a stock 1.2 ton front end.

I think as we see diesels evolve (they are already changing in how they are designed internally) and bio fuels become more prevalent we will see some very interestign motors in 1/2 ton and mini truck platforms.

BSDeality
07-30-2006, 11:18 PM
My next work vehicle is going to be a frieghtliner Sprinter with the 2.7L MB diesel. 25-30 mpg with 1800lbs of gear in the back. its a no brainer

tthomass
08-01-2006, 12:09 AM
i think if GM offered a diesel in a 1500 and in the Hummer that it would be a great seller................same for Ford and Dodge

Scag48
08-01-2006, 01:59 AM
GM did offer a 6.2 liter diesel in the early 80's in the 1500 series. I had one, hated it. When I sold it, it had about 118K on it. Great for an occasional use truck as it was my Grandpa's truck, he bought in new in '82, but as a daily driver no way. It was my first vehicle when I turned 16 and I turned it after a year and a half. Lemon motor. It did get 20-22 MPG and it wasn't a light truck by any means, it was around 6100 pounds empty. There was actually a huge notice in the owners manual stating the engine was designed for fuel economy, not towing capacity, in mind. What a joke!

notoriousDUG
08-01-2006, 09:51 AM
GM did offer a 6.2 liter diesel in the early 80's in the 1500 series. I had one, hated it. When I sold it, it had about 118K on it. Great for an occasional use truck as it was my Grandpa's truck, he bought in new in '82, but as a daily driver no way. It was my first vehicle when I turned 16 and I turned it after a year and a half. Lemon motor. It did get 20-22 MPG and it wasn't a light truck by any means, it was around 6100 pounds empty. There was actually a huge notice in the owners manual stating the engine was designed for fuel economy, not towing capacity, in mind. What a joke!

6.2 is a fine motor if you use it for what it was designed for and understand it's limits. I have a 6.2 in my K5 with almosy 250K on it. They where ment to be a light truck motor in somethign that never saw heavy loads and to be fuel efficient. A job they do great. My K5 gets 20-26 MPG dependign on my driving and if I use an additive. It isnot goign to win any races with 90HP but the 300ft/lbs of torque in a flat curve make sure it never stops trying.

lawnmaniac883
08-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Cummins just announced that they will be manufacturing high performance diesel engines for an auto maker, they said we will see them before 2010. www.cummins.com for more info.

RedWolf
08-07-2006, 01:51 AM
I still have my 82 isuzu pup diesel.Its one hell of a truck.Its 4wd 4 speed.It still gets 35 mpg and runs strong.Now used to pull out tree stumps with it but stoped as every forth stump would rip the bumper off the truck and body parts are now hard to find for them.the 4wd trannys are stronger than the 2wd and i still use it from time to time to pull the trailer to jobs.She smokes like a old Detroit Diesel and marks her spot but the old girl still has a long life ahead of her.it was the first truck i got and ill never let go of her.