PDA

View Full Version : ? On Tire Load Range ratings and WWYD

newz7151
07-29-2006, 08:59 PM
Ok, needed tires on the back of the truck. The Michie's were just about treadless (used to be on the front and were victim of bad alignment job at some point). Anyway.. went to the bouncing yellow happy face (Wal-Mart)to get tires.

Went and paid for and ordered (meaning to have put on) these
Goodyear Tracker 2
Size: LT265/75R16 $114.88 each
Type: Light Truck-Highway
Sidewall Cosmetics: OWL
Speed Rating: P (94 mph)
Weather: All Season
M+S: Y
Load Range: C

When I got home and looked at the tires, what I have (or assume I have since the Load Range says E instead of C) is these
Goodyear Tracker 2
Size: LT265/75R16 $133.82 each
Type: Light Truck-Highway
Sidewall Cosmetics: BW
Speed Rating: P (94 mph)
Weather: All Season
M+S: Y
Load Range: E

Now, should I go back and point out to them that they put the wrong ones on, or have I actually come out better durability and strength wise?

Come to think of it, I better go make sure all my lugnuts are back on and in the right direction.

Jason Rose
07-29-2006, 09:14 PM
so did you pay for the load range C or the E? if you paid for the C and got the E then good for you for screwing Wally world! LOL! THe E rated tires will be a stiffer ride but will sure handle loads better and more safely.

notoriousDUG
07-29-2006, 09:52 PM
you got a better tire.

And IMO you got the tire you should have been buying in the first place...

newz7151
07-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Jason - Paid for the C and got the E. I don't feel I am screwing WallyWorld. I'm not signing the paycheck of the person they hired. Also, this is not the first screw up by WW. I had 4 new tires put on my dad's truck a little while back (very little use vehicle now since he got laid off) drove it home and thought something was strange. Got out, looked at the tires, had 3 LT255/75R16's and one P235/75R16. :dizzy:

Don't really mind much that it will be a stiffer rear ride. It's a truck, not a NASCAR 800HP racing machine that floats inches off the ground. Says 3415LB @ 80PSI. (like I'm gonna put 80PSI in a tire!)

DUG : "And IMO you got the tire you should have been buying in the first place..."
Why? The 2 Michie's on the front are Load Range C tires and they've been pretty decent. Don't really carry anything in the bed. Just ocassionaly pull a trailer. Just had to get tires so I can pass inspection.

notoriousDUG
07-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Personally I do not consider load range C tires to be suitable for truck use.

Any truck I own and plan to work I put a high load range, quality tire on. I think it has a longer service life, is safer and has less chance of failure.

The only thing I will put cheap tireson is a twin I-beam Ford that gets heavy use, they burn tires off the front.

xcopterdoc
07-30-2006, 11:00 PM
The only reason the old Twin I beams use up tires is because no one does a real alignment on em any more. I have a 67 that has more than 650,000 on it. Tire wear is not an issue.