PDA

View Full Version : Measure distance of lawn

BobCat#1
07-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Hey guys,just wondering.I want to measure my yard so i'll know exactley how much land i have and how much fertilizer i will have to buy.I wanted to know your thouhts on how i can measure it.I thought about getting one of those,i call it a rolling measure,you know the kind with the wheel on it and you walk off the distance.If i use one of these would i just walk around my yard and get that distance,and then walk side to side and get that distance,then add it together?LMK Thanks alot.

Team-Green L&L
07-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Hey guys,just wondering.I want to measure my yard so i'll know exactley how much land i have and how much fertilizer i will have to buy.I wanted to know your thouhts on how i can measure it.I thought about getting one of those,i call it a rolling measure,you know the kind with the wheel on it and you walk off the distance.If i use one of these would i just walk around my yard and get that distance,and then walk side to side and get that distance,then add it together?LMK Thanks alot.

You answered your own question. Use a measuring wheel...or you can take your ruler and go end over end with it for 3 days. LOL

hdtvluvr
07-29-2006, 10:13 AM
You could purchase a measure wheel. However, I would simply walk it and count steps. In other words, do this:
Walking like you normally do, measure the distance you walk after say 5 steps (measure from first heel to last toe). Now walk your property on one direction. As an exanple, lets say that 5 steps measures 12 feet and your property is 100 steps wide. Divide 100 by 5 and multiply the result by 12.

Do the same for the depth of your yard. To get square feet, multiply length by width.

Of course, you will also need to measure your house, driveway, other buildings, etc. and subtract their square ft from your total square ft.

Using the walking method while not 100% accurate, will be pretty close.

An acre is 43, 560 sq. ft.

Team-Green L&L
07-29-2006, 10:22 AM
You could purchase a measure wheel. However, I would simply walk it and count steps. In other words, do this:
Walking like you normally do, measure the distance you walk after say 5 steps (measure from first heel to last toe). Now walk your property on one direction. As an exanple, lets say that 5 steps measures 12 feet and your property is 100 steps wide. Divide 100 by 5 and multiply the result by 12.

Do the same for the depth of your yard. To get square feet, multiply length by width.

Of course, you will also need to measure your house, driveway, other buildings, etc. and subtract their square ft from your total square ft.

Using the walking method while not 100% accurate, will be pretty close.

An acre is 43, 560 sq. ft.

This is ridiculous! Sorry, but it is.

grass_cuttin_fool
07-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Go with a measuring wheel, harbour freight has them at times for 20-25 bux. You have the right idea with the width and length but instead of adding them you need to multiply them to get sq feet

wayne

BobCat#1
07-29-2006, 12:14 PM
for the help.I think i'll get a measure wheel.

hdtvluvr
07-29-2006, 01:59 PM
This is ridiculous! Sorry, but it is.

Haven't you ever seen or heard ol' timers doing this? While I'm not an ol' timer I do know of 2 that can measure this way within about 10%. Since the original poster is a homeowner, he really only needs a good ballpark fiqure. So what if he is slightly off?

ed2hess
07-29-2006, 06:09 PM
for the help.I think i'll get a measure wheel.
The wheel is just something that you will have to store somewhere.....just walk it off. About 3 ft per step or measure you stride. YOu will be close enough most people won't weigh out the fertilize even if they now the exact square footage. They get a bag and put it on.

EMWEB
07-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Why not check your deed / property sale info . . . It will tel you exactly how large your yard / lot / acreage is . . .

gammon landscaping
07-31-2006, 02:31 AM
the stpping off is alot more accuate than you think. i have a wheel i use but before i got one i stepped off everything. when i step i step a little longer than normal and multaply by 3. i can get with in 5% this way which is as close you need for fert

and always listen to old timers, they have already been here and done that. and far more experanced than most of us

MarcSmith
07-31-2006, 09:02 AM
Just remember if you use your property acreage, to take out the sq footage for your driveway and footprint of your house...

Just pace it off.

Brendan Smith
07-31-2006, 11:37 AM
personally, i'm a member of the pacing off school for fert and stuff. anything else, i measure twice and order/cut once :)

MarcSmith
07-31-2006, 12:10 PM
Once you get comfortable with your pace/distance its a peice of cake...

I just paced out a hillside along a sidewalk for installing some groundcover. it was 30' X 320'. I was 3' high(33) going up the the hill, and I was 10 feet low (310) measuring along the sidewalk. so I ended up being 630 sqft to much... Which is about 6%. I'm ok with that.... I figure bythe time i order 10000 plugs, I'll figure out some place to use th extra 600, or I'll get 600 plugs here and there that just won't make it....

I judged the CLT test this past weekend in MD. My problem to judge was Plan Layout.

On friday while we were setting up on a whim I retook the test but I only measured off of the plan. I did not measure on the ground. Per the test you are allowed +- 6" on shrubs and +-2" on annuals I passed with an 80% just by using my feet My annuals were off a smidge.

One of the other judges was a designer and we had a good discussion on measuring in the field for plant placement versus pacing... They were suprised how well I did on my "test"

Yes there are times when you will need some accurate measurements, but for the most part Landscaping is not an exact science and the plans as drawn are always subject to interpretation when you are in the field. I call it creative liscence

jeffinsgf
07-31-2006, 03:14 PM
I've always been able to pace off at three feet to the stride and be darn close. I'm six feet tall, and I take a just slightly longer than normal stride. I'll be within 5% most of the time.

A plat will give you the lot dimensions to the fraction of an inch, but then you have to back out the house, outbuildings, patios, decks, etc.